IGNORED

State of the Site Address

Freebird

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is still worth your time to run the site for 1000 members I would leave it as is, maybe tweek alittle if you can save some money or time in certain areas. The site has become an everyday part of my life and I enjoy most everything about it. It has given me a completely new outlook in dealing with people, have probably learned more about people then bikes and I mean that in a good way. Met alot of really nice folks at the meets, made some great friends. I would give it another year and see where you are as far as membership, I am always amazed at how many new people are welcomed to the site each day, guess you need to come up with the best ideas to turn them into quality dues paying members. I think the best way to hook em is to get them to come to a meet or rally, once they get a feel for the "family" bet they are hooked. Maybe if the numbers continue to drop, we will need to encourage more members to have more meets in an effort to reach more people? Just a thought... Dont say it enough but Thanks for all you do Don and all the other Mods as well.

Craig

Edited by cecdoo
grammer

As us older members have to move on ( downsize) we will be passing our bikes on to new people who will likely join up here. Cards to pass out would be good. I have told many people about this site but I don't know how many remembered the address 5 minutes later.

I honestly do not believe there is much you can do or change that would greatly impact what is going on with the site now, it is not just this site but all of the forum style sites are being affected by social media. I have a couple of sites I visit daily and this is one of them, I want to see what is going on with everyone however I have not been responding to post like I use to and those of still around reaching out to others is probably the only thing we can do short of taking out ads for the site to keep it afloat.

Here is the link for the business cards:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?248-venturerider-cards

I honestly do not believe there is much you can do or change that would greatly impact what is going on with the site now, it is not just this site but all of the forum style sites are being affected by social media. I have a couple of sites I visit daily and this is one of them, I want to see what is going on with everyone however I have not been responding to post like I use to and those of still around reaching out to others is probably the only thing we can do short of taking out ads for the site to keep it afloat.

Here is the link for the business cards:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?248-venturerider-cards

Thanks for that link ... I had no idea those were available.

It will not be long and those outdated, obsolete, discontinued, 2nd gens :whistling: will be having age related issues coming up. I think there will always be activity with keeping them alive. Just like there is a strong following of 1st gens being kept alive by this site.

As far as a format change to "bikes only", It is my opinion that that would kill this site faster than anything short of pulling the plug.

Where else can you talk about your favorite toy, get correct information on your issue, Usually in a timely fashion, and still be able to get picked on and do some picking back and everyone walk away with a smile, AND come back for more.

I belong to many other special interest web sites for my varied interests, I have never found any that come even close to the very special group of unique individuals we have here.

Sure there is the occasional ruffled feathers, but with very few exceptions, it gets smoothed out and everyone gets back to being friends.

Keep doing what you are doing Don, You have something special here. We all really do appreciate what you do for us even if many have no idea just how much time and effort you put in to this site.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I joined this site 3 years ago when I got my 06. I have absolutely no issues with the fee as it has paid for itself 100 fold as a result of the help and advice I got from the members here. I wish I had more time available to actually participate in the rallies and actually get to meet members. That will come when I retire in 7 years. Lets keep the site as is. I keep referring folks this way on a weekly basis so there are still a lot of Venture and RSV riders that have yet to join or are not aware the site is there. As was said, should a 3rd gen ever come out it should also renew interest.

Edited by Bert2006

I would have to agree. the Face look or whatever it is has killed a number of forums. I belong to an online racing league, the only way we get any info is e-mail or the face thingy. I dont do that so I'm usually behind the curve. Do we have a FB and someone whom watches it and posts pertinent things? I dunno what that would be, but maybe updates on a meet and eat in an area or something. While a thousand members is a large number in my mind, how many were paying members vs trial? I think thinking about adding possibly other yamaha "touring style" (fjr, strat) bike areas may be something to look at. Like someone mentioned we are all riding out of production soon to be antiques, and you have to upgrade or change sometime.

I check in a couple times a day. This place is like a family get together. You just never know who is gonna get picked on next.

I was one of those varmints who suggested we needed a Harley talk area. One of the main reasons I did was because it seems more and more folks are either talking about moving on or already have moved on to another brand of scoot and it seems like Harley Davidson is getting their share of that movement, as a matter of fact - I may have suggested it in the thread where the OP was asking opinions of the F6B compared to the Roadglide:scratchchin:. My point in doing so was in an effort to reassure the OP and others who do move away from Yamaha that, in spite of all the :stickpoke: and :stirthepot: about other brands (and we tend to :stickpoke:at Harley's more than others :happy34:), all bikes are totally accepted here and that we mean what we say when we proclaim "all are welcome". And then there is the fact that I also personally LOVE chatter about all the scoots, how they compare, personal tech tips, ride reports with pro's and con's = anything having to do with any breed of motorcycle and the folks that ride em. Indeed there are lots of other sites out there that deal with all other bikes but I tend to trust (and admire) the family we have here and tend to put more credence in their opinion's and thoughts on the subjects then just something I read on the net:detective:.

Other input that may or may not be relevant:scratchchin:

I like the idea of having a VR Facebook feed streaming on here - or something like that.

Maybe moving the "shout box" so it shows at the top of more area's.

I have tried to be an encouragement to others by nominating them to receive the little reward badges (have not done it enough) when they have done something extraodinary and I have actually had some folks come to me and thank me in person for that little gesture.. I wonder if a reminder in the form of a "sticky note" of how little stuff like that can affect people. Included in that note could also be things like reminding us to also use the "thanks"/"like" icons whenever we read a positive post - especially if the post was in response to a question we had made and someone took the time to answer it..

I came here I think in 2009 or 2010? I bought a 84 Yamaha venture.. and did my best to try and put the beast together

had lots of advice and help. but let it go as I just could not do it. went with out a bike for a year or so. then my daughter wanted to put me back on one. put the word out and got the Honda shadow from leadwolf56,s wife sue. yes sometimes I feel like I don't belong when I do a ride with the group for the rootbeer run here in oglesby IL as I do not ride a Yamaha product.

any advice I need on the shadow I get from kevin call leadwolf56. as he kept up the shadow like it was new.

and I am doing my best to keep her the same. I like the friendship here it don't matter what we ride as long as we enjoy what we ride.

What you started so many years ago, was a site for people to come together to talk about the Yamaha Venture. What you have now after all these years is a place where family comes together. Everyone agrees, that you don't need to make any major changes. I say leave it as it is for now and see where it goes. Maybe Yamaha will get their head out of there butt and come out with a 3rd gen.

Don,

I agree with you that maybe we should do away with the Goldwing section since this is a site geared towards Yamaha's and I also agree with you that there are other sites folks can visit and get all the technical information they want on Goldwing's or any other bike out there. If anyone has a question on a Goldwing I would jump at the chance to help them out only because I have learned quite a bit about them as you have Yamaha's.

The site has dwindled in visits from the "old timers" yet I see new posts some times daily and sometimes weekly where a new member joins. The VR "family" atmosphere is what the new members feel and they see how easily they are welcomed by all those VR active members. The willingness for one to jump in and offer assistance and guidance has never failed whether that particular subject / issue was previously discussed here.

The site has slowly become a family oriented place to post our daily family activities, things purchased (bikes, vehicles, accessories) including jokes, weather, job and embarrassing moments, and yet there are still new posted threads related to technical issues. It is a large mix of just about any subject out there excluding religion and politics (which is a good thing).

The Forum page reminds me of a LARGE restaurant menu with so many things listed to choose from. It has grown to accommodate requests for features that in my opinion should be re-evaluated and see if we can't remove some of them and turn the site back towards motorcycle talk. I am Soooo guilty of posting stuff here that was not motorcycle related only in an effort to bring a smile to someone's face or post on how my day was going.

I will stop here and leave that to be digested for now.

Eck

Who you calling and old timer you Old Timer? Been here a few years, how many I can't tell since the change, but without this site I would not have learned many of the maintenance and repair procedures that has kept Sylvester on the road for 200k miles. But my age is up there and I ride much less now...but I do ride. Keep it simple stupid and leave the site the way I have come to love it. I will be a member until they pull the plug on the machine.

:farmer:

Here are some random thoughts regarding some of the things mentioned so far. This is not meant to shoot down a single one of your thoughts, just expand on them.

I am pretty much in agreement that opening it up to "all bikes" is not the solution. I said from the onset that I just don't think we can be all things to all groups. Our strength here is the the V4 Yamahas. I don't think we would be a big draw considering all the well established sites already out there for the other bikes.

My one exception to this thought and even this goes against some of what I just said. But I'm a bit warmer to the idea of at least opening it up to the VStar line. At least they charge the same badge. That maybe be something to look at.

As for local chapters. I'm not sure that is a viable option either. Think about it. If the majority of you are of the mindset that we should keep this a V4 or at LEAST a Yamaha site, how would local chapters help? How many of us have said many times that we hardly every see other Ventures and Royal Stars in our local areas. I think that to make local chapters successful, they would have to be open to all bikes. If the website remains the central meeting place for those local chapters, wouldn't that mean again moving toward making this an all bikes site?

There is no reason to do away with any features or specific areas of the site. Even at our current membership level or even less, we are fine with our current hosting and software. We have more than we actually need at this time. Even if, in the future, I scaled back on our current hosting plan we would still be OK with everything we have now. It's not the server space that adds to the cost but the server load and bandwidth. I can maintain our space and etc. and simply decrease the bandwidth and etc. if the cost becomes an issue. It is NOT an issue at this time. At our present membership level we are ok with costs.

My only reason for my original post is my desire to keep this place interesting to all of you. I am not overly concerned at this point with the number of members that we have. Not for the sake of the actual numbers. It's just that more members and new members bring new thoughts and experiences that many of us enjoy reading about.

I am glad to see that the site isn't going away that sure would be a bad day, We have met some great people threw this site and I would like to meet more, and the information you just cant say enough about that.

I still go by the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it and I don't think that its broke in any way.

If it was me I would say leave things the way they are for awhile and see how it goes maybe send a email to the ones that haven't been on here for awhile and let them know they are missed, I don't know how much work that would be but if given a list would be happy to help out as I am sure there some more of us that would be happy to help out.

Maybe something like a VentureRider Christmas greeting doesn't have to be anything big just something to let people know that they are thought of, like its been said we are all family here.

Orlin

Don I do not think we need or would want chapters. I am a member of a few other clubs that do have chapters and the membership is dropping in them also. For instance I belong to Southern Cruisers and they are a free club to belong to. The chapter that I am in is the oldest in my state and we had well over 300 members in 2009 now there is less than 100 and maybe 20 that are active. I would not change things unless it has to be done. I do not think that linking it with FB will do any good at all.

I have only been a member a few years but please don't change it. I went to another site and asked a question , i waited 3 days to get a reply ( still waiting). When I ask a question on this site I get a reply. This is a GREAT SIGHT I would not change it. Hay if you have to raise the cost oh well so be it. Us Canadians pay 30% more then our friends across the pond Its well worth it. How would we be able to follow the adventures of our buddy cowpuc he is worth the 12$$$ by him self. Don please keep up the great work.

Someone said it would be nice if more people would post about there travel experience's with pictures and videos. This is something they do over on triketalk. They have what they call "Trike travel" forum. It gets a lot of followers and some of the travel stories can go on for weeks with daily reports with pictures and videos. Maybe you could add this to the site. I have followed several adventures posted there, some are so well put together its like riding along on the ride with them... Just a thought.

I still have my RSTD in the garage and my son rides it. I haven't looked at technical stuff in 2 years or more. I do like seeing comparisons of other makes and such, it keeps me interested in riding when I can't due to work or weather. The Venture/RSTD brought us all together and most of us have met some of our other members in person. The thing I do miss most about this site is the chat room. Several of us used to frequent that almost every day. When I first joined in 08 the chat room was packed with several people at a time. In the last year or so there was usually 3 or 4 of us on there. So the chat room followed exactly what Don says is happening to the site.

So whatever happens to this site in the future, we have to preserve the friendliness that this site has. It's not superficial either. As soon as you meet a fellow member in person its easy to become friends. This site for lack of a better word is casual...not strapped with a bunch of rules of what you can and can't do. Our members get it, and its a fun thing to be a part of. The Venture brought us together but motorcycles keep us together. It's evident by how many of us (me included) have switched brands. I almost let my membership drop last spring. I renewed last spring and last summer we had a get together at Sturgis, approximately 15 of us were there counting wives. We were together for about 1 1/2 hours is all. It totally recharged my Venturerider.org batteries. And that my friends is a powerful thing. This site and its members are a great thing.

I urge you members who haven't been to a get together of some sort, take time and make it to a get together. When you do, bring a friend, when you see how nice and more importantly "genuine "our members are, you will be hooked even more. And so will your friend......

I think we are fine as we are, I could go along with opening up to other Yamaha or STAR bikes, but I do not think we need it just now.

I do not use the Goldwing section much, but do like having it.

Chapters, do not need them.

Even though I do not have my Venture anymore, I still come here first, because it is home, when it was down for the upgrade a while back, I started having separation anxiety, there just is no place like Venturerider.

Don, I think the site is still great as the day I joined it back in 09 when I got my 05. I do admit I don't check it as much as I did back then, but I have learned so much from using the site over the years. I try to check the site often.

Most of all, is the friends the wife and I have met and think as part of our family. The local maint days fellow members put on here in the Houston area each year brings everyone together and welcomes some new faces each time.

Don't have any ideas on making it grow with the Venture not being made anymore. But do think its going to be around for sometime. I know I will be keeping mine till I decide to give up riding. At 61 and 140k miles, I hope that's not anytime soon.

Thanks for everything.

Joined when I bought my first gen in 08 and have had no regrets. I've been irked a few times, but hey, when you're dealing with different personalities, that's gonna happen.

I can't imagine a better Venture forum, and when I've compared it to the "other" Venture site.....I made my choice to stick with this site.

Great info from knowledgeable folks, and when I've met them in person at rallies and the like, I've always been impressed with what a great bunch of folks they are.

I wouldn't change a thing. Membership may be down a bit, but the main players are still around.

How many members do ya need to keep it viable???.

I come and go on the site depending on what's going on in my life, but I'm lurking daily, or perhaps only a few times a week if I'm too busy to play on the 'puter.

The $12 yearly membership fee has never even been a consideration for me. You'd have to increase it tenfold before I'd use that as a reason to reconsider membership. The money saved through the info / help received more than covers the membership cost, plus the opportunities for get togethers and general entertainment are also more than worth the cost. Heck, gettin' to meet Puc at MD was worth the fee in and of itself.

I guess I didn't add much other than to say, I'll be here as long as you are. No plans to sell my Ventures in the foreseeable future although I gotta admit I never took the First gen out this year. Great old bike.....runs great, but with little time to ride, I chose Black Cherry.. (06)

Keeping it just the way it is works for me.

Thanks for all you do. :clap2:

40 views and 1 reply? Come on folks, did you miss the part where I asked for your input? :confused24:

Sorry I missed the beginning of the thread Don but I wasn't up at 2:42 this morning. A west coast time thing you know:)

Here's My 2 cents...I've been a member of the VR.O for a little over a year now and have found the site to be very informative when it comes to looking up tech stuff for both on Gen-1 and Gen-2's and hopefully someday in the near future a Gen-3, Yea right, but to me it's more than that. It is a place where we can share a lot of the stuff life hands us, a place to learn and discuss what is happening in other parts of the world, a place to get help on other important things we sometimes run into, not just Venture stuff but most of all, it's a great place to make friends with like minded people who we may never get the chance to meet otherwise.

Since joining this group I have ridden to the 2015 Venture west rally and the international rally and met some great people. I've have also had the pleasure of communicating, over the site, with many of the other "lop eared varmints" (thanks Puc) that hang here.

There are a lot of other brand riders on the site who still like being a part of the group. I feel thou adding other brand pages as part of the overall mix may not work very well. Maybe consider adding other Yamaha cruiser/road models to the site which would add another dimension of tech stuff plus possibly bring in some new members. Had my last purchase been a Goldwing or Ultra I would have gone to the Honda or Harley sites but since I purchased a Yamaha Venture, enough said.

I don't think spending $12 bucks a year is to much to ask for all we get from the site and probably not much of a deciding factor for wanting to be a part of such a great group. I can spend that much on a good burger and a beer. My guess is we just need to keep having as much fun as we can since there will always be members coming in and going out but, my vote is for to keeping this thing going as long as possible.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one. ― C.S. Lewis