IGNORED

Freebird's Maintenance Day - Do we want to do it?

Freebird

Is there any real interest in this? There are only 35 people confirmed at this time. We skipped the year before last, did it last year and scheduled again for this year but there just doesn't seem to be much interest. I realize that people have only so much time off and maybe we've done this so much that it's getting old. Should we cancel this year and go to an every other year schedule?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb and I would be heartbroken if your maintence day event were to end Don. We make it a point to show up no matter what to see our friends that we never get to see dureing the rest of the year. So many friends from all over. The work that goes on is awsome and the knowledge your event brings is incrediable. The fellowship is secound to none. Just my thought on the subject Don. I hope to see you all soon. :biker:

Don, I don't want to commit that I will be there this year because we will just be getting back from our out west trip near the end of May...

I want to attend, but don't feel right making a commitment at this time.

If the decision is to have MD every other year, a thought comes to my mind where it could be coordinated with the Vogel rally so that one year it's MD and the next year is Vogel...(just a thought)

Are you "Freaking" kidding me, as our good friend Jonesy would say!!! May he RIP!. Kim and I look forward to MD every year! Its the official start to our summer and riding season and its like the best family reunion ever. So I really hope that you continue having it. But with that said, I understand its an awful lot of work for you and Eileen and it may not be worth all the time and effort for a small crowd, I get that. I wonder if we just have alot of procrastinators who have to many things going on to commit this early?? Sure hope ya have it, but if ya dont I understand. For any NewBees within riding distance its a great way to meet the gang, get any questions you may have answered, maybe even a carb sync or clutch fix, and if Squidlys there your baffles will get drilled too! It is a great party!!!!!!!

Craig

It seems like we don't get many newbees to come out to any of our VR events. It seems like we are getting new VR sign ups but don't seem to hear from many of them after they become members. Are we not making them feel welcome? If you are a new member and would like to meet a bunch of great folks, you really need to come out to one of our great events. It will only hurt for a minute lol. I guarantee you will have a great time. Robin and I are going to try to make MD but have to wait and see how thing go with her back and if she will be going back to work. Don, even a small group is better then none. From experience working with the WNY rally a lot of the sign ups come in the last 45 days. I know that doesn't make it any easier for you, but it is what it is.

I was totally out of sync that whole season when we didn't have Don's MD to kick off the year.

I'll be there, thought I'd RSVP'd already, just fixed that. MD has been a CAN'T MISS event ever since I became involved with this group of crazy, food lusting riders. :big-grin-emoticon:

I'd hope to see lots of our new members there, we promise you'll have a good time weather or not you need to work on the scoot. :thumbsup2:

Debbie and I are looking forward to it. Hopefully this years will happen. I hope that some of the new members will come and meet this great group. I remember when we made the decision to make our first maint day. We were wondering how we would feel since we didn't know anyone at the time and we are glad we did come. we have made some good friends and always look forward to any ventureriders meetings . So if anyone that has never came before, you need to come and enjoy a great group of people who will make you feel welcome and learn a lot about working on your own bike. Just my 2 cents worth. Joe

Maintenance Day is still the biggest draw for members - more people go to MD than Internationals (from what I've seen). To me it is the event of the season.

I'd be fine if you wanted to scale down a bit - we don't need a catered lunch. Doing a bbq or going to a local restaurant would be fine. Having Saturday day/evening with members is what counts. We usually come down Friday so we get to enjoy the Friday evening meal together.

Link to sign up - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=464&day=2016-6-11&c=1

Are you "Freaking" kidding me, as our good friend Jonesy would say!!! May he RIP!. Kim and I look forward to MD every year! Its the official start to our summer and riding season and its like the best family reunion ever. So I really hope that you continue having it. But with that said, I understand its an awful lot of work for you and Eileen and it may not be worth all the time and effort for a small crowd, I get that. I wonder if we just have alot of procrastinators who have to many things going on to commit this early?? Sure hope ya have it, but if ya dont I understand. For any NewBees within riding distance its a great way to meet the gang, get any questions you may have answered, maybe even a carb sync or clutch fix, and if Squidlys there your baffles will get drilled too! It is a great party!!!!!!!

Craig

+ 2 for that category!! Would LOVE to say for sure for Tip and I but,, and then there's,,,,, and who know's if.... Time will tell and we sure hope that what it ends up telling is that we are able to make it to Oberlin this year!! WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Normally I look forward to MD every year, but with my daughter in Nova Scotia needing a lot of help with her new house due to hidden damage I can't commit to being there. Here are some pics of the damage my son and took care of last year when I had to bail out of going to MD.

20150610_155153.jpg

20150610_155206.jpg

20150610_162229_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150610_194308_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150611_192548.jpg

20150611_203258.jpg

20150620_082922.jpg

@saddlebum, nice work!

Re: MD

As one of the newbies, I've yet to make a long trip to an event. Been two years. But things are progressing on the personal side, so this summer may hold promise for me. Plus, even though I know I can still put miles on a scoot, I'm hesitant to spend two weeks on road. So I'm not sure I can commit. But will make up my mind soon..... I really don't like sitting on fence.

As far as this year, Don... That really is your call. I can only imagine the effort you both put in to making your home available for a whole bunch of idiots like us!! So if you say not this year, then so it is.

And if I do decide to make a trip.... And MD is cancelled... I'll just change directions a tad more West and have hot dogs with PUC and Tippy... And try to meet VR members along the way!!

Well Don, you should know by now that this family IS a bunch of procrastinators! We run into the same thing with the WNY Rally. Very few people sign up at first, then at the last minute they finally sign up, or just show up without signing up! Very frustrating when you are trying to get an accurate headcount so to plan accordingly for meals, reservations, etc...

I personally enjoy coming to MD, but understand fully what is involved with setting up an event and would accept it if you scaled back.

We have the same issue with Asheville where the pace picks up a lot near the end and have always had a pretty good turnout. We do Asheville every other year opposite of Vogal and that has worked out good. I had missed a couple of Vogal events and really enjoyed it last year as it was a lot more laid back like Asheville. Sometimes, less is more on putting together a big event.

Linda and I are hoping to take a trip towards the west this year and if we do we will be pulling the Time Out camper with the Miata. We have also talked about the possibility of going to MD this year, but right now I really can not commit on anything. I have been once and it was a great adventure and would like to go again.

Randy