IGNORED

Dunlop D404 - NEVER AGAIN!!!!

RedRider

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb,

Yeah, I did. However, it was pretty late and I needed to get home for work on Wed.

Don't worry, I have not forgotten you and Gary. My wife has talked about taking a long weekend to go somewhere and riding the Mississippi and coming over to visit you guys was my thought. I will give you plenty of warning since she usually needs lots of leadtime to clear the schedule.

Hope to see you soon.

RR / Jeff

...................................While I run ME880 on my RSTD, I have D404 on my 1982 Goldwing, and at 13,000 miles they look and ride like new. My last set I changed at about 1`5,000 Miles with a nail. So........................................ different strokes

My travel was 90% slab at 75 to 80 MPH. The other 10% are nice twisty roads at 30 to 50 MPH. Nothing extreme. Riding was 1up with full bags.

RR

Same here. Interstate riding most of the time. But then I also hit the bi-ways and such like our trip to Mackinaw City across the UP last year. I also run the Wisconsin alphabet soup roads on occasion.

What is the exact model number we running? I'll have to go look, but I know there is a HB in the number on mine.

Here is the Dunlop warranty page.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_warranties.asp

Maybe we can get a representative from Dunlop to comment.

I know there are folks here that run and love the Dunlops, I'm not one of them. I can't stand the Dunlops, atleast the 404's, I have a set on my '08 and can't wait to change them out. Now I have about 10k on the set that is on there now, but they are cupped even though I take meticulous care of them and keep them at max pressure. I hate how they handle, expecially on wet roads. I have heard many times that members but replacements to the 404's that came on their bikes only to get crap for mileage the 2nd set. Perhaps there are different rubber compounds in the same tire that we as consumers aren't privy to, but I'll never go out and buy a set of Dunlops for any of my bikes.

On my 85 Sabre I always had Dunlop Elites and I was very satisfied with them now with my 84 VR I use Me880's I put new ones on in Aug 08 in Mass and rode to Fla via Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway and almost everyday to and from work.I currently have almost 6000 miles on them and still have about 75% left I am extremly happy with them.I may try the Elite II next time to compare.

I believe I read that the E-3's are 5 ply for the rear. That may explain the stiffness that the OP mentioned he felt. I have a set on my 06 and I really like the tires and am hoping that I get some decent mileage from them. Previously I ran Pirelli MT Route 66 tires and for a 2 ply tire they did ok at 12k for the rear when removed.

don't confuse the dunlop 404 with the dunlop 491 elite II. The 404 is a cheaper tire than the 491 Elite II. my 491's gave great millage and really good grip in steep bank turns at high speeds and even riding in heavy winds I found them to be very stable and a lot less snakey than the avons

The same tire manufacturer but sounds like the Elite 3 series has the least problems. I've had D404s on a bike and it was on a lighter Vulcan cruiser and was able to get 15K miles on the rear. Right now, I am sold with the Elite 3s when the time comes to change out the rear. Knowing that the GW also use Elite 3s...that can be a good assurance that the tire will hold up if you carry a lot of weight.

My 06 RSTD came with Bridgestones. Two years ago, while in Daytona, I had to replace the rear with about 5M miles -nail. My only choice was a D404. Now, ~8M miles later the 404 is badly worn. The ride and handling was good, even in the worst rain and wind imaginable.

I've just ordered an original replacement Bridgestone G702G that I'll be mounting this weekend. The front Bridgestone looks to have life for yet another 12-15M miles.

Again in Daytona this year, the folks at Dunlop recommended their Elite III for my bike.

I got 10500 miles out of the rear D404 that came on my 08 Venture. Liked the feel and ride so I replaced it with a new D404. Same pressure, riding style, etc., got less than 6000 miles on the replacement. Avon Venons ordered. Dunlop changed something and that tire should not be used!

• 3 years later...

I was searching tire pressure and I ran across this post and I am glad I did. We are taking off Sunday for a trip to the mountains and after reading this post I decided to reinspect my 404s a little closer and low and behold I find a couple of bubbles, a nail and a cut on the tire p;us I think they were close to needing changing anyway. Going to the shop tomorrow for a new Elite III.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

wow. this makes me think that it's gotta be about riding style. there are so many divergent opinions. but let me just add this. I check my tire pressure obsessively. its the number one cause of failure. do it.. it only takes a few minutes.

ride safe yall

:sign yeah that: i think so too...am on my 2nd pair of d404s.....:banana:

• 2 years later...
I have a set of 404's on my 02 rsv. ....My 83 venture had 274,000 on it when it died and all I ever did was routine maint.:2133:

So Paul, assuming YOU put the majority of the miles on your 83, you must have put on about TEN sets of tires.

That would make YOU the "de facto" RSV tie expert on this forum, wouldn't it?

Please tell me you didn't put on ten sets of Dunlop 404's and that you have at least one other brand/model to compare to!

Thanks for any "competitive" comparisons.

Michael

So Paul, assuming YOU put the majority of the miles on your 83, you must have put on about TEN sets of tires.

That would make YOU the "de facto" RSV tie expert on this forum, wouldn't it?

Please tell me you didn't put on ten sets of Dunlop 404's and that you have at least one other brand/model to compare to!

Thanks for any "competitive" comparisons.

Michael

Pastor Paul is no longer with us, but I can chime in about tires since I am nearing 200k on my 02 RSMV. I started with factory Bridgestones (very poor tire in rain) and went to two sets of Metzlers (separated tread on one of first set and broken belt on the one of the second set). Since then it has been all Dunlop D 404 without any issues. Granted they don't get super mileage but I have a tire changer and it takes little to change them. Based on cost of purchase and length of life, they do as well as any for my purposes.

:farmer:

I run Kenda Kruz on my 1st Gen., and it's the tire I sell the most of in my shop. Since I don't write myself service orders I've never had a mileage record but I have a friend with a RoadStar that gets about 12,000 miles from a set.

Have not put many on 2nd gen Ventures though. Most of the 2nd gen folks I know want the Venoms on them.

Have not put many on 2nd gen Ventures though. Most of the 2nd gen folks I know want the Venoms on them.

Thanks, buddy.

That's the kind of comment I've been hoping to see. (Not because I'M currently a Venom user......but because there always seems to be "new, exciting" stuff coming out of the woodwork....and I wanna make sure I don't "make a mistake" by buying "yesterday's" tire!

My followup question/comment is: I remember when my Venoms were new, their distinctive "curvy-groove" tread design, with somewhat of a "sparse" pattern.....that, to me, looked a little "slick-ish". So, how do you get a good read on the wear factor of such a tire? (I guess what I'm saying is.....my dealer, who says they're bald now and need replacement.....has a little more "vested interest" in my putting on new tires RIGHT NOW! :-)

Edited by Semi-retired

I bought my rear Dunlop K491 Elite II in July 2005 for my '86VR. It currently has about 37,000 KM or 23,500 miles on it. The tire still has about 50% tread left! It has worn perfectly smoothly. No cupping. No dry checking on the sidewalls. Road tread is still soft, not rock hard. Still handles beautifully straight line, or pushed hard in the curves.

When I had to replace the front one, I couldn't get another Elite II for the front, so it has an E3. No problems in handling with the mixed Elites.

The bike is always stored indoors out of the sun. In a warm garage during our Canadian winters. My average speeds are probably 100KM/h or 60M/h. Sometimes at 115M/h or 70M/h. The tires are always set at 40PSI. Most of my riding is 1up. Sometimes 2up with luggage for long trips.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me that I should be replacing my tire due to age, but I'm not riding enough, far enough (no cross country trips planned), and avoid hot rides (don't like riding without a riding jacket)... Now that I'm retired, I'll see how much I ride. If I do start to ride more/farther/hotter weather, then I'll probably buy a new tire.

One problem I'm finding is that motorcycle dealers are closing down. If I do have to buy a tire, I probably have to bring the wheel to a HD dealer to get it installed and balanced. My local Yamaha dealer (Mitchell's in Wyoming ON) has just closed down.

All to say that I STRONGLY recommend the Dunlop Elite series of tires. Nothing better in my opinion.

I have a set of elite 3's on my bike, don't know the milage without checking. I also have a Tiregard wireless tire pressure monitor system on my tires, got it from J&P cycles in anamosa Iowa, It lets me know what my tire pressure is while i'm riding. I have checked my tires and compared it to the monitor and its usually right on with my tire gauge when ever i check it. I believe it was $175.00 at the time i bought it, they even make one to monitor 4 tiers at a time if you pull a trailer, i believe that one is $200.00. Like the elite 3's. my :2cents: :thumbsup2:

I've had good luck with e3s. 2up, full bags, half twisty half slab. Currently have about 30,000km/18,700mi on them. There's about 3 ml center tread and

they're showing signs of slight cupping. I could squeeze a few 1000mi more, but they'll be replaced with e3s next month.

One other thing to check when buying tires is the load rating of the tires.

From the Dunlop tire web site, the weight ratings for my size of tires is 760 lbs Front, 930 lbs rear, total = 1690 lbs for E3s. For the D404s it's 639 front, 761 rear, total 1400 lbs. So the E3s have a 290 lbs increase in gross vehicle weight rating (assuming appropriate front/rear weight distribution).

Another way to look at it...

My Yamaha Owners manual says that my bike weighs 783 wet lbs, + 386 lbs max load (rider, passenger, luggage) = 1169 lbs. My guess is that was the total weight rating of the original tires back in 1986.

I'd guess that I weigh about 200 lbs dressed with riding jacket, boots, helmet etc. That would leave only 186 lbs for everything else. If I have 50 lbs of luggage in the bags and trunk, I'd have only 136 lbs for my wife. Jennie's not telling me what she weighs, but she was worried about that max load number. But with the increased capacity of the E3's I think we're OK.

So if you or your spouse are carrying a bit more weight these days, I'd be checking the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of your bike and it's tires. Don't go with cheep tires that happen to fit your bike's wheels. If you ride with a full load, or tow a trailer, get tires with increased load ratings.

I have yet to find a tire for these bikes that everyone likes. It seems tires are the biggest single source for complaints with all brands getting their fair share. I have used D404s, Exedra, Exedra Max and others with equal success. So far nothing has stood out either better or worse. E-IIIs seem to have good life, D404s seem to handle rain. I expected more from the Max but I don't know if I got it as my bike was totaled by a car. From the looks of the tread wear, I don't know.

So whatever works for you, turns you on or off, go for it. Can't be wrong----or right.

Mike