IGNORED

Yamaha Part three

slowrollwv

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128615

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Oops I have kenda Cruz and they handle pretty good on this rain and so far I have right at 1000 on them and still like new.. And earlier it was raining I couldn't tell other then rain drops hitting me in eyes thinking about putting pledge on my Tahoe windshield lol...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna stick my neck out - me thinks the new bike will be the Yamaha Journey, with most all those bells and whistles the folks in the video asked for. And I'd bet it won't have a cassette player.

It wont be a Yamaha if it don't have a cassette deck.:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Spent yesterday spooning on a new rear tire - picked up a Kenda Challenger - right size 140/90 "C" rated, 77h for load rating, not a bad looking tire for $45 bucks.. I LOVE testing cheap tires. Worst I ever got was 3500 miles from a 404 Dunny - this new Kenda is WAY beafier than the Dunny - cant wait to see how she wears - hoping to try er out on a rip across Canada to catch that unveiling - will definitely take LOTS of pics to share if we are able to make it = want to go REALLY REALLY bad..

/QUOTE]

Cowpuc, I was curious about the Kenda Challenger tire and I looked it up on ebay. Almost all the ones I found that size were load rated 57 with a warning that it was not intended for heavy touring bikes. I did find one that was rated 77H but there was the same warning on the ad for that one too. Something to check up on. Maybe the warning was leftover from another ad for that one. Don't know but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I just went to the Kenda tire web site and it states the Challenger tire is not meant for high loads. The Kenda Kruz is the big heavy bike tire.

Edited by BlueSky

Cowpuc, I was curious about the Kenda Challenger tire and I looked it up on ebay. Almost all the ones I found that size were load rated 57 with a warning that it was not intended for heavy touring bikes. I did find one that was rated 77H but there was the same warning on the ad for that one too. Something to check up on. Maybe the warning was leftover from another ad for that one. Don't know but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I just went to the Kenda tire web site and it states the Challenger tire is not meant for high loads. The Kenda Kruz is the big heavy bike tire.

Thanks Sky for having your buddies back = THAT is greatly appreciated brother!!! Took a couple quick snaps of the spec stamp on the Challenger = posted below. Of course, when I was picking thru the tire rack at our local tire pub that stamp was what I went by.. Never even really gave it much thought beyond that. Maybe time for a tire debate, see if anyone else has had any experience with the "Kenda Challenger".. Think I will see if I can find a number for Kenda Tire and see if I can actually speak to a techy about it.. It is a very sturdy looking piece, real deep tread (way deeper than any Dunlop or Michelin I have had) BUT - I do know looks can easily be deceiving AND heavy tread does not mean it expels heat well or wont wear fast..

Wonder if MiCarl would have any thoughts on this subject..

DEFINITELY always worth mentioning this stuff BlueSky! I would do it for you too IN A HEART BEAT!!

Thanks!

Puc

DSCN4258.JPG

DSCN4251.JPG

Edited by cowpuc
DAHHH,, forgot to post the tire pics = GEEZERDOM!!

Hey @cowpuc (sorry to thread hijack)......but, where did you locate the Kenda for only $45 bucks? I'm cheap and in the market for new rubber for AZZI, so it is a match made in heaven! Let me know.

My kenda kruz was 96 and 80 for front.... I paid just around 276 installed but I needed them to get a couple of bolts out of rotor...

@cowpuc, I will weigh in:

When I first saw your original post my first reaction was that the Challenger had a lower load rating. Although I thought it was a 71, which is what Yamaha calls for. I run the Kruz which is a 77 and I went that route because I knew I over load the motorcycle.

I cannot find load ratings for the Challenger, even on the Kenda site. I did see their warning about heavy motorcycles. But then your sidewall stamp says otherwise.

I'm wondering if they changed the specs on the Challenger. I'm goofing off today but I'll try to remember when I'm in the shop Monday to check the book.

That Kenda surely does look like a beefy tire. Report back on how it performs and wears.

Here what got so far Skyster,,,, tire balanced up ok.. Running spec for max load PSI at two up - does good up to 80.. Running 1 up at triple digits and above, actually starts at 85,, it does develop a slight high speed bounce.. Gets worse as ya close in on 120.. Smooths right back out at under 85.. I got a theory that the tire mass on the carcuss may be a bit much.. Also relooking at tire spec stamp shows this tire as a "4 nylon ply" = most of the other Load Range 77h's I have worn out showed added belts on the side walls.. I am wondering if the nylon 4 ply might be ok for load range but not so nice when it gets hot from high speed action/two up riding which adds to out of balance feel at high speeds.. My R1 tires are carbon fiber reinforced and VERY light weight. 160 plus and still as smooth as glass.. Understand of course that the R1 is under 400 pounds dry weight BUT - high speeds still probably take some special thoughts in tire design. Got a call out to Kenda, thinking if I dont hear something real soon about it Tip, Tweeks and I will just run this thing out to New York for the unveiling and see what happens.. If anyone see's us sitting on the side of the road between here/Niagra Falls/Lake George and ya happen to be carrying a 140/16 bike tire in your trunk - your invited to stop = I will carry xtra cash to buy your tire and give you a coupon for 20 free hot dogs at our next MGnEM..

It wont be a Yamaha if it don't have a cassette deck.:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

No ABSOLUTE truer words have EVER been spoken Roller - if we do make this unveiling and they pull the sheet back to reveal the new Venture we are all hoping for = I will actually be disappointed if it doesnt have a cassette deck - or at least one listed on its "options" sheet :big-grin-emoticon:

PS Roller - as always = sorry about the :hijacked: nonsense again brother!! THANK YOU for loving me/us in spite of myself/ourselves..

Hey cowpuc (sorry to thread hijack)......but, where did you locate the Kenda for only $45 bucks? I'm cheap and in the market for new rubber for AZZI, so it is a match made in heaven! Let me know.

We got a small bike tire shop here locally.. Owner of the place and I go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back to the times that he worked for the local Honda Shop swapping tires.. He has a bargin bin for tires that dont sell.. I always keep an eye out on that bin cause I am even wayyy cheaper than you Riv.. I do that before I order off Ebay... Thats where I found this one.. It's build date was 2015 so no problem there IMHO - worth a shot for $45 bucks.. Verdicts still not out though - might wanna keep an eye out here before ya go ordering one.. Riv - I have bought a TON of tires off Ebay too - usually find some good deals there. Whenever I go west out across the desert region like you run AZZI in, I find a cheapy for Tweeks on Ebay and have it shipped to my daughters house in California.. Fact is, I have ran everything from high end stuff to dirt cheap and regardless - the high tarmac heat of the desert EATS the rubber off the tires to the point that its ready for a swap out when we get to the kids. One trip I did this routine with a 404 and never made it to California. We did a fair amount of playing and by the time we got into Moab Utah, @ just under 3500 miles, that tire was ready for a swap.. Guy in Moab wanted close to 200 bucks for that same tire that I had paid 75 bucks for just before we left.. Passed and headed for Richland (think that was the name of the place - something like that = next closest dealer) - the 404 was also the ONLY tire the Yam Shop had BUT wayy cheaper = 130 bucks (UNREAL).. Time we got to the Kids house I ended up changing it again..

I of these days I am gonna spring the 225 for a high end dual compound and see how they handle the load in the desert heat.. I am getting way to old for all this spooning tires on and off :sign20:

cowpuc, I will weigh in:

When I first saw your original post my first reaction was that the Challenger had a lower load rating. Although I thought it was a 71, which is what Yamaha calls for. I run the Kruz which is a 77 and I went that route because I knew I over load the motorcycle.

I cannot find load ratings for the Challenger, even on the Kenda site. I did see their warning about heavy motorcycles. But then your sidewall stamp says otherwise.

I'm wondering if they changed the specs on the Challenger. I'm goofing off today but I'll try to remember when I'm in the shop Monday to check the book.

THANKS CARL = I really appreciate your input and I am certain other do too!! YOU DA MAN!!!

Thanks Sky for having your buddies back = THAT is greatly appreciated brother!!! Took a couple quick snaps of the spec stamp on the Challenger = posted below. Of course, when I was picking thru the tire rack at our local tire pub that stamp was what I went by.. Never even really gave it much thought beyond that. Maybe time for a tire debate, see if anyone else has had any experience with the "Kenda Challenger".. Think I will see if I can find a number for Kenda Tire and see if I can actually speak to a techy about it.. It is a very sturdy looking piece, real deep tread (way deeper than any Dunlop or Michelin I have had) BUT - I do know looks can easily be deceiving AND heavy tread does not mean it expels heat well or wont wear fast..

Wonder if MiCarl would have any thoughts on this subject..

DEFINITELY always worth mentioning this stuff BlueSky! I would do it for you too IN A HEART BEAT!!

Thanks!

Puc

Looks like you are okay with that tire according to the sidewall. Just made me wonder after looking up the Challenger. Surely wouldn't want anything bad happen to our National Treasures, Puc, Tippy, and Tweeksis!

Looks like you are okay with that tire according to the sidewall. Just made me wonder after looking up the Challenger. Surely wouldn't want anything bad happen to our National Treasures, Puc, Tippy, and Tweeksis!

Wait I thought that tweeksis was the presidential limo and tips was the first lady but I guess I could live with them being national treasures.[emoji23]

Hey cowpuc (sorry to thread hijack)......but, where did you locate the Kenda for only $45 bucks? I'm cheap and in the market for new rubber for AZZI, so it is a match made in heaven! Let me know.

For your summer trip South, I highly recommend Shinko 777HDs. Front and rear. cowpuc is right, the desert heat really tears up the tires.

You will be happy! And safe. My 89 loves her Shinko 230 Tourmasters. The 777's are their big brother. Heavier duty. Boy, do they stick like glue!

I put the 777 on the rear of the VStar...... Really happy with it.

They are going on the RSV as soon as I can.

.... if we do make this unveiling ....

I seem to remember you posting that you would be cutting across Ontario....If you are still doing that....what is your route and rough estimate of timing thru the Woodstock/Kitchener/Brantford area? Several members in this area and maybe we could hold you up for a few minutes for a coffee.

Yea.. With a mk1 looking front end. That would be interesting.. For sure!

Mk1 and 2 had same front kind of the headlight was different... So gen 1 setup bit the rounded looking saddlebags reminded me of mk2