IGNORED

No bike now....what to do....

Freebird

Well, if everything goes according to plan, I will be without a bike after tomorrow. I sold the Harley this week. I still have it primarily because I am out of town and can't do all the paperwork until I get home. I've had enough calls from his credit union getting the paperwork ready though that I expect it to be a done deal when I get home.

I don't know what I'll do now. There are a few reasons that I sold the Harley but the biggest one is probably that we don't ride much. Where we used to ride 15,000 - 20,000 miles some summers, that had dropped to 5,000 miles or so. Last summer it got even worse as we probably only put about 500 miles on the bike. Most long weekends and etc. we seemed to end up a the lake.

So while I really don't want to give up riding, I had a fairly expensive bike that spent way too much time sitting in the garage begging to be ridden. So now I have to decide what to replace it with. Of course my first inclination is to pick up one of the many of low mileage RSVs that are floating around out there. It is still one of my all time favorite bikes. The only slight downside is that so many aftermarket accessories have become so hard to find. I seriously doubt that I would dress it out as fully as the '99 that I sold but there are some things that I would absolutely want. The best thing would be to find a used one that already has some of those things on it but after that, it is mostly Ebay.

The one other thing that I REALLY liked on the Harley was the fuel injection. I can live without it though. It's not like I don't know how to sync carbs and I honestly had no problem with the carbs on the RSV.

So, I have some decisions to make but I'm in no hurry. Maybe I need to take a break completely this summer.

Edited by Freebird

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang..... So Puc who ya gonna pick on now?

Don I am a pretty firm believer in what happen is for a reason. If you get back to riding great, if its a break in action thats cool too. What about one of the wingy thingy. Plenty of info on them and parts to boot.

Buy the RSV. Half the fun of putting on the extras is in getting them. Once they are in place the fun seems to diminish. So it takes longer, so what! You know the real value in an item is in it's cost, time it takes to get it, difficulty in keeping\installing it eh? If it were simple and easy, the value would go down,,,,, get my drift?

Maybe talk to Dan, he might have just what you would like? :stirthepot::whistling:

This is my last post.

On 4-17, is my renewal, that's not going to happen. I to, just make bike payments and don't use the bike. and I'm in the process of changing careers. I'm dropping my contractors license in august, But will be starting CDL course, in 3 weeks. I'm going back out on the road. It's were I was happiest.

So I'll be selling my bike & trailer as a package. $16,000.00 2012 Honda Goldwing with 31K & a Matrix Rover Trailer w extra tires and rims.

It's been a great 9 years. I've made friendships that will last a life time, and have gone to places, I had never been, because of this group.

The wife retires in 3 years, and I have another 15 to go, , there is no work for me in Vero Beach, so I'm heading out for the mileage game.:fiddle::crying::bawling:

I have actually found a couple of RSVs that I'm considering. Just haven't decided yet what I'm going to do. Time will tell. There are some good deals around if you look.

I did fair on the Harley. Could have been a lot worse. I actually had it listed a little cheaper here than I did on Craigslist. Sold it on Craigslist for what I was asking though. Was close to changing my mind about selling it so i would not have come down on it.

I DID obey my own rules here and never posted it in the forum, only in the classifieds. :thumbsup2:

Dang..... So Puc who ya gonna pick on now?

Don I am a pretty firm believer in what happen is for a reason. If you get back to riding great, if its a break in action thats cool too. What about one of the wingy thingy. Plenty of info on them and parts to boot.

""Dang..... So Puc who ya gonna pick on now? "" = EVERYBODY :stirthepot::guitarist 2::rasberry: :Laugh: and especially Freebird cause he aint got no motorcycle now:duck:..

Hey Don,, ya wanna try something fun while your waiting for the "we gotta ride long distance" bug to kick back in? You ought to consider an old Shovel or Pan or something.. Owning Olivia was an amazing experience, learning to ride a tank shifter was inspiring to say the least - the learning curve took me right back to being a kid again = what a BLAST!! What da heck brother,, maybe even keep an eye open for a really cool high piped 2 stroke Yamaha twin or something just to buzz around on.. Toss some sweet smelling Klotz in it so when we follow you into town for dinner we can all sample some memories of days long gone by!!:banana:

Talking about about picking up another RSV,, I have ALWAYS liked the looks of the Millenium RSV's. I been :178: over that one in our classifieds since the day it was posted.. Scoots only got 20k on it and it's a 2 owner bike for 5k - not bad at all.. I LOVE bike shopping my friend, talk about a BLAST!! I have also noticed a LOT of great deals out there on the new Indian's.. Saw a brand new 2014 left over the other day with an asking price of 14,500 - they are gorgeous..

Not to compete with Marcarl in his ability to ramble on but I also noticed something else in the ad for the Millenium - the poster wrote something about a bike hauler running a Spring special for hauling a bike cross country.. I did a little checking and found out that company will deliver a scoot anywhere in the lower states for 450 bucks - not bad!! Never did call em and see if that was a total price or not (fuel charge?) but sure had me thinking about grabbing something out of California or Florida (seems like thats always where the best deals are)..

CONGRATS to the person that ended up with that great big gorgeous Road Glide of yours Don! Hopefully you also tossed in a membership to the site here so we can keep track of your bike!! If he does show up I PROMISE to be good and not tease em:think:,, to much:innocent:

Don, I know what you mean about having a bike in the garage and not using it. I've been doing that for quite a few years and everytime I sell one I get the "empty garage" syndrome and go buy another bike knowing full well I won't ride it like it should be.

It's nice having one on hand when I do decide to ride. I guess the good thing is I haven't made a payment on a bike for 30 years - that's why it doesn't boother me to let them sit in the garage

I'm in the same boat just dropped my RSV off at the dealer this afternoon. :confused24:

What am I going to do without a bike?! :confused07:

I don't pick up the new one till Friday......... :whistling:

Lop eared :stirthepot: biker teasing no :photographing:'s sharing Canuckian varmint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_lurker:

Only two more days and we FINALLY get to see and hear all about it - RIGHT:mad:?

The Indian is gone but I still have my Honda VTX hint. That Honda VTX 1800 is faster than any stock Harley 110 out there. The Harley guys have too spend quite a bit of cash to out run a stock Honda VTX. And did I mention it is also water cooled. Just food for thought Don. Also, Honda doesn't build the VTX 1800 anymore too the delight of all us Harley :happy65:riders.:happy65:

Last year, I may have put 300 miles on my 83 and this is after I went to MKII forks and rotors, R6 calipers, SS brake lines and new head bearings. The problem is I am getting to the point that I am not as comfortable on the bike, even though on one ride through a very curvy road, I pushed to the max. WOT coming out of the curves and on the brakes very hard. I was riding with two friends and it was great and I felt exhilarated.

The other factor is Linda is not comfortable getting on the bike(I don't blame her) and now that we have two Miatas, the bike just sits. Miatas are a wonderful transition for getting away from motorcycles and there are a lot of members on Miata.net that have done this as they have gotten older.

I received my membership notice today and I did not hesitate to renew. This was more for the friends we have here than the bike, but I do try to help out when I can.

It is a bit distressing to see so few members on line at times. even though we do have a lot of visitors. I sometimes feel like we are slowly winding down on this site and I don't want that. When I crank up the laptop, going to this site is always the first thing I do. Many times I have been disappointed at the lack of new threads and the lack of posts on the threads already there. We seem to have a lot of the old members that are still on the site, but never post anything. I hate to see that, but I guess it just happens. With some of the other sites, like the Miata site, there is no comparison with the family atmosphere we have here. We are special and Don has done a lot to preserve this atmosphere and we need to keep it. :bighug:

Randy

Ya know, MY riding days are numbered too!! Hopefully I will be riding for a couple more years yet but who knows what tomorrow holds. I pretty much plan on staying a member here regardless as this site is FAMILY and I value each and every member here and have made many friends for life!!

It has been a year and a half since I sold my bike.Man do I miss the bike sitting in the garage.First time without a bike since 1966.Diabetes got so bad with my feet I felt unsafe on a bike so I gave up ridding.I went the Porsche convertible route for a while but the clutch got to be too much for my feet so I sold it and found an automatic Mercedes SLK 2.3L supercharged hardtop convertible and I am loving it.It's not the same as riding a bike but it is a close second.Gotta do what makes you happy.008.jpg007.jpg009.jpg004.jpg

I guess if I lived that close to a huge lake, had a boat and 2 waverunners, I wouldnt be riding a whole lot either? I am sure you will figure out what works best for you. Told ya those waverunners where a blast!!

Craig

Well Craig, you were right about the wave runners. They are a LOT of fun. As for the boat? I actually have it up for sale also. Last year I decided to put it in a slip on Lake Erie. That cost me $2,000.00 for he season. I thought that if it was in the water, we would use it more. Nope...we didn't. Oh we used it more....as a camper in the slip. I think we only took it out on the water maybe 3 times and they were short periods. The fact is, we just really don't like Lake Erie. If it was Lake Cumberland, that would be a different thing altogether. So the boat is also for sale. We will keep the Waverunners and just take them wherever we want.

We have considered buying a used Houseboat and keeping it at Cumberland. That is still not out of the question but I think it needs to wait a few years until retirement gets here. It's just such a long drive that I don't think we'll get down there as often as we would like to. Heck....I can rent a houseboat two or three times a year for what I paid for dockage and insurance to keep the boat at Erie.

I will still likely buy another bike. Maybe soon and maybe not, I don't know yet. There are a lot of low mileage RSVs around in the $6,000 dollar range. I would make Dan an offer on my old one if he hadn't decided to play crash gordon on it. :)