IGNORED

Christmas is different this year

Freebird

I have been pleasantly surprised this year during my very limited Christmas shopping. It may be different in other parts of the country but around here, I'm hearing MERRY CHRISTMAS when I check out. It actually set me back and surprised me when it first happened at Walmart. Then yesterday when I stopped by Best Buy, after checking out, the cashier said "Thank you and I hope you have a blessed and Merry Christmas".

I find it incredibly satisfying. Have any of you experienced it in your area?

Yes and it is very welcome indeed. I have heard it said many times this year and all I can say is it's about time! I could get all political on this subject but that is not allowed so I will say Merry Christmas to one and all. MAGA:sign07::sign It wasnt me::sign your welcome::smile11:

One of the great things about living in the Bible Belt is we don't get politically correct. Nobody tells us what to say or how to think. Too much southern rebellion mentality for that. Merry Christmas has stayed the norm for us. Hearing happy holidays around here will get you bad looks or a quick correction. I'm glad to hear it's spreading around again.

I too was told "Merry Christmas" this morning during my handful of shopping stops, it has a great and happy ring to it so I reply in like. I cant speak for all my fellow Atheists and Agnostics but I really enjoy knowing and being around folks with varying religious beliefs. Diversity is great, I really like all the various holiday greetings as long as they are delivered with enthusiasm and good cheer.

I have to admit that it would feel sort of empty of nobody said Merry Christmas.

Live in a very ethnically diverse area, 25 miles from NYC. Am sensitive to others beliefs, but finding that more folks are freely saying

Merry Christmas, which I find very refreshing. It's nice to be retired and to not have to follow corporate etiquette. Merry Christmas!

Christmas is VERY different this year for Nina & I as this is the first year in 12 that we have been away from home and we've only been together for 12 years. We've always had a big Christmas gathering with our kids and friends .... it feels very strange to be here in Florida without them.

Having said that, we have noticed while out shopping locally that many of the retail workers are wishing the customers a Merry Christmas. Much more than I can recall from years past at home.

I have experienced this wonderful greeting more this year. I received an email today from one of our federal politicians in my district and it ended with Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. Had to post to his site that if that is the best you can do, I won't be voting for you in the future. :stickpoke:

:farmer:

I grew up in a family and with friends with very diverse religious beliefs. It was great. More holidays to celebrate, more kinds of ethnic food to share. And even a great variety of religious and ethnic stories to ponder over. The guiding philosophy was, share the best everyone has to offer.

Merry Christmas !!!!

http://randyrick.us/img/ChristmasMoose.gif

There is a lot of ethnic diversity here. With the exception of Islam no other religion has demanded we stop celebrating Christmas. It was the mindless minions of the politically correct that made that demand. I have noticed a lot more people are now saying Merry Christmas where they used to say Happy Holiday.

There is a lot of ethnic diversity here. With the exception of Islam no other religion has demanded we stop celebrating Christmas. It was the mindless minions of the politically correct that made that demand. I have noticed a lot more people are now saying Merry Christmas where they used to say Happy Holiday.
Right, I've noticed that too. This country is following in the footsteps of the leftist PC apologist tree huggers in California. I wonder if The Donald is having a positive affect on the war on Christmas around here like he is with our neighbours south of the border.

One can only hope.

I have been pleasantly surprised this year during my very limited Christmas shopping. It may be different in other parts of the country but around here, I'm hearing MERRY CHRISTMAS when I check out. It actually set me back and surprised me when it first happened at Walmart. Then yesterday when I stopped by Best Buy, after checking out, the cashier said "Thank you and I hope you have a blessed and Merry Christmas".

I find it incredibly satisfying. Have any of you experienced it in your area?

Absolutely! There are still a few hold outs but there always was. Us country boys never did change though, it's always been "Merry Christmas". So glad this "PC" thing is on it's way out. Was at the Pittsburgh VA Thursday with the wife and virtually all of the staff were wishing Merry Christmas to the patients.

Right, I've noticed that too. This country is following in the footsteps of the leftist PC apologist tree huggers in California. I wonder if The Donald is having a positive affect on the war on Christmas around here like he is with our neighbours south of the border.

One can only hope.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/theres-no-missing-trumps-merry-072817746.html

I generally say Merry Christmas to people I talk with. I do try to be sensitive to where people are from or what I think their religion is. I will say "Happy Holidays" in those circumstances. I know many Muslims and people of other faiths and to 99% it doesn't matter if you say "Merry Christmas" to them. "We" are supposed to be sensitive and tolerant of others but "they" are as well.

I know many Muslims and people of other faiths and to 99% it doesn't matter if you say "Merry Christmas" to them.
Exactly so doesn't it make you wonder what lame brain is pushing this Happy Holidays substitution for Christmas. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the term Happy Holidays but I can't recall it being used during Thanksgiving and other holidays.

"We" are supposed to be sensitive and tolerant of others but "they" are as well.
Saying Merry Christmas to anyone from another faith is not being the least bit intolerant. Christmas is not just about celebrating the birth of Jesus, it is also about good will and brotherhood to all. That's as inclusive as you can get. All other religions have their own set of important celebrations that aren't necessarily grouped around the winter solstice, which was celebrated long before Christmas was ever thought of.

Merry Christmas to all. :fatsmiley:

Oddly enough I have had people from many different religions wish me a Merry Christmas and do not ever recall any of them saying Happy Holiday's to me. For one thing I do not think many of them see Christmas as offensive as some of us seem to think they do, because it does not conflict with similar celebrations of other beliefs because the various celebrations do not actually fall on the same date. Ironically the ones I do get Happy Holiday from are usually either silly political correct people or non religious people of our own culture. One person at work prefers to wish everyone A happy Ho Ho which I personally find some what irritating, It's Christmas. Remember when Merry Xmas was popular. I did not care for that either.

I respect other peoples beliefs and cultures, as long as they are non violent and only wish for the same respect in return.

Edited by saddlebum