IGNORED

My Father took a bad fall

My father was active and in good health.

Yesterday my father (age 78) took a headfirst dive down the basement stairs.

My mother heard the fall and he was bleeding and unconscious when she got to him.

She called the paramedics (3 ambulances and 8 paramedics showed up) and they were able to revive him and transport him to the local hospital.

The local hospital did what they could to stabilize him and then had him transported to a big hospital with neurosurgeons on staff due to bleeding in the brain.

What is known so far.

many deep lacerations on his head and body.

Fractured scull

fractured eye socket

fractured vertebra in the neck

fractured clavicle

3 broken ribs in the back.

He is spitting up blood so more testing is coming to determine its cause, as well as a full body scan to see if any other things are broken / damaged. They have not yet looked at much of anything below the chest yet.

The doctors have said that none of his injuries appear to be life threatening but they are still very concerned about possible brain damage.

When I got to the hospital the doc was asking him questions, he did not know what year it was or who the president is. He did not recognize my mother, my sister or me. He has no recollection of what happened. Most of his right side is not working but the doc said there was no stroke or heart attack that caused the fall.

He will be spending some significant time in the neuro ICU.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Never good seeing these posts on the site, fortunately it sounds like your Dad was in good shape before the fall. This I'm sure is a major reason he's still with you folks. Give it time, I look at Ponch's progress and am amazed at how he has recovered. All the best to your father and your family.