IGNORED

Dunlop D404 - NEVER AGAIN!!!!

RedRider

A couple of years ago my son bought a D-404 for the front of his Shadow ACE, it was an oddball size, like a 120-19 I think. Anyway, we put it on and it was slick like the top of my head and cracked in the tread at 4500 miles. I don't remember the particulars of the date code but it was somewhere around 4 yrs old when he bought it. I think sometimes that tires wind up sitting in inventory for a long time and start to dry rot a little, and maybe some of the "discount" places buy closeouts from other suppliers. Is there an actual "sell by" date or shelf life on tires?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a dealer tell me last year they need to sell a tire before it reaches 5 years of age based upon the date code on the tire. If not sold after that they need to destroy it. Not sure how true that is but it seemed believable.

I was travelling through the area and unexpectedly needed a rear tire. They had one tire in stock. A four year old Avon which they sold to me at a good price after I pointed out the date code. I don't remember what it cost me, but I would have paid more because I was stranded.

I googled MT90B16, based on the number that I picked out of a BratmanXj post, above.

That is an american tire SIZE and not a model number, where at 130/90-16 is the metric equivilent size. You'd still have to select the model (Dunlop E3, Dunlop 404, etc etc)

I too have had decent luck and wear with several sets of EIII's. I have found jakewilson the best price lately. I used to use swmototires.com, but their prices have gone up a lot. I have been reading a lot of good reports on the Michelin Commander II's and might try them next just to see. I'm a little leery of the reduced load rating, but all the reports have me curious.

One thing I noticed, but didn't do any real tally to see if it is a real trend or not was... seems a lot of folks getting high mileage on tires are located somewhat north, and many getting somewhat lower are further south. I wonder if heat plays a big factor in tire life? More thinking out loud than making a factual statement.

Have had good luck with 404's. My experience has been that the rear will last last to around 10,000 mi., E3's last longer, I'm thinking 14,000 ? documented in maint. records in garage will have to check.

Nice thing about 404's is they DO NOT WINE IN THE TURNS...

Nice thing about the E3's they definitely have a thicker side wall and extended range.

Although I will still use the 404's on my 650, for the difference in price will stick with the E3"s on the RSV.

I too have had decent luck and wear with several sets of EIII's. I have found jakewilson the best price lately. I used to use swmototires.com, but their prices have gone up a lot. I have been reading a lot of good reports on the Michelin Commander II's and might try them next just to see. I'm a little leery of the reduced load rating, but all the reports have me curious.

One thing I noticed, but didn't do any real tally to see if it is a real trend or not was... seems a lot of folks getting high mileage on tires are located somewhat north, and many getting somewhat lower are further south. I wonder if heat plays a big factor in tire life? More thinking out loud than making a factual statement.

I know the road surfaces in Texas Hill Country like to eat up tires. They use some pretty coarse stone on their chip seal roads down here. No complaint on the 404s other then I think they are making the fronts with less tread as I have been wearing the front out faster then the back on the last two sets.

Heat? probably...

Towing trailers, definitely... lol

Have had good luck with 404's.

Although I will still use the 404's on my 650, for the difference in price will stick with the E3"s on the RSV.

By "difference in price".....do you mean, because they're much cheaper.......or.......even though they're more money? :-)

E3 is considered a "higher-end" touring tire where as the D40x series is a heavy-weight cruiser tire. E3 usually cost more than a D40x tire, but supposedly give a better ride quality, longer life, and possibly better traction.

P.S. Individual results may vary.

By "difference in price".....do you mean, because they're much cheaper.......or.......even though they're more money? :-)

Even though they're more money.

The E3's are also more difficult to spoon off manually because of thicker side wall. Have a guy that will change out tires for me for $10... even though he is 10 miles away, I let him do it...LOL

Even though they're more money.

The E3's are also more difficult to spoon off manually because of thicker side wall. Have a guy that will change out tires for me for $10... even though he is 10 miles away, I let him do it...LOL

I BET you DO!! The lowest quote I've gotten so far is $37 each!!

• 3 weeks later...