IGNORED

Once it's going over.....It's going over!

Statussymbol

Now I am a big guy, but this morning after getting to work. I proceeded to turn to back up into our motorcycle parking area at work. I turned a little to sharp and proceeded to "lay" the bike down. Thank god for the highway bar!! Tried to stand the bike up while still sitting on it....NO DICE! Got off it with the bar still holding it up, got my right knee under the seat gave it a little leverage and it popped right up. No damage except for my pride because my co-worker/riding buddy/best friend saw the whole thing and was laughing. Lesson learned!! Stuff Happens!!! ETC.... Probably will not be the last time I do this....LOL.

Stat

Yup! When they decide to take a nap, let 'em, you ain't gonna stop them!!!

Actually the proper way to pick up ANY bike is to put your butt against the seat and push with your legs. Make sure you are holding the handlebars, and careful not to go over the other side...

That will work even for a 95 pound woman, but.... for us guys who are horizontally challenged it's tough getting our assets low enough to get under the seat without sitting all the way down on our heels. Tall guys need a friend too..... LOL

Yup! When they decide to take a nap, let 'em, you ain't gonna stop them!!!

Actually the proper way to pick up ANY bike is to put your butt against the seat and push with your legs. Make sure you are holding the handlebars, and careful not to go over the other side...

Yep- learned this from RIdeLikeAPro.. Dropped mine on my dirt/clay road and got it up with that method.. and those highway bars will save the bike.. its almost like it didn't fall over- but it did... lol

Pulled in to camp in an old graveyard about 2 a.m. out in Bend Oregon one time. Shut off the lights and coasted to a stop by an eary old tree away from the Tombstones so as not to disturb anyone.. Kick stand down, bike on stand, Tip jumped off, I jumped off, turned our backs and CRASH - stand was on a tree root - thought someone pushed Tweeks over..

Cousin and I were at a gas station filling up in Caliifornia. He rolls his Virago over to my fully packed (carrying his gear and mine on my Venture) scoot and points to his overflowing fuel tank - asks what to do.. Told him to lean it down and dump some gas out of it - hot tank, cold gas,,, stuff was streaming.. I grab his left grip while balancing my scoot between my legs to help him lean it. He slips on some fuel - ends up under his bike - me between the bikes and my loaded out 1st Gen on top of us.. All those folks watching the Puc n Rip Comedy show were laughing and they werent even our friends Stat :big-grin-emoticon:

We pulled into the front of a restaurant to park, My wife Lori and I and all the gear, there was a hump in the pavement I didn't see, the left side of the front tire rode up on it and the bike was going over on the right. I knew it was going over, and like Stat said, Once its going, its going, well I gave her one last attempt to lift and it popped right up, almost with no effort.. I looked down and saw Lori's foot on the ground behind me, SHE pushed it back up and saved us! saved us from tipping over in front of a restaurant full of people watching out the windows and our rider peeps behind us starting to park. I bought her lunch that day, it was the least I could do,...

Had it happen to me 2 summers ago as I was visiting my sister (family gathering). Drove into the driveway and it was all freshly installed pea gravel. :shock3: Front wheel dug in and bike slowly started to tip over on the right side. :bang head::bang head: Tried to fight it but in the end had to simply guide it down on the crash bars. Looked up and saw about 30 of my relatives standing there in shock! :group cheers: Did the next best thing, put my arms up and said "Ta-dahhh". Had lots of help getting it back up though. :group cheers:

We pulled into the front of a restaurant to park, My wife Lori and I and all the gear, there was a hump in the pavement I didn't see, the left side of the front tire rode up on it and the bike was going over on the right. I knew it was going over, and like Stat said, Once its going, its going, well I gave her one last attempt to lift and it popped right up, almost with no effort.. I looked down and saw Lori's foot on the ground behind me, SHE pushed it back up and saved us! saved us from tipping over in front of a restaurant full of people watching out the windows and our rider peeps behind us starting to park. I bought her lunch that day, it was the least I could do,...

Unlike you Darrin, I didn't stop mine and the wife was absolutely no help. Pulled into a parking lot to watch grandson's baseball game, tried to make a slow turn, lost too much speed, and away she went.....wife was kind of catapulted off the back and landed on her shoulder breaking a bone. Bike was not damaged as it landed softly on the crash bars but the 3-4 months of PT wife went thru was not fun. Main reason I've got a trike kit on the bike now.....absolutely will NOT go over now. :happy34:

The one and only time (so far); We parked the bike overnight right at the front door of a Hampton Inn. The next morning my wife and I loaded everything up, I warmed the bike up, we got on the bike and confirmed we were both ready to go. I let the clutch out, we went about a foot and BAM! I had forgotten to remove the disk brake lock and it dumped us faster than we could react. RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR. Lol. We were both laying on the ground laughing our tails off while the hotel manager and some customers came running out asking us if we needed help.

Embarrassing to say the least.

All well and good. But when a 1st Gen goes down...it is going down regardless of people, weather, or the Man above's best wishes!

Trouble is, the crash bars only protect the motor, not the plastic and when it goes down, it usually goes down parallel to the ground (or lower) so there is no leverage to get that puppy up at all...nope...nada...none! At least for me. My butt on the seat? LOL...I can't sit that low to get my butt on the seat.

Thankfully, both times I've had help. I do like the little screw jack idea of jacking up on the crash bars to get her up enough to push the rest of the way.

RSV hasn't gone over yet but it's been close a time or two already. I'm nursing a sprained ankle which doesn't help. K1200LT went over the first day. In my defense it was December with slush and snow. When I sold it, after my warnings, the new owner still tipped it on the test ride, and again on the way home. He carries webbing now, so strangers can help right it. A Honda Shadow 1100 got me, engine hiccuped as I turned out of an alley, it was down NOW. but minimal harm, I did a tuck and roll with no harm to me either.

How do I tip thee? Let me count the ways.

-slipped on spilled gas at pump

-soft soil, sand, gravel (all of the above)

-stopped with wheels at high spot/ feet at low spot

-jerked to stop trying to bump start it

-fell over trying to push it

-side stand dug into soft ground

THANK GOODNESS FOR GOOD CRASH BARS!

When I first had my 83 it fell over in soft sand.

so soft I couldn't pick it up...my feet would just slide!

I ended up using a light weight block and tackle tied to a tree.

Went down hard in heavy traffic on the highway. More damage to me than the bike. crash bars work.

Went down soft on dry grass. Stopped the bike and put my feet down. Right foot slowly started to slide. No way I could stop it. Bike slowly went over as I abandoned ship.

A friend pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. Pulled too far over. Left foot hit ground, right foot hit air. He didn't realize he was so close to the ditch. Bike went into ditch as he jumped off and watched it go.

Last week was carefully backing a Honda VTX 1800 Retro out of my shop when the rear tire went off concrete. Tipped over in wet grass as foot slipped no damage. Wife and I could not get this beast too stand up at all. Went to lunch got back and it was still laying there asleep. Happened to notice the Zero Turn resting in the shop hooked a strap from it to the right fork grabbed the Honda handlebars and wife eased it right up without even awaking the beast up.:doh:

Only had one tip over.

Bike was parked in the back yard with a 5 inch pad under the side stand. The ground was so soft it drove that 5 inch pad into the ground until the bike tipped over. Of course the side stand then stopped sinking so the bottom of the bike was higher than the top of the bike withe the side stand holding the bottom up high. I had to lift the bike over the side stand to get it back up and moved it to concrete. First I knew there was a problem was when the wife came in and asked why I had the bike laying on its side.

AND as mentioned the guards on a 1st gen do not stop the bike from going ALL the way over. It does not even start to slow down till the fairing hits the ground.

And just to jinks myself, I have not yet dropped a bike in 30+ years of riding.

Oh dang, there is no wood to knock on anywhere around here....................:scared: I'm toast. I guess tomorrow I will be picking the bike up..............

Dropped while Pushing: CHECK. Dropped while going slow: CHECK. Dropped when Not Putting kickstand down: CHECK. Dropped while dropping it off center stand: CHECK!!! Gas Station Miss hap: Nope got DARNED LUCKY THAT TIME... but gas is like standing on Magic Bubbles.. My 83 has only seen crash bar landings so Um FLYING FOOL THESE BIKES DON'T HAVE WINGS.:whistling::whistling:

The Kawasaki Concours site has a thread called Connie Droppers Anonymous.

The local governments use gravel and oil top coats to repair roads. We have locally a particularly round form of stream gravel they use. At intersections and corners you might as well try to ride on ball bearings. They have got me and my wife, and I've had a couple of "skating" incidents before the front got back to clean pavement and caught.

In the how unlucky can you get category...

PORTAGE, Wis. (WMTV)---Police said chicken excrement caused two motorcycles crashes in Portage on Tuesday.

According to the Portage Police Department, a liquid waste recycling truck stopped abruptly in traffic on U.S. Highway 51 due to construction. Police said the vehicle started leaking chicken excrement after it left a chicken processing plant that was nearby.

Minor injuries were reported.

Roads are now open. The excrement has been all cleaned up.

Guy is going to be stuck with the "chicken spit" name for a while.