IGNORED

My Father took a bad fall

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

So sorry to hear this, But, DO not give up hope. Several years before my mom passed, she was admitted to the hospital, they told us she had sepsis , was brain dead and in a coma and didn't expect her to make it through the night. When we got back to the hospital the next morning she was awake and lucid!, the doctors were dumbfounded ! She recovered from this and had many good years before passing .

Keep on the doctors and staff to do all they can, your involvement can make all the difference.

We hope your dad snaps back from this.

Best Wishes

Jay & Jeannie

Well it has been a week now since he was kicked out of the hospital and put into the nursing home.

Now that he is out of the hospital environment he is getting noticeably better every day.

His speech is getting to be a lot more coherent.

He is now making complete sentences (without changing the subject in mid sentence) and even stringing sentences together.

He has been upgraded from pureed food to minced food. He had a Sloppy Joe burger yesterday and seemed to really enjoy eating something that resembled real food.

He is now able to spend most of the day sitting upright in a wheel chair and has learned how to motor the chair around with his feet. Between the feeding tube and him eating better his color is nearly back to normal.

Then with all of the good news, I just found out that last night he fell out of bed and hit his head on the night stand and floor and now has a big bruise on the top of his head about 2 inches from where the skull fracture was. If there was anything that he did not need right now it is more head trama. We are hoping that the fall did not cause any new damage, Doc says we wont know for a couple of days.:fingers-crossed-emo

He did remember falling out of bed and was able to talk about it today, I think this is the first short term or current memory that he has been able to retain since the fall.:thumbsup: Up till now his short term memory was down to literally about 1 minute.

He is a very long way from being out of the woods. The medication for the brain swelling is not compatible with his heart and anti clotting meds so he can not take either which dramatically raises risk of heart and blood clot issues. He has been getting clots in his arms and legs, we still have to hope that no clots go anywhere important.:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks for all of you prayers and well wishes, I am sure that they are helping.

Prayers continue Jeff. I have had clots since my accident in 06. I do have a filter to catch them from my legs. I hate the blood thinner route but it works. Giving yourself shots is no fun and I think the Warden enjoyed it Too much!!! It sounds like your Dad is getting better. Hope he didn't do anything to increase head injury.Keeping fingers crossed and praying.

Jeff,

That is great news that he is doing better, but sorry that he took the fall again.

Hopefully they'll keep some sides on the bed for a while.

I think getting out of the hospital environment is a very good thing, and he'll improve every day.

My best wishes for your dad,

Steve

Unfortunately there are laws that prevent the nursing home from putting sides on a bed. They are not allowed to use any type of restraint and bed rails are considered a restraint. They said the best they can legally do is to put the side of the bed against the wall and then put a single chair against the other side, and a mattress on the floor to help soften the landing.

• 5 weeks later...

Well the prayers and well wishes are helping.

The nursing home has said that the insurance wants to send dad home on the 16th.

The home also said that if they did not think he is ready they can override the insurance and keep him there till he is ready.

But on the other side of the coin.

In the last 2 weeks he has made great progress. He is able to walk forward backwards and sideways even with obstacles and not holding on to anything for balance. they have him going up and down steps.

He is just starting with real food this week, He had a whole pork chop, a definite upgrade from the minced diet he was on.

There will be 2 therapists that will bring dad home for a visit tomorrow to see how he interacts with his house and to let us know what changes and modifications we have to do to the house for his return.

We are hoping that this all works out.:fingers-crossed-emo

Pork Chops?? Ask him if we can sneak in Jeff!:think:

Prayers are still going. That is great news. Hope he recovers completely.

I was explicitly order to not help him eat, they are counting his calorie intake to see if they can stop the feeding tube. There was not much of that pork chop left to share.:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Today the feeding tube came out. I was a little surprised at how much of a non issue that was. Just in the office, the doc says there will be a little pinch, he grabbed the tube and yanked it out, and put on a band aid. That was it.:confused24:

He is still scheduled to come home tomorrow.

This will be the real test to see if my mother can make him behave. Even in his weakened state he is still a lot bigger and stronger than mom. And he does not follow instructions well.

It will be an interesting day tomorrow.:fingers-crossed-emo