IGNORED

My 87'VR was Rear ended At WalMart...Of All Places!

skydoc_17

I have been working the 12 "death march" shift at my new job, and after getting off of work Wednesday afternoon, I stopped at the "New" Wal Mart in the area to pick up a gallon of milk. I cruised into the parking lot, in no big hurry, and pulled thru the first parking space into the second diagonal space so I could pull straight out after my shopping was done. Stopped the bike, put down the kick stand, pulled the key from the ignition, and was just about to get off of the bike when a Lifted Ford F250 slammed right into the rear of my 87'VR!

The impact shot my bike about 30 feet from the parking spot, the bike was in neutral, and I was able to get my hands on the handle bars and keep her upright. The Ventureline Backrest basically "saved my bacon", it kept me from being flipped off of the seat, and kept the sheared off trunk from hitting me in the back. I was not able to ride the bike home, and it was roll backed to the local Yamaha Dealer. The young man driving the truck was shocked beyond comprehension, he kept apologizing over and over again. He said he just didn't see my 7 foot long, 51/2 high full bagger motorcycle setting in a parking space! It was so hot, 101F, and I was so tired, I couldn't hardly be mad, BUT I was bumbed. The bike will come home Tuesday, the dealer and Ins. Company want to total the bike. I will not let that happen. The Ins. Adjuster has agreed to let me take a run at restoring the bike. Needless to say, If anyone has a trunk or rear baggage lids for the Elegant/Birch Brown 1987 Venture Royale, I would love to speak with you. I will post some pics when the bike is delivered.:crying:

Earl

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been working the 12 "death march" shift at my new job, and after getting off of work Wednesday afternoon, I stopped at the "New" Wal Mart in the area to pick up a gallon of milk. I cruised into the parking lot, in no big hurry, and pulled thru the first parking space into the second diagonal space so I could pull straight out after my shopping was done. Stopped the bike, put down the kick stand, pulled the key from the ignition, and was just about to get off of the bike when a Lifted Ford F250 slammed right into the rear of my 87'VR!

The impact shot my bike about 30 feet from the parking spot, the bike was in neutral, and I was able to get my hands on the handle bars and keep her upright. The Ventureline Backrest basically "saved my bacon", it kept me from being flipped off of the seat, and kept the sheared off trunk from hitting me in the back. I was not able to ride the bike home, and it was roll backed to the local Yamaha Dealer. The young man driving the truck was shocked beyond comprehension, he kept apologizing over and over again. He said he just didn't see my 7 foot long, 51/2 high full bagger motorcycle setting in a parking space! It was so hot, 101F, and I was so tired, I couldn't hardly be mad, BUT I was bumbed. The bike will come home Tuesday, the dealer and Ins. Company want to total the bike. I will not let that happen. The Ins. Adjuster has agreed to let me take a run at restoring the bike. Needless to say, If anyone has a trunk or rear baggage lids for the Elegant/Birch Brown 1987 Venture Royale, I would love to speak with you. I will post some pics when the bike is delivered.:crying:

Earl

Don't know if it would help to mention that is a CLASSIC ANTIQUE and all you want is for it to be put back in the condition it was in before their client ran into you.

Also, for real, if he hit you that hard it may take a bit for whiplash to show up!

Don't be too quick to tell anybody "I'm not hurt". (I'm not a lawyer, but have been told that by a lawyer.)

Earl, Sorry to hear about that, Glad you're OK, I took to parking up in the hiding place by the propane tanks. So far no one has cussed me out. I'm afraid I would have got my side cutters and clipped all his valve stems just to spite him, then said OK now that your truck is shorter, can you see me now, Moron....Sorry I'm vindictive. I saw a set of Ventureline lights on Fleabay yesterday, if you're able to find another trunk. see the post in links to classifieds if it's still available,

Don't know if it would help to mention that is a CLASSIC ANTIQUE and all you want is for it to be put back in the condition it was in before their client ran into you.

Also, for real, if he hit you that hard it may take a bit for whiplash to show up!

Don't be too quick to tell anybody "I'm not hurt". (I'm not a lawyer, but have been told that by a lawyer.)

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Damn Earl, that sucks! Glad you are ok, or you will know more when you wake up next time. Getting slammed like that is not good for the body.

I have to go to several Walmarts and other stores as part of my part time job 6 days out of the week. It is one on my least favored places to be. People are nuts and their only concern is finding the closest place to park, and they don't care which way they drive, how fast they drive to get there and who is in their way while doing it.

I've got to the point where I won't even park in a car space any more. Most the time I park my bike in the end zones right in front of the Police remote station at the worst store. They don't seem to have a problem with it and the cameras are on the area.

But again, really glad you are ok and walking around. Good luck on getting the bike back together.

Mike

I'm glad you are okay too. I agree that the insurance should pay you a fair price to repair the bike. Start checking ebay and print off ads for the highest prices you can find. Even from here print off pm's from anyone offering to sell you parts. That gives you a starting point to negotiate with them. Don't forget the cost of labor to install the parts.

Injuries from being hit from behind can show up later too. A backache or neck pain a month from now could change your enjoyment of life. Don't be too quick to dismiss or settle too low for personal injury.

Sorry to hear it Earl! I work at a WalMart and I know how thoughtless people can be when they are going in there to get their bargains! I never park in a car space. I always either park at the head of the lot in the striped areas or up near the building! Make 'em pay for your emotional distress for the loss of a loved one! Glad you are feeling okay, (SO FAR!)

:mytruck1: Bummer!

Man, I don't know WHAT to say Earl!! Just plain glad you are OK!

Yah, do not take the first insurance offer. Insist they either repair yours to what it was before the accident or replace it with one in the same condition as yours was before the accident, and ask for salvage rights to the old one...

Damn Earl That hurts!!! Make the Insurance pay. Don't let up on them. You are going to be sore tomorrow. Make them pay for that too!! Another BLIND IDIOT!!

Hey, since you don't ride anymore, maybe he could use some of the brown sugar parts?

Just kidding :whistling:

Edited by Sleeperhawk

Hi Earl,

Glad to hear you are allright, my condolences on the loss of your loved one... I know how it is when you love your bike. I lent a good friend my 83 vr on fathers day to ride to church with us, and 1/4 mike from church, he took a left turn too wide and fast, and pretty much totalled the bike. Thank God he wasn't seriously hurt as he flew over an Armco guardrail and landed near a culvert. He did have an inch deep gash in his leg, which is still giving him problems as he is diabetic, but hopefully will heal. I did find out he didn't have an endorsement from the county sherriff, so when he is able, I am going to rake the msf course with him to get him legal, hehe. Again, praise the Lord that you are safe. Bikes are replaceable, you are not. God bless, Charlie

Glad to hear you are okay. Sorry to hear about your bike. No doubt you'll be sore for a few days. But, heal quick and good luck with rebuilding your machine.

I trust you will be talking to a lawyer soon??? Walmart parking lots are worse than a war zone. My family got nailed while getting out of the car by some bozo, too. In their case, the driver that hit them went up and over two concrete curbs and smashed into the car. Damned near took off my wife's leg when he hit the open door.

Walmart should put concrete highway dividers between their parking spaces!!!!

:backinmyday:

Hey, since you don't ride anymore, maybe he could use some of the brown sugar parts?

Just kidding :whistling:

But But But I been sick..... Yeah I know. I'm the guy that said with work out of the way I was going to ride so much more this year!!! I feel guilty about that statement. With everything that has gone on it just hasn't happened. But wait til next year....... I'm going to visit Bobbie!!

How are you this morning Earl??

Glad your ok Earl and didnt aggravate your back condition. Im sure you will be able to restore that reli, er, classic sometime soon.