IGNORED

My Father took a bad fall

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Well I thought I would toss in another update.

This has been a good week.

Sunday My dad went to church for the first time since his fall last December. Because both of my parents were VERY involved with the church almost everyone knew then and of the problems. The priest even came down to welcome dad in the middle of the mass. My mother said it took an hour and a half to get out of the church with all of the well wishers that stopped to talk. She cried a lot over the out pouring of support. But at least these were were not sad tears.

Then yesterday my dads golf buddies came to pick him up for the "weekly" golf outing, Dad can not swing a club so they let him think he hit a drive and then dropped a ball near the green to let him chip and putt. Dad had a blast. And it gave my mother a couple of hours rest from taking care of him.

His brain will never heal back to where it was before the accident but at least he is starting to get to do some of the things he always loved to do. He won't remember tomorrow that he did it, but at least he had fun doing it.

• 1 year later...

Well a lot of time has passed, but there is still good things happening.

Dad now has a hearing aid so we have to be careful talking about him when he is in the room.:whistling:

Over all he is getting around well without any walking aids.

He is back to cooking meals, something he always enjoyed doing. But Mom says he seems to have completely forgotten how to clean up after cooking a meal.:whistling:

He is back to being able to carry on a conversation about current or past issues.

He just passed a very rigorous driving test by the state and now has his drivers license back.:thumbsup:

This test was first the same written test that a new driver would take.

The second part was a verbal test that had questions to judge his decision making abilities. and knowledge of driving.

Part 3 was a driving test in a simulator where they can judge his derision making and reflexes at the same time.

Part 4 was a behind the wheel road test in one of their cars that has full dual controls (for safety).

While did not not do perfect in every part of the test he did meet all of the minimum requirements.

Having watched the test procedure, I would bet that a pretty high percentage of people over 60, that are driving now, would not pass.

I am sure that all of the prayers and well wishes helped.

The doctors had written him off and said he would never get back to leading anything resembling a normal life.

Penny and will continue to pray for him, your mom and your family.

He sounds like he's come a long way in two years.

Perhaps a small rancher on one level would be better for your folks. (no stairs)

Don't know for a fact but it sure seems that falling seems to be a lot more frequent when you pass your 70's.

My moms 76 and her sister is 77 so I need to make a decision also...