IGNORED

Rookie Mistake

Rick Haywood

Well, While Mike (eusa1) and I were riding back from B2Mom and Dads in the rain and I made a rookie mistake and am paying for it today. I was riding in the middle of my lane and went to slow down and just touched my front brake (stupid stupid) well the next thing I know I am on the pavement sliding and so is the bike. I slammed to the pavement very hard and hit my head very hard ( had on Helmet) and slammed my body hard also. Before me and the bike stopped sliding the bike spun and my head ended up under the front of the bike. Well I remember the bike going down and then the next theing I remember is Mike asking....Hey Buddy Are you hurt, can you hear me, hey are you hurt? Then I hear him tell a guy that was offering to help lift the bike up. DO NOT GRAB ANYWHERE EXCEPT THIS BLACK HANDLE. Well about that time I became undazed and told Mike I thought I was OK. I remember thinking when I hit my head WOW I am glad I have my helmet on. I also remember thinking OH NO my bike. Well I got lucky and It didn't hurt the bike to bad Rode it on home from Murray, KY. Went to the hospital when I got home and ended up with craked ribs, Chest contussion (sp) and a scaped and bruised elbow. I am very sore and it hurts to move but I will be OK. So the moral is...........No matter how much you ride or how much experience you have do not forget what you know and get to comfortable. Always remember the little things. It could have been worse for me and all because I forgot for just a second about the little things I learned. But as you all probably guessed it only took me about a 1/2 a second after I touched the brake to remember that I shouldn't have done that.:doh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are OK!

You know....as we get older we don't bounce as well as we used to.:stickpoke:

Been there....done that....luckily it was on wet grass at low speed.:bang head:

Yet another reminder of the importance of wearing the gear.

without the helmet we could easily have had yet another sad story!

Glad to hear that you are for the most part OK and should heal well.

Bikes are easier to fix than bones.

So did you even use the front brake at all for the rest of the trip?:stickpoke:

With that little bit of rain we had yesterday, being the first rain in almost a month, all of the oil that had accumulated on the roads became very slick especially the center of the lanes. There were crashes everywhere with cages losing it. Yesterday something made me take the truck to work for the first time in over a month. durring my commute I had to make hard evasive manuvers 6 times in 40 miles to avoid stupid cages. Glad I was not on the bike. I would have hated to have to make a panic stop or hard swerve on those slick roads.

Just seeing how people reacted to rain, I cant wait till the :snow2: flies.

Glad to hear that you are for the most part OK and should heal well.

Bikes are easier to fix than bones.

So did you even use the front brake at all for the rest of the trip?:stickpoke:

With that little bit of rain we had yesterday, being the first rain in almost a month, all of the oil that had accumulated on the roads became very slick especially the center of the lanes. There were crashes everywhere with cages losing it. Yesterday something made me take the truck to work for the first time in over a month. durring my commute I had to make hard evasive manuvers 6 times in 40 miles to avoid stupid cages. Glad I was not on the bike. I would have hated to have to make a panic stop or hard swerve on those slick roads.

Just seeing how people reacted to rain, I cant wait till the :snow2: flies.

No Was afraid to touch it.

Glad you are Ok Rick, well at least ok enough to talk about it. The irony of it is we all do the stupid little things, although we know better. There is an an old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" . I have a bad habit of using the front brake only, when my feet are up on the highway pegs and I get too lazy to move them, and on many such occasions I have thought to myself "mmm that was not smart". I am also sure I am not the only one considering the consistancy of human nature.

Rick this ain't good to wake up to. Glad you aren't hurt any worse(right now you are thinking nothing could be worse than those ribs) than you are. Hope bike is not bad but it can be fixed. I am a big front brake user. Keep telling myself I should break that habit and use rear more. Before I break Something!!! Heal fast Bro.

Rick, like others have said I'm glad to hear you telling us this story rather then thru someone else. Thou your injuries are semi serious be very thankfull they weren't worse and that you had your gear on. More importantly a helmet.

Even being on a trike now, I have found that while extremely stable on wet roads, the front tire can and will slip & slide if braking too much on blacktop early in the rains. The middle of the lane doesn't get the oils flushed off quite as fast as the tire sections do from cages driving thru them. So one must always be cautious & as you have come to realize it only takes a second or so to get into trouble.

Heal well,

Larry

I'm happy the damages to you and the scoot weren't worse. I did the same thing years ago on the shadow, same situation, same result. I am now very cautious with my front brake when the roads are wet. I tend to ride like a grandma when it's wet now.

" I have a bad habit of using the front brake only, when my feet are up on the highway pegs and I get too lazy to move them"

I am guilty of this also, but, under normal driving conditions it's not much of a problem.

I had my rookie mistake also yesterday and it was also related to the front brake. Linda and I took about a 60 mile ride and one of the roads we will occasionally ride is the original roadbed of the Tweetsie Railroad here in east Tennessee. We had been down most of it before and it is a really neat slow ride with most of it being a narrow one lane paved road with some narrow cuts through rocks.

Where I got in trouble was there was a section we had never tried before because I did not think it was open. Well after a mile or so, it did come to a house and at that point the road went to gravel. As I was coming up to that point, just barely moving, I was picking a good place to make a u-turn. Just as I was just about stopped, using the front brake as I had my feet down, I came upon some very fine gravel. Yep, before I realized it, my front tire slid and instead of letting off the brake, I guess I squeezed it harder. There was a slight slope to the right so before I could save it, we were over to the left. Fortunately, neither one of us got any injuries, but my left fairing took a beating.

I was real glad we did not get hurt, but I was real mad at myself for that moment of inattention that got my fairing busted. :doh:

RandyA

So glad you're okay, Rick, but I have to ask...

WHY was that a rookie mistake?? Were the roads freshly wet so it was oil slicked??? Did you come down HARD on your front brake? :confused24:

I'm not understanding why you're calling this a rookie mistake and what you did exactly that made you fall??????

I just pm'd you about the trailer and then saw this. I am sorry for you spill and feel somewhat guilty. Heal quickly and with little pain. I slid through and intersection doing the front brake boogy forty five years ago and I am very cautious of the front brake in the center of the lane.

:farmer: