IGNORED

State of the Site Address

Freebird

I think we are fine as we are, I could go along with opening up to other Yamaha or STAR bikes, but I do not think we need it just now.

I do not use the Goldwing section much, but do like having it.

Chapters, do not need them.

Even though I do not have my Venture anymore, I still come here first, because it is home, when it was down for the upgrade a while back, I started having separation anxiety, there just is no place like Venturerider.

Well said "Its home"......

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any issues with there being section for Wing riders, and there are a few members who have gone to Harleys, Victorys, and Can Am. There could be sections for the other bikes too even though this wouldn't be the first place those riders go to for information but would be a way for them to share their experiences with other brands. Freebird is right that there are so many established sites out there that specialize in those rides that we can't compete with them just as they can't start a Venture section.

I think a lot of members went Venture because of previous experience with Yamaha bikes, at least that was one of my reasons for choosing my '09 Venture. Expanding to include other models isn't going to help because there are other specialized sites for them as well. Having sections for other models won't hurt but don't expect additional traffic just because sections exist.

There are members that come and go even though they still have Ventures. $12 a year isn't much to pay considering the technical info available.

Members that go to other brands quite often remain members. That doesn't decrease the number of Ventures out there, they just go to other people. The question is, how do we reach those people and let them know that VR.org exist?

I found the site by doing a google search. I did trial memberships here and at venturers and stayed here because I liked the array of technical info, the friendly way people answer questions, and the people. Not everyone that owns a Venture knows that forums like this exist, or feel they need a site like this. How do we reach those people?

I know there are many Ventures in my area and when I have a chance I stop and talk to them about their bike and one of the first questions I ask them is are they a member here. If they aren't, I tell them and suggest they join for the trial period. I have venturerider.org painted on my trunk. I also give them business cards with the site address.

The way to get people to join is to let them know we exist. We need to focus on how to advertise.

I've raised this before but a way needs to be found that when a new member joins, the welcome message needs to show what city and state/province they are from. When I know the person is in my province I send them a welcome message and offer to get together. I think this is important to make new members feel welcome.

I am on the site daily, reading what members are doing, offer technical advice if I have the knowledge. I find vr.org is the best way to stay in touch. Like others, I hate facebook. It is hard to follow, no way to search for tips or keywords. Often members that post there also post here. This is my go-to resource.

Keep the forum as is. We can try to expand the word of mouth advertising. But we also need to find ways to advertise in other ways.

Freebird....do you know how well venturers are doing? Are they facing the same decreasing membership? I'm not suggesting a merger because that would change the atmosphere and vr.org would lose some of the things that make people feel as family.

well I found this site right after I bought my first gen. Dingy helped me a lot on igntec settings. That would be hard to replace that kind of help. Have had a lot of help from a lot of members. Besides they all like to get lost during the group rides. I have made so many new friends its unbelievable. We have lost a few members yes but some of use are as old as the bikes lol. I wouldn't want to loose what I have gained. Besides I like to ride in the rain. Any one else lol.:250: :256:

Ok Don you asked for it...

I would be pretty ticked off if this site pulled the plug. Many reasons are personal but this one is worth mentioning. There are people, couples etc that are made to feel welcome from either interactions in person or online. They aren't judged for where they live, what they ride, how the speak and what they wear. This is a FAMILY. And sometime you don't always see Uncle Ned or Aunt Jennie but they are still FAMILY. I have compared this site, the people and its willingness to be warm, caring people to other sites, motorcycle and other sites non MC. I ALWAYS and I mean always ( ask Eck) want other sites and people to be like us here. If not for this site, I'd never learn about taking chances on working on my bike,riding to new venues, out of state places, meeting people who I'd never meet any other time. As a new member and rider n 2013, I was a sponge of info, and I still can be. There will be always someone who "discovers" a road star or royal star seen in rallies or on the road. RSV is unique, original, special. Just like all of us here. I'm very grateful to meet carbon one, Eck, b2mom and dad, buddy, Karen, gez, Capt.D, djh3, crazy gaucho, cowpuc and tippy, brake pad, Steve K, Yammer Dan, slow roll, Kim, Big Mike and Cheri, the Harley guys,Aussie Annie and Al, and anyone else I've been fortunate enough to meet. I would have never take a chance on riding to Vogel, and tail of dragon if I didn't have the confidence and being comfortable around our people, our FAMILY. So, perhaps tweak it, streamline it, make some adjustments, but to disband it totally in my opinion would be a colossal mistake of epic proportions. Believe it or not, although I don't participate much online due to family and school obligations. This is THE site I check and read first and foremost.

I see this site as a very tight knit family. We come for the bikes but they are just the start of friendships that I think are the best part. Where else on the net can a group of basically stranger come to help each other. What gets me the most is when one of us needs help we are there for them. Need some help getting Christmas gifts, help with rent or just run into hard times, that my friends is very unique. I have bought another brand because I'm not to mechanical and need something that's not 30 yrs. old and they just need to be maintained .To all the VR family thanks .

When I sold my 99 RSV last year and purchased an 07 Goldwing, I joined the GL1800 forum to educate myself on the 1800. It is a great site for gathering technical and mechanical info on the Goldwing. I feel their forum is just that though, a place to get info. I don't feel that it has the comaraderie and family atmosphere of this forum. This is a very special place with lots of special people.

While this is a "Venture" site. I have been educated and re-educated on some electrical systems and wiring etc. For me that has been worth the price of admission. There is a lot more info available here than just for Yamaha's. I am on a couple other sites for different bikes Kawasaki from when I had my Vulcan and recently I have been on the Victory sites doing research. I am on the Delphi Venture forum and those guys are good folks also. But as was mentioned a couple threads up mostly info is exchanged on those.

I have met some of the folks on here and from the very first meeting Brake Pad has made me feel welcome and like a part of the group.

Don,

What you are seeing in the numbers is a natural progression of the way sites such as this ebb and flow. With Yamaha giving us touring riders the cold shoulder, it's to be expected that the paid member numbers will decline some. There will always be people joining and also leaving as they either quit riding or move on to a different brand, at some point it should reach an equilibrium and at that point you'll have to decide , do we fold or shrink to fit the $$? I for one do not ever wish for that day.

The idea of other brands ,I don't think is the answer, you of all people should know that, look what happened with your touring hogs site. Not an easy task to draw new people to something that isn't already a proven endeavor.

Regardless of the bikes or riding, I'll be sticking around because of the friendships I've made from across America and beyond, ,, that is something special in this day and age of anonymity ,hiding behind a keyboard.

If and when the day comes that you have to make that agonizing decision to pull the plug, all of us diehards will support your decision like you supported us. We know you gave it your 110 %. What you'll never pull the plug on is all the friendships and years of comoradary (sp) we've all enjoyed.

In my book this will always be a

EATING CLUB WITH A RIDING DISORDER

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

All good responses folks and I do appreciate it. It is obvious that the consensus is to keep things as they are. I said from the beginning that I felt that trying to make it an "all brand" site would be a mistake. I guess I just needed confirmation about that from all of you.

So, we will continue as we have been. I'll read back through all the posts and look at the other ideas you have suggested regarding new topic areas and that sort of thing. No major changes though. Maybe work on getting the word out a bit better and go from there.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. That is what I was looking for.

Ok, throwing in my 1 cent.

Been on this site from almost day 1.

Wife and I have met wonderful people through this site and have formed extremely valuable friendships.

I still come to this site looking for info, mostly because I can't keep track of all the info.

Also, I know when M&E will occur.

What I believe is hurting this site is Facebook. People, posting info on Facebook is like eating food, taste good going in for the moment, but smells like crap coming out the other side. Really, try to find something important on Facebook posted even 24 hours earlier sucks. This is why this site is invaluable.

Get rid of the Facebook Venture which has fractured this site.

Ok, time to go back to my corner.

Ok, going back to my corner

What I believe is hurting this site is Facebook. People, posting info on Facebook is like eating food, taste good going in for the moment, but smells like crap coming out the other side. Really, try to find something important on Facebook posted even 24 hours earlier sucks.

:rotf::rotfl::amen: Man thats got to be one of the best descriptions of FB I have ever heard. Bravo

Don, I have been a member of this site since 2009. I did lurk for a few months researching what kind of bike the Royal Star was. I was trying to find a bike that I could aford and maintain myself. This site was and still is the reason I have my Royal Star. The members have been a wealth of information and humor. The site may need a little tweeking, but it's great the way it is. I have looked at other forums and found in most cases they were difficult to locate the information I was looking for. As the Royal Star line ages, the people that will buy them will need resources like this one to keep them road worthy or bring them back to life. I have personally recomended this site to every Royal Star owner I have met. Some of them (hopefully) may even be members. Ruffy is the only member that I met in person. However, I have been in contact with several others while resolving issues with my bike. Every interaction with the folks from this site has been a godsend. In the future I hope I can make it to some of the rallys and meet-n-eats. Retirement is getting closer so I might even get to attend "Freebird's Maintenance Day". Every year I follow the chatter that leads up to the event. Then I look forward to the pictures and reading the stories from member who attended. This site is about our passion for riding bikes, but it's even more about the faimly this site has formed. It's said that "you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family". I think this is the exception to the rule.

I tried to join the FB page that goes along with this, but I was told because I was not a paid member of this site I could not join, I am ok with that, but then I went back and messaged the person who sent me the message and let them know I was now a full paid member, and I have not heard back from them. So for my part I am not a member of the FB side of this.

You have a PM (here and on FB).

I have been a member of this site for many years, other then a short hiatus when I bought a Wing. This site has seen me through to my third Venture and I love the technical help and general Venture related information available here from a great bunch of people.

While I am not concerned about the Wing section here, I believe opening it up further to all bikes would be a mistake. There are many forums out there that are brand/model specific where people can get the information they need....just like we do here.

This is a great group of people...some nuttier then others but that's what makes this a family. Where else can you get this much information and entertainment for the $1.00 per month for a membership?

I'm in, I'm here to stay, and I hope the site stays the way it is.

What I believe is hurting this site is Facebook. People, posting info on Facebook is like eating food, taste good going in for the moment, but smells like crap coming out the other side. Really, try to find something important on Facebook posted even 24 hours earlier sucks. This is why this site is invaluable.

Get rid of the specialty facebook thing.

And like the GW guys say, get rid of that too. In fact get rid of anything that is not being used. Really no point, right?

But I'd say keep the site working like it is otherwise. Same name, etc.I think that as long as yamaha doesn't make these bikes anymore, the more important it will be to have a site like this.

It's a great place to come, and a rally or meet and eat is always a good thing.

I'm late to the game here, as usual, but I'll still add a thought or two. I do value the friends and personal relationships I have had with many members here, but all of you who know me know that I am not the warmest, fuzziest of guys. I have a hard time finding common ground to talk with people unless it is around a specific interest (such as our favorite motorcycle). And I like technical stuff, so I learn about all of it that I am personally involved with. That means I spend the majority of my time on these type of sights focused on mostly technical questions and related discussions. To make matters worse, I have almost totally lost personal contact with members since moving to the rural mountains of New Mexico - we just do not have a crowd of riders around here that want to get together for a ride or who need some technical help. And I cannot even get the danged bike down off this mountain after about October - dirt roads, mud, snow and ice just do not help out at all! Those are all reasons why my involvement here seems rather limited at times.

As for changes to the site - I'm not sure my ideas will have much value for all the above reasons, but here goes anyway. I personally have zero interest in information or discussions focused specifically on other bikes - and in particular, Goldwings and HD top that list of zero interest. So the more of that I see, the less involvement I have. If I ever sell the RSV and buy a different brand, I'll almost certainly seek out a group of fellow owners of that bike, not try to change this group to include my new interest. For example, I love my Yamaha Rhino UTV, and I use it up here way more than I use my RSV, but I do not try to shove it into the conversations on this site.

I do not and never will use Facebook or other social media - WAY too much intrusiveness and risk to privacy and personal information. Anything that involves that just drives me away. I used to rate a lot of things I knew about in the Google store, but when they started not allowing ratings or comments unless you used their social media crap, I just left. I still use my Android stuff, but I can't really help anybody else with it.

I may not do well with small talk and idle chit chat, but I do like to help people - that is what I have tried to do here over the past 10 years. I'm not sure what changes might enable that more, but I am all for any ideas in that direction. The things that bring me to a new site are mostly learning things - I've pretty much learned all I am going to about this bike. The things that keep me there are a feeling of fellowship and feeling wanted and valuable. We absolutely have that fellowship here, and helping others is what makes me feel valuable. I just wish that we had some other owners around here. Ride safe y'all (when you can ride at all), and maybe I'll see some of you when I can finally get down off the mountain in the spring! I do miss the 365 days of riding I had every year in Texas (but everything else is better here!).

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Been on this site from almost day 1.

Wife and I have met wonderful people through this site and have formed extremely valuable friendships.

I still come to this site looking for info, mostly because I can't keep track of all the info.

Also, I know when M&E will occur.

Ok, time to go back to my corner.

Ok, going back to my corner

:rotf::rotfl::amen: Man thats got to be one of the best descriptions of FB I have ever heard. Bravo

Get rid of the specialty facebook thing.

And like the GW guys say, get rid of that too. In fact get rid of anything that is not being used. Really no point, right?

But I'd say keep the site working like it is otherwise. Same name, etc.I think that as long as yamaha doesn't make these bikes anymore, the more important it will be to have a site like this.

It's a great place to come, and a rally or meet and eat is always a good thing.

IMHO,, @Sleeperhawk brings up an interesting point that deserves some thought (noticing it instantly got 2 responses). Sleeper - in your opinion, how has the Venture Rider facebook page created a fracture here on the home site? Is it because it has kind of split us into separate groups (if folks are talking over there they are not talking over here) or does it have more to do with the layout of Facebook and stuff getting lost? I also wonder if some kind of a face book "stream" back to the home site here would help us keep track of each other (no idea if that is even possible) and maybe eliminate some of that feeling of being separated (if that is what we are even talking about being a "fracture". If it has to do with page layout and stuff getting lost easily I wonder if the Facebook page could be somehow sectioned off better or something.

I am not a facebooker much either (and farrrr from any kind of a computer geek type) but I did finally figure out how to sign up, got things straightened around on our VR facebook page (THANK YOU @Prairiehammer) and do check the yak going on there every once in a while but still prefer the format here at the main VR site because its MUCH easier for me to navigate here and it just feels more "homey" in a strange way to me..

Edited by cowpuc

I'm late to the game here, as usual, but I'll still add a thought or two. I do value the friends and personal relationships I have had with many members here, but all of you who know me know that I am not the warmest, fuzziest of guys. I have a hard time finding common ground to talk with people unless it is around a specific interest (such as our favorite motorcycle). And I like technical stuff, so I learn about all of it that I am personally involved with. That means I spend the majority of my time on these type of sights focused on mostly technical questions and related discussions. To make matters worse, I have almost totally lost personal contact with members since moving to the rural mountains of New Mexico - we just do not have a crowd of riders around here that want to get together for a ride or who need some technical help. And I cannot even get the danged bike down off this mountain after about October - dirt roads, mud, snow and ice just do not help out at all! Those are all reasons why my involvement here seems rather limited at times.

As for changes to the site - I'm not sure my ideas will have much value for all the above reasons, but here goes anyway. I personally have zero interest in information or discussions focused specifically on other bikes - and in particular, Goldwings and HD top that list of zero interest. So the more of that I see, the less involvement I have. If I ever sell the RSV and buy a different brand, I'll almost certainly seek out a group of fellow owners of that bike, not try to change this group to include my new interest. For example, I love my Yamaha Rhino UTV, and I use it up here way more than I use my RSV, but I do not try to shove it into the conversations on this site.

I do not and never will use Facebook or other social media - WAY too much intrusiveness and risk to privacy and personal information. Anything that involves that just drives me away. I used to rate a lot of things I knew about in the Google store, but when they started not allowing ratings or comments unless you used their social media crap, I just left. I still use my Android stuff, but I can't really help anybody else with it.

I may not do well with small talk and idle chit chat, but I do like to help people - that is what I have tried to do here over the past 10 years. I'm not sure what changes might enable that more, but I am all for any ideas in that direction. The things that bring me to a new site are mostly learning things - I've pretty much learned all I am going to about this bike. The things that keep me there are a feeling of fellowship and feeling wanted and valuable. We absolutely have that fellowship here, and helping others is what makes me feel valuable. I just wish that we had some other owners around here. Ride safe y'all (when you can ride at all), and maybe I'll see some of you when I can finally get down off the mountain in the spring! I do miss the 365 days of riding I had every year in Texas (but everything else is better here!).

Goose

Ooppsss,, was idling to long and the Goose snuck in there on me,, make that 3 responses of some sort about our VR Facebook thingy.. :big-grin-emoticon:

I've been a member of the site since 2007, even though five years ago I traded for a wing. I check this site almost daily and will continue to do so as long as it exists. Yes, I've gotten a lot of good info on the site, but its real strength is its people. I have made lifelong friends here and ridden with many of them. I'm sorry that membership is declining, but 1000 solid members is better than 10,000 who are at each other's throats all the time. I wish things were more solid, and I wish that I could come up with something to help. It certainly isn't for lack of work on behalf of the site founder nor the admin folks who keep things on an even keel.

Facebook...I think it is used by some because they can access it from their phone. I don't use tapatalk so 99.9% of the time I access vr.org on my computer. The occasional time I log into Facebook I'll skim the group but usually don't post. Some of the posts on Facebook get duplicated here because posters know that vr.org is the main site.

I don't have an issue with having forum pages for other bikes. There is some technical support on here for competing brands but this isn't the go to site for Wing or Harley riders. I will read what others post about their bikes even if they aren't Yamaha because if it is a general bike question or opinions of different brands from owners.

Members that trade in their Venture for a different brand don't always leave, and a few that do come back. That is because they know we don't care what people ride, just that they ride. It's been mentioned many times that members here become part of the "family". Even non-paying members can post about having mechanical questions or if they get stranded and we have their back.

Freebird....as long as you are staying in the "black" then keep things the way they are. The rest of us will increase our efforts to advertise the site.

I've gotten a lot of good info on the site, but its real strength is its people. I have made lifelong friends here and ridden with many of them. I'm sorry that membership is declining, but 1000 solid members is better than 10,000 who are at each other's throats all the time.

+1 there. I have been involved with past and current sites that do not have the sincerity and warmth in helping others as this site does. And....I agree with V7goose and others, to remove the wing section, and I own a wing!!! I get technical info from my pal Eck, and Steve K and a few others, no need for a whole section. It's the people. Not the ride. 1000 solid members beats 10,000 members who are all over the place every time. Remove FB if you choose also as it seems people find it an interference or a hinderance in keeping this site flowing smoother...

You have a PM (here and on FB).

To make sure you know I was not complaining, just mentioning it. I know everyone involved here is doing this for free and on the side. Everyone has a job, family, bills, so things get done when they can.

Plus I am not that technologically advanced, so a lot of times it is because of me not the other person

we will get it to work soon enough