IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, RDawson said:

Found a flat rear tire, puncture in the middle of the tread. Pulled the wheel to find the pumpkin dumping gear oil. 🤬🤬🤬. New tire mounted and waiting for new bearings and seals for the final drive. All right before Vogel. 

I feel your pain Brother I am replacing the back tire as we speak, which of course ruined any plans I had to ride this weekend. Came back from walking the dog on Thur when suddenly my line of vision was drawn towards the rear tire of my bike to note a big lengthwise split in my rear tire (a split not a cut) and probing it revealed it was separating from the cord as well. The tire still had better than 50% tread and was new in 21. As well it spent the past year sitting on my lift in the garage. This is the third set of Dunlop's I had to replace before its time. The first set (E3's) I replaced because the bike suddenly started to slide sideways on highway ramps despite still having 30% tread, the rubber just got hard. The second set E4's developed a bad case of hair line side wall cracks to numerous and deep to feel comfortable about. And now this second E4 with the 2 1/2 " split to the cord down the inside of one of the grooves. BTW it too was starting to get slippery in the turns, so maybe seeing the split was a blessing. In any case I am done with high end Dunlop's if any thing I would go back to the 404. However I decided to give the SHINKO 777 a try since they seem to have a good following on this site.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saddlebum said:

I feel your pain Brother I am replacing the back tire as we speak, which of course ruined any plans I had to ride this weekend. Came back from walking the dog on Thur when suddenly my line of vision was drawn towards the rear tire of my bike to note a big lengthwise split in my rear tire (a split not a cut) and probing it revealed it was separating from the cord as well. The tire still had better than 50% tread and was new in 21. As well it spent the past year sitting on my lift in the garage. This is the third set of Dunlop's I had to replace before its time. The first set (E3's) I replaced because the bike suddenly started to slide sideways on highway ramps despite still having 30% tread, the rubber just got hard. The second set E4's developed a bad case of hair line side wall cracks to numerous and deep to feel comfortable about. And now this second E4 with the 2 1/2 " split to the cord down the inside of one of the grooves. BTW it too was starting to get slippery in the turns, so maybe seeing the split was a blessing. In any case I am done with high end Dunlop's if any thing I would go back to the 404. However I decided to give the SHINKO 777 a try since they seem to have a good following on this site.

Luke, come to the dark side :stirthepot:

I am currently running Metzler 888's on my bikes. They're quiet and handle great in the rain. God help you if you find a tar snake in the road though. I went through an intersection in Dubuque the other day that had lots of tar snakes and I nearly ended up in someone's picnic.

I had my third Nexen darkside mounted this week. Gonna install the OEM final drive today to get ready for Vogel. Waiting on parts to rebuild the VMax pumpkin. Riding one up and not taking the trailer so the higher gear shouldn’t bother me too bad. 

Took, the the bike to work today. Break in ride for the new shinko I just mounted. 1st thing I noticed was despite running 40 psi how much of a softer ride they gave over the E4. I do not expect to get great cornering just yet so I will reserve judgment until later.

Edited by saddlebum

I'm a little late to the game but in preparation of my departure tomorrow for Sturgis, I have installed the Speedohealer to correct mileage for the trip,  verified carbs synced (they were perfect), leaned the carbs, dropped the oil level (it was overfilled above the site glass level), installed the Barons rear lowering kit and lowered the front 1 inch.  I'm only 5'9".  I needed my feet flat on the ground.  Just checked tread depth, 6/32 in the front and 4/32 in the rear.  Looks like I will be taking it easy and buying a rear tire when I get back.  It's only 600 miles up there from here.

• Like 1

Whew, now I know what it feels like to ride in the desert. I put a little over 300 miles on yesterday and had to quit from the heat here in Kansas. The air temp was 112 at my house when I got home and riding with full gear was a real challenge. One thing to do now is change the clutch fluid as I lost response a couple of miles from home. After everything cooled down (including me!) I checked the clutch lever and it was back to normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpep1982 said:

Whew, now I know what it feels like to ride in the desert. I put a little over 300 miles on yesterday and had to quit from the heat here in Kansas. The air temp was 112 at my house when I got home and riding with full gear was a real challenge. One thing to do now is change the clutch fluid as I lost response a couple of miles from home. After everything cooled down (including me!) I checked the clutch lever and it was back to normal.

Definitely needs a flush with new fluid 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was tired of not being able to see out of the stock mirrors on my 2018 Venture so I made master cylinder clamps with mirror perch mounts built in and installed lighted turn signal mirrors on the bars. I then went ahead and did a mirror delete on the fairing by adding lights in place of original mirrors. Thanks to Steve for making me the wire connectors that match up to the original harness to make it all work. 

Edited by WIZ
changed wording
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Installed saddlebag guards, yanked the side covers off to start a stator/regulator upgrade, put bearings and seals in the VMax pumpkin so I can get it back under the bike. I’ve been running the OEM pumpkin since Vogel. 

18 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Installed saddlebag guards, yanked the side covers off to start a stator/regulator upgrade, put bearings and seals in the VMax pumpkin so I can get it back under the bike. I’ve been running the OEM pumpkin since Vogel. 

I got some beer in the fridge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin

8 hours ago, Marcarl said:

I got some beer in the fridge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin

Load it up and bring it down here in June for the rally. Ah forget that beer is cheaper here just bring the Eh Team with you.  

• Haha 1