IGNORED

Do you know your signs of fatigue?

VentureFar

A good friend and I who do long rides together recently did a quick 3 1/2 day round trip Los Angeles to Portland (2000 miles ) On the way back about 9pm after riding from early morning we were talking on our comm's about assessing our level of fatigue. My buddy was definitely on his second wind but I was questioning my fatigue level. That by itself should be the red flag, but I found MY farigue measuring stick.

When I am rested I can sweep my eyes from left to right or right to left smoothly ( as we all do when scanning ) and when I am fatigued as I scan my eyes stutter across the horizon. As soon as I recognized this we found the next motel.

What is your test for getting off the road? If you don't have one then subscribe to this thread (I hope).

Ride safe,

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar

This is a great topic for those that ride long distances (I do).

My sign of fatigue is when corners are no longer smooth. When fully rested, it is a clean sweep through a corner. When fatigued, I seem to step through it (turn, straight, turn, straight, etc.). Time to get a hotel.

RR

We need to recognize that different days will produce different levels. You might have the same bike, ride the same roads, leave the same time but there are many variables that will determine the time to quit. I/m not sure where mine is or what I might use to assess myself, but I have been know to stop and grab a snooze in the afternoon at times. I do know that as the day wears on, more cars will pass me than earlier in the day, and that corners aren't as interesting as they were earlier.

Some things that will determine length of ability:

Temperature

Humidity

Clothing

Traffic

Sleep the night before

Booze

Hydration

Stopping times

Vibration

Wind protection

Seat comfort

Noise

Type of roads

Food

Attitude

That's just for starters.

Thanks for starting this thought thread. Don't think we've ever dealt with this before. It's a good thing to be aware of.

For me, when riding in the dark, all headlights start to look like they are on high beam and hut my eyes. When I am well rested the oncoming headlights do not bother me unless they are actually on hi beam. The other one that is becoming more prevalent in some of the newer cars with LED tail lights. Many car makers use what is called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to dim the LEDs for the tail lights, this means that there is a circuit board that is flashing the LEDs on and off at a high frequency to make them appear dimmer. Most people can not see the flashing and only perceive the dimmer light. My persistence of vision is low enough that I can see the flashing of the LEDs and the more fatigued I am the more it bothers me to the point that I must either pass them or slow down to get another car in between us.

In day light, when my eyes start to have difficulty transitioning back and forth from shade to sun. Interrupted sunlight like you would get along a tree lined road really hurts my eyes if I am tired.

Yeaaa,, good thread @VentureFar!! :thumbsup:

:think::think:,,,, how I know I am getting fatiqued when touring,,, :lightbulb:,,, when Tippy taps me on the shoulder and asks me to wake up:big-grin-emoticon:

Seriously though,, thinking out loud here,, I may be somewhat limited to exposure to the fatigue that we are talking about because I/we dont do a lot of night riding. I have never been much of night rider when it comes to touring.. I like to be able see the scenery (and dangers) and not being able to do so kinda takes away from a big part of the purpose for touring on a motorcycle in my case so I dont do a lot of it.. Most of the time we ride sun up till sun down (I always called the hour just before dark "magic hour" when touring because it just seems like the most relaxing part of the day for me,,, maybe that is some form of fatigue thing - I suppose thats possible) and usually start looking for a hidden spot to drop our tent for the night just before dark. On the same token though, I have driven a LOT of miles while caging or truck driving during the night and I do know from experience that night driving DOES have a much higher level of causing fatigue - both mental and physical - in my case..

Another thought of mine in this discussion has to do with traffic.. I also lean more toward being a lazier type of tourer and tend to seek out the laziest paths of travel (a week of direct travel can easily turn into a month of time when avoiding traffic) and thinking about it now that you brought the subject up, fatigue may have something to do with why I do that too.. While I really like driving at speed and competing with traffic (like the 99 or the 5 out in Cali - puts me into race mode sometimes) at times,, I have noticed how tiring that can be.. A number of years ago I was touring California, had been playing in the traffic around LA for to long, got really really tired around noon,, pulled into a Burger King - parked the bike - unrolled my sleeping bag and laid down in the parking lot next to my scoot and slept for a couple hours..

Thanks a lot Neil,,,,, now I gotta go take a nap cause all this thinking about fatigue while touring made me tired :big-grin-emoticon:

I did an iron butt ride, 1500 miles in 36 hours a couple of years ago with a crazy old bird.........somebody dozed off while cruising up I-75..........

Now myself, I used to do the Michigan Midnight Ride. Leaves out of Rockford Michigan at midnight, ends in St Ignace the next morning. Just the other side of Gaylord it me. Double vision, could hardly keep my eyes open. At that time I had already been up 26 hours straight. Pulled over got a cup of hot coffee and back at it. I did not make it to bed until the 42 hour mark later that afternoon. NEVER AGAIN.

Edited by rickardracing

I find fatigue to be an interesting topic. There are days when 2 to 3 hours is enough as the eyes are tired, I'm zoning out and not able to quickly focus. This is usually caused by wind and truck turbulence....in heavy traffic at high speed.

Other days I can do 14 hours and be tired, but still alert.

Hope @leroy can find the article...want to read...

I found the article on fatigue on the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum. It is titled Fatigue and Motorcycle Touring by Vice Adm (Dr.) Don Arthur. He is a well known long distance rider and the 35th Surgeon General of the U.S. Navy.

I tried to link to it but had trouble. So hope you can find it. It is a little long but not as boring as some.

I found another done on sleep and the lack of done in connection with pilots who fly long distances. It made my eyes water and my body turn to stone. That article was very long and extremely detailed. I did learn some things between naps. The grocery store ran out of coffee.

Edited by leroy

My first sign of fatigue is constant slow down, speed up,,slow down, speed up When I notice that happening I know it's either time for a break or to call it a day. Second sign is trouble keeping visual focus. These things don't normally start showing up till about 8 hours into a full day ride. Here are 3 to read. There's hundreds of articles if you do a search for rider fatigue.

http://motorbikewriter.com/10-tips-beating-rider-fatigue/

https://www.coloradomotorcycleexpo.com/motorcycle-riding-tips-fighting-fatigue-long-trips/

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html

My first sign of fatigue is constant slow down, speed up,,slow down, speed up When I notice that happening I know it's either time for a break or to call it a day. Second sign is trouble keeping visual focus. These things don't normally start showing up till about 8 hours into a full day ride. Here are 3 to read. There's hundreds of articles if you do a search for rider fatigue.

http://motorbikewriter.com/10-tips-beating-rider-fatigue/

https://www.coloradomotorcycleexpo.com/motorcycle-riding-tips-fighting-fatigue-long-trips/

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/motorcycles-hearing-loss.html

Ragtop, Good stuff

Guest divey
Mine's easy. When I start to stare straight ahead, it's time to pull off the road and take a power nap.

Same for me Jack. Catching myself staring straight ahead or being unable to remember the last few miles I've ridden is usually a good sign that I need to refocus on the task at hand.

Mine is similar as above, only it isn't always staring straight ahead. If I am doing my scanning I get fixated on something and stop scanning and stare at that object or direction.

As well as others who stated their speed slows down and they have to speed up again, unless it is because I am enjoying the scenery.

I'm embarrassed to say and hope I have learned my lesson when going beyond my fatigue a sign is my facing hitting my gas tank. Luckily the bike stayed up and all was ok.

Usually for me is that my mind wanders to other things other than where I am at or doing. Mixed with not being able to recall the last few signs or markers. Time to take a break, 5 hour energy has helped to regain focus, for me with out becoming edgy or shakey.

Bill

I road the four corners of GA with a group one of them was a Dr. At every stop he was asking us questions and doing other stupid stuff to find out he was checking us for fatigue. It was in late August and the weather was hot and muggy, he would get on to anyone that bought a soda at a gas station, he made sure we all took in enough water to stay hydrated. In the mornings and lunch we ate foods that gave us energy not sucked it from us. Riding with him was unique, but he showed us how what you eat and drink during the trip can increase or decrease your fatigue level

Ok question, some of you said you pull off and take a power nap. Where do you do this?

When I was younger I road a Suzuki GS1000 across country and use to sleep on picnic tables on road side rest areas. But that is frowned on now.

I still power nap on picnic tables or on the ground. I usually leave my helmet on if in any doubt about safety. I also use the Iron Butt Motel, lean back on my seat bag, prop my feet up, and nap. I have been told cemeteries are good and quiet.

However, one time after doing the Iron Butt Motel along the Cassiar Highway with an overcast sky when I awoke I rode the wrong direction for 20 minutes. After seeing for the second time the same people camping but on the opposite side of the road I figured it out. I am glad I got squared away as I would not have had enough fuel to make it back to my previous fuel stop. I didn't bother to check my compass. Lesson learned.

I found the article on fatigue on the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum. It is titled Fatigue and Motorcycle Touring by Vice Adm (Dr.) Don Arthur. He is a well known long distance rider and the 35th Surgeon General of the U.S. Navy.

I tried to link to it but had trouble. So hope you can find it. It is a little long but not as boring as some.

I found another done on sleep and the lack of done in connection with pilots who fly long distances. It made my eyes water and my body turn to stone. That article was very long and extremely detailed. I did learn some things between naps. The grocery store ran out of coffee.

I found the article. I think this will take you to the website

http://www.mctourer.com/Safety/Fatigue.pdf