IGNORED

Long hard 24 hrs,, my Dad passed away an hour ago,

cowpuc

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jarhead Biker

Such terrible news. I'm very close with my mom and dad (79 and 80 yrs old, respectively), and I'm not looking forward to the time when I have to make that announcement!

Praying for peace, comfort, and strength for you, your family, and all of the friends. God bless you and yours.

Dave

First of all I want to thank each and everyone of my family here for ALL the responses,,, whether written down in a reply or just a thought/prayer or both.. I had spoken with my father many times about my extended family on here. He was never into biking much but always thought it was neat that we had such a great group of friends all over the world..

Having never been thru the process of dealing with everything from writing an obituary to dealing with funeral homes and the like, this is a whole new deal for us.. I know my Dad is in a MUCH better place, being rid of the pain and suffering he had been going thru for so long,,,,,,,, I am happy for him but still in major grief..

My kids from California should be pulling in any second here,,, I am sure the tears are gonna start right back up again.. Tomorrow is detail day for Dads funeral on Monday (11 a.m.). Sunday is visitation, 2-4 and 6-8 at a Funeral Home here in Muskegon - we dealt with the detail of that today...

Wow what tuff stuff....

Thank you again for all the tender support and encouragement.. I have read thru all the beautiful responses and can now relate to those who have responded with memories of going thru it,, this is hard stuff..

When I get a chance I am gonna try and post my Dads Obituary up,, or a link to it.. I really really wanna say,, what a great Dad I had,, he truly was a remarkable person in his own way.. We were different, he the athlete, me the rebel gearhead but somehow God gave me him for my Poppers.. We found a bond of enjoying the great outdoors together - a lot of hunting, fishing, camping.. That said,, it is amazing to me to now walk out in the fresh fall "Deer Season" air and feel his presence,, and can appreciate the comments written about exactly that!

After I "grew up" (go ahead and laugh,, I KNOW he is) I had a long talk with him about my early years struggles,, he forgave me for my mistakes and I forgave him for some stuff too.. After that our relationship was grade "A"... It was so wonderful being able to hold his hand during those last few hours and KNOW that we had shared in something very special because of forgiveness,,, something that nothing can remove...

Thanks again to each of you!

Puc

By the way,, anybody have any problem with me printing a copy of this thread off to share with my family?? Don (or Mods), is there a rule I would be violating by doing so??

First of all I want to thank each and everyone of my family here for ALL the responses,,, whether written down in a reply or just a thought/prayer or both.. I had spoken with my father many times about my extended family on here. He was never into biking much but always thought it was neat that we had such a great group of friends all over the world..

Having never been thru the process of dealing with everything from writing an obituary to dealing with funeral homes and the like, this is a whole new deal for us.. I know my Dad is in a MUCH better place, being rid of the pain and suffering he had been going thru for so long,,,,,,,, I am happy for him but still in major grief..

My kids from California should be pulling in any second here,,, I am sure the tears are gonna start right back up again.. Tomorrow is detail day for Dads funeral on Monday (11 a.m.). Sunday is visitation, 2-4 and 6-8 at a Funeral Home here in Muskegon - we dealt with the detail of that today...

Wow what tuff stuff....

Thank you again for all the tender support and encouragement.. I have read thru all the beautiful responses and can now relate to those who have responded with memories of going thru it,, this is hard stuff..

When I get a chance I am gonna try and post my Dads Obituary up,, or a link to it.. I really really wanna say,, what a great Dad I had,, he truly was a remarkable person in his own way.. We were different, he the athlete, me the rebel gearhead but somehow God gave me him for my Poppers.. We found a bond of enjoying the great outdoors together - a lot of hunting, fishing, camping.. That said,, it is amazing to me to now walk out in the fresh fall "Deer Season" air and feel his presence,, and can appreciate the comments written about exactly that!

After I "grew up" (go ahead and laugh,, I KNOW he is) I had a long talk with him about my early years struggles,, he forgave me for my mistakes and I forgave him for some stuff too.. After that our relationship was grade "A"... It was so wonderful being able to hold his hand during those last few hours and KNOW that we had shared in something very special because of forgiveness,,, something that nothing can remove...

Thanks again to each of you!

Puc

By the way,, anybody have any problem with me printing a copy of this thread off to share with my family?? Don (or Mods), is there a rule I would be violating by doing so??

So sorry for your loss. I won't bore you with a story about losing my folks. Suffice to say, you are a lucky man to have been able to share activities with your dad and especially forgive and be forgiven...that is priceless!! In contrast, my father was a very hard man to know; he worked all the time when I was young to support 4 kids a wife and a house. He didn't really know how to communicate-especially feelings and more especially to his family. He was overly strict and a serious disciplinarian. But, I appreciated that somewhere in there was basically a simple, uncomplicated, ethical, God fearing man, who at one time in his life rode an Indian....an activity I have also enjoyed with the bikes I've had through the years. I must say that I do envy you your relationship with your dad. I would have given just about anything to have played catch or shot a couple of hoops or shot a box or two of ammo at the range. Oh boy what a downer.....sorry about that. Don't misunderstand, I loved the guy, we just never connected and that I regret.

My point is Puc, that where I laid to rest a man that I knew well, yet didn't know at all, you can celebrate a life that you knew well, that knew you equally well, someone you shared so much with.....That is .........PRECIOUS! So, my friend, I will ask Gods blessing on you and your family during this time of loss and renewal. God Bless!

Steve Risher

(the one and only original Autopilot)

We have a forum for that, called 'In memory of', that way it's easy found, or you can plunck it right here so that those who were interested enough to post get an immediate copy and know where to look.

Scott,

Never easy to see the ones we love go to the other side. At the end of the day, we need to see the simple things, that of which they are home with their creator. We dont really grieve for our loved one, they are at peace, we grieve for ourselves and our loss.

How fortunate for you and your family that everyone was able to be with your father until his last breath on earth. As hard as it was to see him pass, you can take some comfort in knowing that y'all were with him as long as possible.

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, I grieve for your pain as y'all are my friends. I hope that you can find the peace you need and remember all the good things you shared with your father....all the best to your family.

Sorry for your loss Puc. Prayers sent.

Thought this might be a lift to you.

A father and his son

Are inexplicably bound,

And that bond isn't severed just

Because Dad's no longer around.

A son remembers his father's words,

His wisdom and his wit.

There's never a day the ever goes by,

When the son doesn't find a use for it.

And this is how the father lives on

Inside the heart of his son.

Although they were parted

In this way the two live as one.

Scott,

I am in awe and respect for the special bond you and your Poppers had. You have created a special bond with this whole community.

Ellen and I wish you and your family the strength to always remember the goodness in his life, in his words and in his deeds.

Ellen and I will be in the Vatican next weekend and even though it may not be specific to your faith, it is a place of faith and prayer and we will say a prayer there for you, your family and your Poppers.

Much love

Neil and Ellen

VentureFar...

So sorry for your loss. I lost my father many years ago. I still think of him often and there have been plenty of times when I wished I could seek his advice and wisdom. There are many good memories though and I am thankful for the time that he was a part of my life.

I feel your pain. I lost my dad in 1972 and my mom in 2012. I don't know how close you were to your dad, but there is always a void. I have been with out him twice as long as I was with him, his place in my heart is just as big as it ever was. He wasn't around for his grand kids, never got to see them. I am lucky, I play with mine everyday.