IGNORED

Looking for new truck opinions.

BigLenny

Hello Friends,

I'm interested in hearing your words of wisdom.

I am a sales rep for Grainger. I drive 3000+ miles a month on my Ford F150 Crew Cab Lariat. Love my truck! But, the equity is at it's premium right now, and it's a good financial decision to trade it for a new one before I drive another year and put 30K more miles on it and eat the equity drop. So, I've been looking at trucks, and I'd like to hear your opinions about them. Just a note: I have primarily driven Fords. Not because I think they are better than Chevy's, GMC's, or Dodges. I don't get into that brand bragging crap. To me, it comes across as extremely high schoolish and immature. When I buy, I try my best to look at all aspects of the truck, no matter what the brand is, and it has just worked out that the Ford truck, for one reason or the other has been my choice on a pretty regular basis.

So, here are the options that I'm looking at, with a few of the pro's and cons I've observed:

Ford F150 Crew Cab 4X4:

Dealers are quoting me at $10k-$11K off of sticker for a 2017 model.

This truck is still an attractive buy for me, however, the budget I am keeping myself in is only going to allow for a cloth seat XLT model. I'm okay with stepping down from the Lariat I'm in to the XLT, but it just kinda bugs me that Ford's pricing is so high, and getting higher. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to keep paying more to stay with this brand.

This truck has the 2nd largest interior cab room on the market, second only to the Toyota Tundra. This works well for my 6'6" frame. And, it is spacious for carrying back seat passengers, especially for long trips.

I drive the 5.0V8 version because I'm a little edgy about the 3.5 Ecoboost. I just have a phobia about taking a small motor and spinning it up with a couple turbos, and expecting longevity out that motor. But, after seeing the performance of the eco boost since it's 2010 inception, I'm kinda opening up to it a little.

Fit and finish is top notch, and I have driven a ton of trouble free miles over the years with this brand.

Gas mileage with the 5.0 V8 is fairly sad. I've been averaging about 15.7 MPG.

GMC/Chevy 1500 CRew Cab 4X4:

Dealers have quoted me $11K-$12K off of sticker.

The GMC is my favorite between these 2. I like the looks of it more than the pedestrian look of the Chevy. But, for the right money, I would consider a Chevy.

These trucks are very long legged in the front of the cab, and are super comfortable for my long frame, however, the back seat area is plain old dissappointing. The best I can describe it is; GM appears to have lost design interest when they got past the front seat. First of all, way less leg room in the back seat than the Ford product. Then, the back seat head rests are embarrassingly small. They're just little rolls on top of the seats, and anybody with even average height, their heads will be resting against the back window if they might doze off and take a nap while riding, or worse, their head will be going through the back glass if rearended. It's sad for this price of vehicle. And, finally, the back seat has NO rear air vents for the backseat passengers while all the other trucks in the market do. That bumfuzzles me.

I love the gas mileage of the 5.3 engine in this truck. I know guys who are averaging 18-19 mpg. That could be an extra $80-$90 a month in my pocket at the miles I'm driving per month.

The infotainment system is better than the Ford's.

This truck is not less money than the Ford, but has less content. However, I like the look of the GMC truck.

Ram 1500 Crew cab 4X4:

Dealers are quoting me $15K-$16K off of sticker.

I like a whole lot about this truck. The main thing being the price. I can buy a hard loaded Laramie edition for less than I can buy an XLT cloth seat version Ford. It is a beautiful truck in the Laramie version with the leather and all that comes with that trim.

The 5.7 Hemi is a growling sounding a powerplant with very good power. Fun to drive.

HOWEVER, this truck is small inside. I just about knocked myseflf out when i went to get in the truck and the top of the door trim whacked me in the side of the head. The door opening is very small compared to the other trucks. And, when I got inside, with the seat all the way down, my head slightly brushed the ceiling while we were test driving. I'm not sure I could get used to that. Not sure why Dodge made this truck smaller. And, the back seat room is a tad bigger than the GM trucks, but nowhere near the Ford. The back seats are very comfortable though.

It has the #1 rated infotainment system in the industry.

What worries me is; I am not sure about the long term quality of this vehicle. I hear the quality has gotten better since Fiat purchased them.

Toyota Tundra CRew Cab 4X4:

Dealers are quoting me $8000.00 off of sticker.

This truck is intriguing to me because they are known for their long term quality, and their resale value is crazy good. But, I waver back and forth about the overall looks of this rig. And, it's dated. They need to update it.

The dude is HUGE! Crazy big inside the cab. Its rated the largest cab in the industry, and the backseat leg room is cavernous.

Will pay quite a bit more for this truck than any other in the industry. I'm not completely sold on the notion that this truck is better built than the American trucks.

Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4X4:

Dealers have quoted me $11k-$12k off of sticker.

This truck makes me go huh? It was drastically redesigned for the 2017 model year, and they made it waaay better. It is on par with all of the trucks in the industry.

BUT, it is the lowest selling truck in the market. Like, far below everything else. I have researched it, and the people who own these trucks, absolutely love them, but there aren't very many of them out there, because NIssan hasn't sold a ton of them in the past. This new redesign has tripled their sales number, but it's still a long way from even Toyotas numbers.

Test driving this truck was a very nice surprise. Very smooth, quiet, and a cool sounding qrowl from teh 5.6 32V V8, with stump pulling feeling torque.

The fit and finish is high. The insides has plenty of space front and rear.

I can buy the SL loaded with leather for less than I can buy a cloth seat XLT Ford, or GMC/Chevy.

And, here is the thing that is attractive: Nissan, to boost sales has put a 5 YEAR, 100,000 MILE BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY on this thing. That is impressive for a truck!

So, I could go on and on about each of these trucks, but I'll stop for now.

Give me your opinions, experiences, deductions on any of these brands.

Thanks,

Big Lenny

Good breakdown.

I drive a 2004 GMC Yukon XL. It's been the perfect truck for 198K miles.... Nothing major replaced. Even have original brakes... Despite towing a 2 ton boat since truck was new.

But I'm now looking for a new 3/4 ton so I can better tow a travel trailer.

I'm open to all brands as well...

So I'll be watching to see what others say...

I know...

I'm not much help to you, Lenny... Sorry....

I had an 05 Chevy 2500 Silverado, it got smashed up and I also drive an 08 Dodge 5.7. Gas mileage about the same, more get up and go in the 5.7. Dodge handles much better and sits just fine. Wouldn't trade my Dodge for another. Yes a bit smaller than a Chev or Ford, but suits me better. Got 220,000km on it so far and not much unexpected in repairs. We have 2 chev 2500 vans, built in 05 and am very happy with them, one has over 400 on it and the other over 300,000km.

Fords are giving good gas mileage though, friend of mine has a 16 with a 5L in it and I'm jealous.

I was a Chevy ,GMC man for most of my life and in 2012 I purchased a Ford Lariat crew cab 4X4 with the 3.5 turbo engine 6 speed auto and what a difference. The Chevy and GMC would do this upshifting all the time going up small hills when pulling a trailer and drove my nuts and I had a 1993,1998 ,2000 and a 2008 and that all stopped with the Ford. Great puller and great gas mileage when not pulling down the highway. I have 80,000 on my 2012 Ford truck with no problems except normal wear items and oil changes. MY next truck will be the Ford again with the same setup if they still have it when I am ready to trade.

Good luck on your pick

I got new truck fever a few months ago and test drove a Ford SWB 4x4 with the 5.0L. It rode harder than I like and driving around town normally it didn't feel any perkier than my old 2002 F150 Scab 4x4 with the 5.4L 260hp engine. Stepping on it was a different story. I test drove a Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L. It had such a smooth ride. I didn't notice anything I could complain about. I used to be 6' but being the old fart that I am now, I have shrunk to not much over 5' 10". But the tightwad in me overcame the new truck fever and I'm still driving my old 2002.

I had an XLT with cloth seats. I liked them. They were not boiling hot after sitting out in the sun, and not like a frozen icicle in the cold of winter. Leather seats don't really do it for me unless they are premium leather like you'd find in an expensive luxury car.

Thats my 2 Cents.

Lenny a friend of mine has a Titan and loves it. Very smooth ride and fun to drive. He has had very little trouble with it the past 5 years. I have driven it many times and would put one at the top of my list if I was in the market for a new truck. The ford Eco-boost is not what I would be interested in, I have heard too many sad stories about them.

I have a buddy that just picked up a 2017 F150 and when we was deciding on the engine to get, he asked the mechanics at the dealership and 8 out of 10 said the 5.0L V8 over the ecoboost. Most of the F150 in the shop where ecoboost equipped F150. The ecoboost has to run near max to make the number to be close to the 5.0V.

I have a 2011 F150 Lariat with the 5.0 and I get about 18 MPG when driving at about 70 or so. Of course it depends on the weather conditions and wind speed and direction but I am very happy with it. If you are not having any issues with your truck, keep it, maintain it properly and it should last for a long time for you.

Hope this helps

Rick F.

Have a cousin that has a F 150 thats prob 4 or 5 years old now with the 3.5 turbo. They pull a fith wheel and have been all over with that thing and far as I know no issues. I like Fords cabs also. GMC and Chevy same truck. They roll down the same line and just put whatever decal on them. GMC think their stuff is worth more and usually outfitted a bit nicer from what I have seen. I drive currently a 96 Ram 2500 cummins. Im not but 5'6" so leg room aint a issue for me. But I like the Dodges in the half ton as you can get a small displacement deisel that get decent milage. Toyota looks just like a Ford to me now. Nissam big v8 motor truck makes gobs HP but fuel mileage is the lowest of the half tons.

Your'e gonna here a lot of stuff based on personal preferences. Chevy guys don't want to hear FORD, Ford guys laff at DODGE, Dodge guys don't believe anyone else makes "REAL" trucks. The fact is all the manufactures including Toyota and Nissan make a good truck. Even Subaru and Honda are good vehicles in the full size market (very rare) but out there.

Your best bet is to figure your need. How often do you tow, do you need a crew cab (kids dogs) do you need or want a 8 ft bed versus a 6 ft bed. After that its just plugging in the variables till you have a truck from each MFG, then take the time to look at each one on a dealer lot.

I have a Friend who doesn't like the ford because the mirrors are too low on the door. Another guy doesn't like the Chevy because he sits too upright! So find what fits your need then what fits your body then what fits your pocket book.

your better off spending an extra $5K for a truck you like, rather than hating for the next three years the truck you saved $5K on.

Here at work I have at my disposal Chevy Ford and Nissan. For hauling loads around town the Nissan doesn't even notice the load, but for long trips Say Here to Orlando and back I prefer the Ford, My brother prefers the Colorado on the same runs for the same reason but he's two inches shorter and probably 70 pounds lighter. So it really comes down to to what fits you.

Checking the KKB and Edmunds reports you'll find the same general incident of repair on all the major MFGs. Toyota probably has the best record for fixing stuff with out arguments. Typical american dealers argue on general principal, but will fix if you push back and threaten to call the district number you're given when you buy. The horror stories about dealers saying things like "oh well if it happens at 80MPH we're not responsible" " or this mfg is ignoring X problem, or every brand X with Y motor and trans is junk ther're alway in the shop are just isolated incidents from disgruntled folks with buyers remorse.

Edited by baylensman
can't spell for crap

My son bought a new F150 4x4 in 2016 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine. He puts on a lot of miles as he generally works several hours driving away from home.

FWIW, he's had numerous problems with that truck. Driveline issues, engine issues. He always seems to be fighting with Ford to get them to cover the problems on warranty.

Hey Ya'll,

Thanks for the responses so far.

So far, I have narrowed it down to the Ford, Nissan, or Ram. The GMC is really good looking to me, and I like the gas mileage it gets from the 5.3, but in the end, the rinky dink back seat has caused me to kick it out. I took my mom, and my wife out to the dealer and test drove it with them in the back seat, and both of them were not wanting any more of it. Very uncomfortable for anybody to ride for an extended period of time, and that poses a real problem because we vacation each year on the beach in Destin Florida, and that is an 11 hour drive, with all 4 seats full of folks. This year, we will also be taking a 2 week trip out to Colorado with folks sitting in all 4 seats. The Chevy has the same issue. I hate its that way. Chevy just unveiled their new 2019 model that will be hitting the market this fall, and it looks like they have addressed that issue with better back seating. But, it will be quite some time before the rebates get high enough to put the truck in my budget.

I've decided to kick the Toyota out because of the gas mileage issue. I have talked to a large number of Tundra owners the past 2 weeks, and for the most part, all of them like their trucks, but their number one complaint is: the thing sucks gas like a Hoover vac. Everybody I've talked to says the truck on a good day averages 14.5mpg, and most said it's less than that. That aint gonna work with me driving 3000 miles per month. I do like the resale value of the Yota, and the expected durability, but it also suffers from being kinda bland looking. The insides are very plasticky (if thats a word). Also, the pricing on the Yota is nowhere near where I can buy the other trucks. $7K-$8K off is the most a dealer has quoted me. That pales in comparison to the $10K-$16K off the other brands are offering.

The Ram certainly intrigues me because right now, at this moment in time, they are throwing wads of rebate money at their 2017's to move them. You can get a lot of content for the price of the Ram. But, I have ran into several people who are happy with their Rams, but have had repair issues with them. The Ford is in the running because it offers features (tailgate step, large backseat room, etc.) that other trucks don't have, and I know the durability of them, because I have been driving that brand for quite some time.

But, The one that keeps staring me in the face is the Nissan Titan. I have test driven this truck 3 times at different dealers this past week, and I am becoming more impressed with it every time I drive it. Great power, very comfortable with the zero gravity seats, a lotta content for the money, cab passenger space is good, gas mileage is acceptable, and most of all, that 5 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I have some numbers from a dealer here local, and they are very good. Good enough for me to almost bite.

Another thing that kind of tugs at me is; it's different than the rest of the market. I'm kind of a cat that is not a follower of the masses. Following is very boring to me. There is a reason I don't own a Harley, it's mainly because everybody and their grandmother has one, and that's boring to me. It's the same reason I don't own a Goldwing. The Venture, and the RSTD, are unique bikes that don't follow the masses. The Nissan Titan is kind of the Venture of the truck world. A very capably built truck that not a lot of folks buy, but by all intents and purposes gives its owners a lot of maintenance free miles. There is a cult following of this truck.

I gotta get this done before I leave to go to Orlando in 2 weeks. It's the last week of the selling month for these dealers. The deals are starting to get hot because theyre trying to meet unit bonuses. We'll see.

I really like Nissan vehicles. I bought my wife a new 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum edition when they came out with the new model in 2015. We've had absolutely no problems with it and it has been great.

One thing that I was told by my local mechanic and friend though is that Nissan's repair costs are high. He tried to talk me out of buying it because he said that most Nissan parts are proprietary and expensive. Not an issue if you trade vehicles while they are still under warranty but we pretty much plan to keep this one for a long time so at some point, it may come back to bite me.

I really like Nissan vehicles. I bought my wife a new 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum edition when they came out with the new model in 2015. We've had absolutely no problems with it and it has been great.

One thing that I was told by my local mechanic and friend though is that Nissan's repair costs are high. He tried to talk me out of buying it because he said that most Nissan parts are proprietary and expensive. Not an issue if you trade vehicles while they are still under warranty but we pretty much plan to keep this one for a long time so at some point, it may come back to bite me.

Have a friend who has had 2 Nissan trucks, both were very dependable. He had same issue.....parts were expensive and labor was higher than expected due to engineering design...IE...harder to get to the area to repair, if that makes any sense...

But they loved the trucks...

On my end, it looks like my Yukon XL will tow 8400 pounds. I've found aftermarket and original trailer mirrors are available, and the dealer says my truck will tow a 7K trailer just fine with the $800 anti-sway/load equalization hitch added to trailer. Electric brakes are built-in to my truck's wiring so just need to add controller.

So now I'm re-thinking getting a new truck. i like the ride/handling and mpg's of my XL with 5.3 V8. So might keep it and see how well it tows a trailer.

I like reading this thread...lots of impressions on various trucks!

Don,

You bring up a valid point. The repair costs are going to be higher due to it being a Nissan. I guess the question then is: will there be less repairs than other trucks. Hopefully, huh? That is why the 5yr/100,000K B to B warranty is so appealing.

We're like y'all; my wife drives a 2017 Nissan Murano Platinum. She has had no problems with it, but that had better be the case with a vehicle that is less than a year old. Before that, she owned a 2014 Nissan Altima. Had that 3 years and never had a speck of trouble from it.

On my end, it looks like my Yukon XL will tow 8400 pounds. I've found aftermarket and original trailer mirrors are available, and the dealer says my truck will tow a 7K trailer just fine with the $800 anti-sway/load equalization hitch added to trailer. Electric brakes are built-in to my truck's wiring so just need to add controller.

So now I'm re-thinking getting a new truck. i like the ride/handling and mpg's of my XL with 5.3 V8. So might keep it and see how well it tows a trailer.

I like reading this thread...lots of impressions on various trucks!

I have a 2005 Yukon XLT, pulled 3000# ski boat for years, currently pull 21' Travel Trailer, Loaded 6500#. My specs say mine will pull 8200#. I have a WDH as well. I average 18 hwy, drops to 11 pulling TT.

I would not pull much more than I have. I swear those specs are for flat land travel. Don't believe everything a Dealer says, do your research on forums like this. Nothing better than real life experiences.

I'm considering an upgrade to a possible 250 / 2500 diesel.

I have researched, and resale value is interesting. Although the GMC Yukon XL in general has more bling than the Suburban, the Suburban has higher resale value down the road.

You might take resale value along with cost of ownership into consideration with your choice.

But most important of all: Buy what makes you happy

Spence

I have a 2005 Yukon XLT, pulled 3000# ski boat for years, currently pull 21' Travel Trailer, Loaded 6500#. My specs say mine will pull 8200#. I have a WDH as well. I average 18 hwy, drops to 11 pulling TT.

I would not pull much more than I have. I swear those specs are for flat land travel. Don't believe everything a Dealer says, do your research on forums like this. Nothing better than real life experiences.

I'm considering an upgrade to a possible 250 / 2500 diesel.

I have researched, and resale value is interesting. Although the GMC Yukon XL in general has more bling than the Suburban, the Suburban has higher resale value down the road.

You might take resale value along with cost of ownership into consideration with your choice.

But most important of all: Buy what makes you happy

Spence

Spence, Agreed. The diesel point was what interested me the most. But for now the Yukon does very well with the 4200 pound sailboat. I average about the same just a tad higher towing.

I drive an '06 Titan and love it. Being Nissan's first crack at a full-size truck there were some growing pains, but by and large I've been quite pleased with it. Most of the quirks can be addressed and/or serviced on your own and there's a wonder forum full of fantastic members offering TONS of useful information (www.titantalk.com) which can help save on the maintenance costs. I'd like to believe that on this go-around that they've overcome these issues and a 5/100k warranty would definitely ease someone who might be nervous about it. My only concern would the the miles you put on the vehicle as that 5.6L V8 is a thirsty one for sure. I know the new ones have a 7sp vs my 5sp transmission, and the newer 5.6 is direct injected vs my port injection, but you will spend quite a bit of time at the gas pumps with that. That, and the wonderful growl of that big V8 will have you pressing the go-pedal way more than you know you should be. I know we shouldn't really look at MPG when shopping full-sized trucks (if MPG is a concern get a small car/compact truck), but the thirsty motor plus a relatively small tank mean lots of gas station visits.

I have been shopping 3/4 and 1 tons. The Titan has the lowest tow capacity of any of the 3/4. Dont know if that makes any difference to you or not. Not suprised the Ford won out on that link that was posted. I love my old cummins, but its a single cab and really could use a crew or super cab at minimum.

I would go Toyota first with the F150 as a very close second. Both awesome trucks. If you need to be seen with a new truck r/t your job it's understandable but there is no reason your current F150 shouldn't last for a VERY long time to come and give you a return on your investment through use, and more use, and even more use after that.

I wish they all had the tailgate step. I have it in my new F150 and for an old guy with bad knees, I would buy another Ford just for that feature.

Vzuden,

I'm exactly with you on that one. The tailgate step is the main thing i'm worried about giving up if I switch to another truck. I have said over and over and over that I'll never move away from Ford until somebody else makes a step that compares, but, I find myself seriously considering it.

Big Lenny