IGNORED

Compact Tractor Purchase

Freebird

Seems to me I remember that the farmers back home added water to the tires to add weight?

But up here there is a type of anti freeze that must also be added to the water in the tires so that they do not freeze solid. IIRC it was Calcium Chloride, which also makes the water heavier and corrosive so you also need an inner tube. I have also heard of people using RV anti freeze since it is non toxic, if/when you spring a leak. If you use regular antifreeze it is very toxic and most animals will lick it up cuz it tastes good.

Great looking tractor, does this mean we need a tractor section to show off our toys ah I mean tools that we must have in order to do our honey do list properly. I have a Kubota L45 and a Kubota B26. the B26 needs a new home since the L45 is just a bigger version and can do the same things. Don they are right about the counter weight if you are doing a lot of lifting hang a box blade on the back. :mo money:

The stairlifts that I unload off the semis come in good sized boxes but really aren't very heavy. Light enough that I can scoot the pallets around once I put them in my garage. If I start lifting anything heavy, I'll certainly add some weight to the back.

I didn't get it home until Thursday and finally looked to see how many hours it has on it. 167 hours so it should be good for a long time. I know that he had just had it serviced.

Don, we suggested 'loading' the tires to provide the necessary extra back end weight. However, we've looked at your pix again (it IS a seriously beautiful machine), and we're pretty sure those rear tires are a LOT smaller than our JD 4100 compact's. Not sure they'd provide enough extra weight to make loading worthwhile - a rear blade is a much better idea, and sits further back for additional benefit.

Somebody mentioned Calcium Chloride. That's what we had done 15 years ago. Somebody else mentioned corrosion, and that has happened to our wheels. Inner tubes solved the problem, but don't restore the wheels. Obviously water is a no-no for Winter in your area. Something else is available these days, which doesn't cause corrosion... unfortunately we can't remember what, but any dealer would know.

Last thing - you probably know this too. If your property has any hills, with bucket on NEVER go on them in any direction except straight up and down. Running side-to-side on any hill will get very expensive in a hurry; for hospital bills, or funeral services.

Rgds, WRIDR