IGNORED

Compact Tractor Purchase

Freebird

Well, I hope it wasn't a mistake but I ended up paying off the bank and keeping my recently deceased brother-in-law's tractor. I have used it over the past year primarily for unloading the stairlifts off of semis when they are delivered. I know very little about Mahindra tractors but it seems to be ok. It's a 4x4 model with diesel, loader and mowing deck. 3 point hitch and live PTO. 2015 model with only a hundred something hours on it. My preference would have been a Kubota probably but I didn't want to spend that much money. I needed something to unload the trucks, I think I got a decent deal on it but not rock bottom, we had already built forks for it that attach to the bucket. This is a picture of one just like it that I found online. Looks identical. Hope none of you have horror tales about the Mahindra brand.

28EA3782-7F61-425B-8938-2051D5235873.jpg

Here's picture of my brother-in-law unloading a pallet off a semi not long before he passed away. This was before we added the forks to the bucket.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11c5.jpg

If I remember correctly, International tractors were bought out by the Indian Co. Mahindra. So, in a way, it's an International. The ones farmers in my area had when i was young were called Farmalls made by International. I think according to the ads, it's the best selling tractor in the country. I wouldn't worry about the quality at all.

Let me say from experience, add a rack and hang on weights at the back if its doing FORK LIFT duties would be highly recommended. The hydraulics on those things will pick up a house, but when you get that house 5 ft up in the air and hit reverse the center of gravity lets you know real quick! If it wasn't for a death grip on the steering wheel, old Smitty might have made it into orbit, the from came down and the back went up about 8 ft in a blink! Funniest thing you'd ever see:rotfl:

I understand. I'm not dealing with enough weight to worry about that at this time. It's just getting them off the semi trailers and down my 450 ft. gravel drive. I considered just buying a used fork lift but after looking at the prices of units that would work fairly well on the uneven gravel drive, the prices started getting pretty high even for older models that would likely need refurbishing to be reliable. Then all they would do is lift. At least with this, I can move snow, mow, etc. so it serves multiple purposes. Just made more sense to me than a dedicated forklift.

If I remember correctly, International tractors were bought out by the Indian Co. Mahindra. So, in a way, it's an International. The ones farmers in my area had when i was young were called Farmalls made by International. I think according to the ads, it's the best selling tractor in the country. I wouldn't worry about the quality at all.

I'm very familiar with the old Farmalls. Spent many summers sitting in the steel seat of one of them raking hay. There are still a lot of them around today.

What no backhoe!? LOL (Just kidding Don) That is one nice looking little tractor! Hope it serves you well.

Sorry for the loss of your BIL.

I bought a brand new Kubota about the same size as this Mahindra about 10 or so years ago. It was a great little tractor. I bought it because I had a special project and needed it at the time but after I finished, it was just sitting there and not being used so I sold it. It did have the backhoe and it was very handy at times. They make a backhoe attachment for this one also but I don't see myself needing it at this time.

I believe at one time Mahindra manufactured some John Deere tractors, may still be. It looks a lot like the JD 2000 series. I sold Jd for 8 years and the Mahindra was one of the trades we like to get in. As was mentioned, put a weight bucket on the back, it will save you bucks down the line in replacing the front wheel bearings. Big problem with 4wd tractors that at not counter balanced.

Wow Don

That is exactly what I'm looking for for my newly purchased farm. Do you want to sell it or where can I get one?

Well, this one is not for sale. My BIL bought it brand new at a dealership in Medina, OH. Not far from me but I'm sure you can find one closer.

A buddy of mine bought one just like that about 6 months ago. He said he has experienced one major issue that he can't seem to find a fix for. It's that darn curry scent coming from the exhaust. LOL!!!!!

That wouldn't be an issue to Don....having owned a Harley (Don't they assemble them in India too?) a while back. Should be used the curry smell.:big-grin-emoticon:

She's a beauty, and will come in handy from time to time. It's one of those things that you may not use much, but when ya need it, it sure is nice to have.

Having said that, I believe I have the dubious honor of having the UGLIEST backhoe in existence.

It barely runs....vibrates, smokes and leaks,.....generator's shot, so it needs a freshly charged battery to get a few hours use out of it,... but it beats the hell out of doin' it by hand.

:dancefool:

A friend of mine bought two Mahindras a few years back, one like that one and a larger one for his farm. He uses the small one more than the other as it will move into tight areas and with the three point hitch he can attach some of the implements and plow his potato patch. He is 92 now but his son and grand son use them regularly. No problems at all from what he tells me.

Hi Don:

We've owned a similar-sized J-D 4100 compact: 4WD, dual range, w/power steering, AND Steering Brakes on the left side. Hopefully this one also has those - priceless when trying to move heavy snow. Despite the 4WD we always put chains on the REAR wheels, to assist in steering when shoving snow around in slippery conditions.

Also consider adding a level indicator bar on the bucket in a visible spot to assist in NOT removing half of your gravel driveway. Hooks on the ends of the bucket's top bar will only be useful a million times. (Thank us later for that one.)

Can't emphasize enough re: WEIGHT on the back end; both for traction, AND safety as mentioned above. The bucket can be your best friend (as you already know), or a lethal weapon - always run with bucket sitting LOW. We 'load' the rear tires, adding about 400 lbs in the right place, so there's nothing to add, or remove at any time.

The 4100 was the only Deere tractor built by the Japanese. Over 16 years and 1800 hrs it has been completely trouble free save for batteries every five years. We assume this one will give you similar reliability. They have a great rep.

The only problem we've had with the Deere is wasted time - a) Explaining to passersby who constantly stop to enquire what it is, where we got it, and/or would we sell it? b) Helping neighbors lift something that's too heavy for them.~

Don't ever let it go.

Rgds, WRIDR

great machine. My thought is a box blade to add some rear weight, that will also help with that uneven drive you mentioned. That is my most used accessory besides the bucket on my little tractor. I just leave it on all the time unless I'm needing something for a different job. That thing may last for years and years with a little tlc.

Enjoy

Bill

Seems to me I remember that the farmers back home added water to the tires to add weight?

Can't do that in the north. Calcium chloride or salt brine. Works good for the added weight but hard on the tractor wheels. Chains work best for snow. A 3ph weight box can be removed for lawn work.