IGNORED

Yamaha Part three

slowrollwv

Well, as much as I hate it, I pretty much agree with you that it will be a VTwin. I have nothing against VTwins and I'm sure that a water cooled VTwin can be made to work very well but it just doesn't distinguish it from all the others out there. Harley, Indian, etc. If somebody wants a VTwin, there are a lot of options. A 1700 V4 from the VMax would make Yamaha stand out from the crowd.

In short, I don't think that we are going to see a new Venture. We are going to see some type of VTwin cruiser with updated technologies and I doubt it will be called or reference to the Venture at all.

I agree with you Don.

And as someone already stated on this thread, it might be called a Journey. Considering how many times that word was mentioned in the videos.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is going against the American ideology by wanting a Duc type engine, even the 1300cc V4 is an oddball in the American touring market. The HD-Indian-Victory-Vulcan all have big torquey Vtwins, the Goldwing V6 has low end torque. People who want high-reving HP buy a sport-tourer like the FJR, not a full dresser. Any of my riding buddies I put on my Venture have no idea how I set the pace that I do, they shift at 3k rpm and lug down the motor because that's how "every other bike" does it. While I do like the nature of the V4 in our bikes we here are in the minority of the market and I can't see Yamaha chasing a small section of the market for us die-hards.
. That is hard to disagree with, I was thinking/hoping it would be more along the lines of a higher performance Goldwing, along the lines of a K1600GTL. Bikes like the FJR are awesome but fall more on the sport side of touring, I found it less comfortable than even if the Gen 1. There has to be a market for performance full touring bikes, something like a Goldwing that offers space and amenities but the ability to pull like a MF at highway speeds with two adults and trunks loaded with gear, that isnt a Goldwing. We all know that even the best twins do not shine in this important area of performance. I want a full relaxed touring barge but I want performance too. Honda saw it and sold the snott out of Goldwings and BMW saw it with the K1600 to a lesser degree in the USA. When I heard of this new Venture I right away thought of something like a seriously updated gen1 with that big 4. Something to go head to head with the aging Goldwing. I believe something like that would capture a decent slice of the pie. The market is literally saturated with twin cruisers and tour/cruisers, the competition has to be enormous. So the Goldwing is a touch too stodgy for me, with all due respect to its tremendous success, its close but not quite, and with the GL1800 growing long in the tooth and lots of folks put off by the cost of ownewship of BMW there should be a vacuum for a highly capable full on Japanese touring machine. I have not done any studies and not intimately familiar with market trends, its just hard to imagine a bike cooked from the same recipe book as the goldwing but i fused with more performance and passion would fail to capture its share of buyers vs yet another chrome clad big twin. Wings are great but...yawn haha. Give me that tourability with some passion and Im in. I think it would be well received by the buying public.

I also cant figure out why its so hard to buy a car with 2 doors and a manual transmission, so I know I'm probably wrong and you are right. With the gen 1 way older than my adult children I know it will get replaced at some point. It sucks that Euro bikes like the K1600 and Trophy are the closest matches.

Alot of people love the maxes and the first gens, I know Alot of ppl love the v4s but, the mileage on one.... I would like to see 50-60 on a full dresser...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

. My gen 1vmax can get 40+ if Im gentle and even today it will easily smoke any v twin cruiser im aware of, including a Vrod. The gen1 Venture near as I can tell gets about the same. I think with more conservative cams, heads and the magic of modern EFI/engine management even the big V4 could be on the good side of 40-45. Even if dropped to a 1550 with smaller slugs its sure to be a formidable performer. I have to say, Ive heard the Gen2 Vmax with the 1700 V4 gets pretty dismal mpg and range with its ~200 hp. It would sure have to be retuned for touring. Maybe even with variable length runners like BMW.

Been away for a while, but saw this thread and figured I would throw in my two cents. I will be interested to see what this new bike will be, but reality for me says I won't be shelling out the likely $25K plus asking price. I will "venture" a guess that the new Yamaha "Journey" will have a Base MSRP of $24,900.00 with some paint, Chrome ( think S model), abs and option packages to drive the price toward 30K. With the numerous references to "The Journey", my money says that is the name of the new model, no coincidence they are building the brand and model recognition in the run-up videos. Assuming they are building to compete with the Goldwing, I think they will need a new engine for this. I have never ridden the new V Max 1700, and if anyone has, please tell us if you think it is or capable of being tuned to be Goldwing smooth. If you review the parts fiche for the engine in the new Vmax you will see it still share's quite a few internals with the original V4 engine (some part numbers still have the original gen1 model code prefix). The Yamaha V4 is 1980's and early 90's smooth, but it is not IMHO capable of being made Goldwing smooth and has a lot of mechanical noise, even if you are fortunate enough not to have the whine. They will need more than a retuned V4 with reverse to swing routine Goldwing customer's their way. I worked in a Honda Yamaha Suzuki dealers hip in the early 90's wen the first GL1500's arrived, and we got a lot of Ventures in trade on those. Venture's were a tough sell in 1991-1993 except to the diehard Yamaha fan. They will need to bring a multicylinder engine to the table in the Journey for those guys, A V twin with reverse is not likely to move wing riders at all.

To me one of the most important things they should focus on is balance and feel, particularly slow speed feel. This is the one thing that Harley has in spades in my opinion. When i still had my RSTD, I rented an Ultra Classic while on vacation in Hawaii. Not a fan of the cable clutch, clunk shifting, mystery neutral and typical harley stuff. But the balance of that bike was incredible. No top heavy feeling or feeling it was going to fall over at slow speed, even two up. I was comfortable and confident in the handling almost instantly and had never ridden one before. The RSTD by comparison took alot of getting used to and alot of rear brake dragging and trickery to execute slow speed maneuvers, especially two up. Yamaha can put all the cylinders, horsepower and features they want. But if it ends up being top heavy and doesn't feel well balanced with a low CG with the impression of being easy to ride, it will put off alot of people. I hope Yamaha has spent some hours on an Ultra Classic to baseline the feel and the handling of that bike.

The reality of this bike in the face of manufacturing economics is that other than the new body work, it will likely be mostly assembled from the existing available parts bin. Unless they bit the bullet on an all new engine, expect a liquid cooled version of an existing Vtwin with counter balancing and as much cylinder bore as they can manage and some spiffy new cladding on the cylinders to make it look like a new engine. A starter motor driven reverse option should not be difficult to do. They already have electronic cruise control parts in the bin. Yamaha probably got a vendor to make them a great deal on a ten year supply of Six Disc in-dash CD changers with an auxiliary Input plug for your MP3 player to carry them through the product life cycle........

I guess we will see what the "Journey" will bring in 25 days or so.

Here's a question: What if this really is an all new full boat Touring bike from Yamaha, and what if the name really is Journey? How is that gonna effect our wonderful website's "Venture"rider.org name? We will still be members of a site that represents an obsolete bike. I'm hoping the bike keeps the Venture name. Otherwise, how are we gonna draw new Journey owners to our group?

Hi @Freebird might be a good idea to purchase the "Journeyrider.org" domain while it is still available (just in case). I'm happy to make a donation to cover the cost to keep the "Venture forum Journey continuing down the road". (pun intended)

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 10.33.06 AM.jpg

Now that is a good question and one that has already crossed my mind. The only thing I'm lacking is an answer. :(

Many goldwing riders over at the forum are keeping an eye on what mama Yama has in store. Many already understand Yamaha has been in the top 1-2 for reliability and are on board if they can come up with something that rival or surpasses the GW. Guess we shall see in a few weeks....

It would be dead easy for Yamaha to take the high end V4, tune it to around 140hp and make it silky smooth. Many of you may not remember but the early v4's in the 1st Gens were to smooth so they had to add a little rumble. No one liked the dead smooth motor.

But I think that is going against the current vtwin thinking.

I asked my riding buddy who has an HD Ultra Classic about this...and he said if Yamaha comes out with a fuel injected V4...it will kick everyone's butt. If they come out with a vtwin, it will not sell....because everyone else already has one. HoHum.....

BUT.... in the advertising world, we were always taught to wait until something great is introduced then jump on the bandwagon. Far more effective a sell to be part of the crowd already riding the vtwins. Yamaha just has to do something truly "Value Added". IE, really throw in something that we all want...and do it as standard equipment. That will sway buyers fro the Victory's and HD's to our brand.

As far as the web site is concerned...regardless of the name...the scoots and their riders should be welcome here....and I'm sure they would be. Of course, the new bike could be known as the Star/Yamaha Venture Journey. :cool10::biker:

I have no dog in this hunt, but a nice rumbly vtwin that revs to 7500rpm....would still catch my eye....yes sir ee.

So...whatever name Yamaha would use has to already be trademarked and available globally.

For the "Venture" name see https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0647952&lang=eng&tab=reg

- https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1678358&lang=eng&tab=reg

- and https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1678358&lang=eng&tab=reg for the Venture Royal emblem design.

You can do the same thing for any of the motor vehicle names - Vmax - https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0798995&lang=eng&tab=reg

Journey ? NOTHING found.

If you want to try the same thing... go to https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/home?lang=eng

For criteria, click on the drop down for search field choose "Trademark" and for search criteria put in whatever name you think Yamaha is going to use. Click the button for "Add another search criteria" and for search field choose "Current owner name" and for search criteria put in "Yamaha"

I did a search with just "Current owner name" being Yamaha and it came back with 655 documents. I didn't skim thru them all.

They aren't calling it "Journey". Venture...it is.

Well what ever it is I will be out of the market. :crying: Just found out that my wife's car is knocking and will have to be replaced. So we spent most of the afternoon looking at a few we are interested in.

Short Block?? Do they still make them??

Yeah they still make them but it is an 01 four cylinder dodge. It has too many small things wrong to put that kind of money into it.

I think your wife deserves a new bike for the summer ! Let her drive your car/truck and get her a "winter beater" in the fall.

I think your wife deserves a new bike for the summer ! Let her drive your car/truck and get her a "winter beater" in the fall.

:Laugh::Laugh: That is what we are getting rid of. We will pick up a 2012 Buick tomorrow. :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

Just a couple thoughts on names. It seems now a days marketing companies, TV shows and a bunch more lack any imagination. Look over Fords way. They had a Galaxie 500 back in the olden days. Then when they started to phase out the Crown Vic (Oh yea another name that was brought back) Taurus was the "new" car. they tried changing it up and called it? The 500 imaginative huh. Dodge same thing resurrected the Dart name on some econo box because they didnt think Fart would sell to good.

So my thoughts are they will stay with a name that will be recognizable and maybe add to it. Venture Journey or Journey Venture

Besides something like Pathfinder would have to be an Indian rite?