IGNORED

Went down yesterday

Beachbum

So yesterday it was in the low 60s, so I rode my scoot to work. On the way home a guy in a van decided to change lanes from the left lane to the right lane. Unfortunately I was in the left lane! I headed for the shoulder but he clipped me and I went off roading thru the median, plowing thru a construction sign and leaping a culvert before laying it down and plowing up some Georgia mud! Thankfully all my gear did it’s job and I’m okay. I rode my bike home and now the fight with the insurance company can start. Sigh. Crappy start to 2019, but also super lucky!1DBAB083-B813-4E91-A7A9-1BB672CD8049.jpg1DBAB083-B813-4E91-A7A9-1BB672CD8049.jpg

Glad you are okay. Hopefully the person that clipped you stopped.

Yes they did. Tbh I think it was only because some other motorists stopped to assist. Either way, I’m glad they did. Some other riders who were out stopped and helped me get my bike out of the median. Good to know there’s still nice people out there.

First off so glad that you came out OK.

Second it does not look like the bike was hurt to bad.

Unfortunately the insurance will almost automatically call it totaled just because of its age. And then that designation will live on on the title forever. So even if you put all new parts on and bring it back to like new, it will always have reduced value due to having been totaled once before. Make sure that IF you keep it that the insurance compensates you for that reduced future value. Not to mention that some insurance companies will not cover anything with a salvage title.

This is probably the one scenario where having the loudest horns possible can actually save you.

Bikes can always be replaced, they made a billion of these things anyway. Thankfully you are still walking and talking, the take away is maybe this; you got your accident out of the way with no serious injury. SCORE! With a secondary score of having good citizens come to your aid. Again, so happy your in tact!

Now you can get the blue Venture you've always secretly wanted haha!

Let me guess, "he didn't see you" too many blind drivers out there. Thanks to those who stopped to help.

Pleased you are OK, & that your gear all worked as it should. The bike will fix! If we have to have accidents lets hope none are worse than yours.

Good luck with the insurance, hope that works out for you.

That is an absolute Bummer!! So glad you were wearing the right gear and walked away from it!

Unfortunately, as already brought out, the insurance company will total it and you won't get much money for it because of its age. Try to get salvage rights for it and either fix it yourself or part it out and make your money back that way...

--

As to a cage "not seeing you" is an easy situation. Figure how often when we're in our cage that we don't always know what's going on in all corners of our area at all times. Especially when there's a lot of traffic. So I don't get angry when that happens to me when I'm on my bike. Angry only if it's on purpose as I know they saw me.

In coming down to Arizona this fall, I passed a bike while in my truck pulling my trailer with a bike on it. Looked in mirrors, didn't see him so figured he dropped back, changed lanes. Then I saw him pull up as I got into his lane just in front of him. I don't think he was pissed since he knew I was a biker and wouldn't have done that on purpose. Thing is, he just happened to be at EXACTLY the right position to be in a dead spot on my view.

I think as I get older and especially as I have more experience each year riding a bike, I become more aware and also more tolerant of others in traffic.

Another thing, one of my Road Stars was declared a total. I bought it back from the insurance company for a partial amount of what they gave me for it, fixed a few things, and have ridden it since for about 75,000 miles. So that worked out. 043.jpg If this photo shows up, you can see the bike is in pretty good shape still after about 110,000 miles.

--

My 83 was totaled about ten years ago when a 4X4 backed in to it and knocked it over. I ended up getting about $3600 for it and bought it back for $200. They had I believe, State Farm and when I talked to them and we were settling, she mentioned that they would not spend the time to brand the title on an older motorcycle. What was kind of funny was when working on my to be ex wife's van, I saw where she had dug out the paper from the settlement where it had been worth $3,600, which she wanted half of, but I guess her lawyer advised her that with a salvage value of $200, to forget it.

Bad way to start the new year, but you just might come out better than you think and still keep your bike.Plus, you mostly came away so far with just some hurt feelings.

Also, are you going to put some LOUD air horns on it now? I think that is probably the best insurance that I put on my bike and have NO DOUBT that they saved my life or at least serious injury on more than one occasion in the 150,000 miles I put on it.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

, Sorry to hear you went down yesterday but I'm glad you're all right. There's still plenty of year left to have a happy New Year.,, the insurance company just might surprise you they did me. I got hit by a distracted driver in October busted ankle tendon problems on my hand bruised ribs totaled 07 Royal Star tour Deluxe with 92,000 on it.. They actually gave me quite a bit more than I thought they would right off the bat Maybe they're just being nice or so they don't get sued Anyway glad you're okay

Forgive us: in a perverse sorta way, this was a LOT better than it had any right to be.

Your 'MAJOR Mishap' is History; without any significant damage to yourself, the bike (obviously loved) looks salvageable, PLUS there's plenty of time to set things right, and SERIOUSLY enjoy the entire 2019 Riding Season.

Most important action required at this point: back in the Saddle, and RIDE!!~

By far not the least important: Congratulations on some very impressive Riding Skills, bringing that Bike to a stop in far better circumstances than could have been.

Rgds, WRIDR

Man sorry to hear about anyone having a close call like this. As has been mentioned more then a couple times the insurance company will probably write it off if you had full coverage on it. But the first person/place you need to get after for compensation is the cager that ran you off the road. A salvage title anything is worth pennies on the dollar. You will be lucky if you can get liability on it if repaired. Most of all you say your OK.

--

In coming down to Arizona this fall, I passed a bike while in my truck pulling my trailer with a bike on it. Looked in mirrors, didn't see him so figured he dropped back, changed lanes. Then I saw him pull up as I got into his lane just in front of him. I don't think he was pissed since he knew I was a biker and wouldn't have done that on purpose. Thing is, he just happened to be at EXACTLY the right position to be in a dead spot on my view.

--

Sorry RonK,

I'm going to say it, REAR OBSERVATION, it's not called 'the life saver' in the Roadcraft manual for nothing :Cool_cool36:

This is probably the one scenario where having the loudest horns possible can actually save you.

This is also the rare occasion when loud pipes can actually be good.

I know this from personal experience with my rather loud Ninja and my very quiet VR.

I have decided to make my VR a little louder, but, not too load.