IGNORED

The SOB's shut my off my fuel petcock

Dale124

Well, as Venture West approaches, I figured I should get my bike serviced, so today was the day. I left it with the dealership for about 5 hours, and when I picked it up, off I went. About 3 minutes later, on a busy freeway, my bike started to sputter, then quit. Thankfully, I was near an off ramp, so I coasted up it and was just able to pull over out of the traffic stream. I then looked at my petcock, and sure enough, it was in the off position. I was greatful that I was able to pull off safely, but still, this could have been very dangerous, and it pissed me off.

Just wanted to vent a little to my VR family.

Dale.

I shut them off at my shop, although not usually if it isn't expected to stay over night. Sometimes carbureted bikes leak and it's a fire hazard. Also, it's also not fun when the landlord calls at 3AM because other tenants are complaining of a gasoline smell.

We do try and remember to turn them back on before the customer leaves. It's embarrassing for everyone involved when the customer pushes the bike back two blocks complaining that it "cut out".

Don't be too hard on them Dale, to many it is standard practice to shut it off when left unattended. They also stressed shutting off at the MSF classes.. I was spoiled by the vacuum petcock on my Suzuki.

Glad you were able to pull over ok.

Just a human mistake.

I shut my petcock off whenever I park the bike for overnight - that is when I do not forget to :).

As a rule I always check the petcock before I turn the key and take off.

Learned a lesson getting into the same situation you got in.

Interesting thoughts, guys. So far, I have only shut mine off when storing it for the winter. I think that if I were to shut it off every time I park, that I would eventually forget to turn it back on, leading to another issue in traffic. I will certainly be more aware of this when I next have it serviced.

No petcock on any fuel injected bike that I know of. I actually liked having one for a number of reasons.

Hmmm what do you do when the tank needs to come off. Drain the fregen tank? Don't suppose the design engineer has any common sense. 🍺😜