IGNORED

SPAM Attack

Freebird

We got spammed hard last night.  I've had to make some changes, at least temporarily, until I get it under control.  We have over 1900 new trial members posting crap.  I had had to change the rules so that trip members cannot post until I get it figured out.  It will take some time to ban all these and delete the content posted.  

• Like 2

• Freebird changed the title to SPAM Attack

Well here's an update for you all.  When I got up at 6:00 this morning, my incoming email looked like a ticker tape.  Within about 5 minutes, I have about 3,000 emails.  New registrations and posts.  I had to shut the site down to stop it.  Then I had to change some settings to stop people from auto registering.  It is not set to allow registstrration only have my approval.  I hated to do that because it means a lot more work.  Previously, people could register after filing out the form and then replying to the email.  Now they still have to do that but still can't actually fully register and post until I manually approve them.  I've already banned approximately 2000 accounts that registered last night.  I have about 300 waiting to be manually approved and probably all of them are spam registrations also.

After banning all those spammers, I then had to go through every topic area of the forum and delete the spam posts.  There were over 2000 of them.  I think I've got most but may have missed a few.  I'll look closer later on but have to get out of here now to take care of a couple of stairlift servicer calls.

I don't know why there are those in this world that just live to screw with other people.  I would love to be able to pay them an in person visit.  After that, I don't think they would ever do it again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, Motorcycle Mike said:

Yea, I got the BANNED message this morning too. And I thought WTF did I do?

Thanks for all the hard work Don. You da man!

I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out what I had done, of course I've been there before but on this forum :scratchchin:

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:47 AM, Woody said:

I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out what I had done, of course I've been there before but on this forum :scratchchin:

I was doing the same. :think: and couldn't come up with an answer :confused24:. I mean who would even consider banning me :innocent-emoticon:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1