IGNORED

Deer 1, stanG 0

stanG

Well after 6 years of riding to work in the dark and a couple near missed it finally happened. Tuesday morning I saw one cross in front of me up the road so I had slowed down to about 25mph looking for more. Then the next thing is I'm down off the left side. Didn't see the deer, didn't feel it. The rest was slow motion. Slide, roll, slide, roll, stop. The whole time I can see the bike sliding along next to me sparks flying off the crash bars.

I layed there for a split second assessing my injury situation. I knew I lost some skin on my knees and left arm. Everything else ok. The bike had stalled but was laying on it side lights on radio playing. This was 4:45am and not a car in sight, not even a headlight. I decided to pick the bike up and assess the damage. Left footpeg and shifter bent pretty bad but functional. So I jumped on, got it started and rode the remaining six miles to work. Called the boss and told him I was heading to emergency.

Bottom line... Road rash on both knees and a pretty good spot on my left arm plus a sprained foot. Really lucky. Jacket was a lifesaver. Helmet doesn't have a mark on it. (And yes, I was wearing it)

20160920_175349.jpg20160921_095526.jpg20160921_095515.jpg20160921_095505.jpg20160921_095431.jpg

That arm sure looks familiar... I haven't had any hair growth on my right thigh for 50 years. Ground all the hair follicles off sliding thru an intersection on my right side and asset. Pre ATGATT. T-Shirt, Burmuda shorts, and sandals.. Took months before the thick scabs finally sluffed off. The first couple days, every time I bent my leg the scab would crack and bleed making the scab thicker. Hope you heal quickly. Don't pick at it!!!!!!

Whew, glad you are OK!

I too can't imagine what the arm would look like if you weren't wearing the jacket. Kudos to you for the helmet as well!

Wishing you fast healing and fun wrenching fixing the scoot!

david

P.S. I'm rethinking the idea of armor underware......wonder if I can handle the Arizona heat with it on...

knight armor.gif

Stan, I may have a spare gold fairing in fair shape, better than what you now have, I'll check if you're interested.

Glad you're OK, I know all about smacking a deer, Becky and I hit one with the RSV coming back from MD, we had the bike for 3 days and just put on it's first 500 miles! Did around $6000 damage but somehow I kept the bike upright but it did take about a 1/2 mile to finally stop...

Dude! Glad you're okay. But I gotta ask; what brand of riding jacket were you wearing??? That bad of a scrape isn't supposed to happen with a high quality jacket. I'd ditch the brand you're wearing.

Hoping you heal fast.

Big Lenny

The jacket is a high quality jacket. The jacket leather was scraped but intact, not ripped up at all. The abrasion/burn came from inside the jacket. Some of the nylon mesh liner fabric is melted. I turned the sleeve inside out and found a good supply of my epidermis.