IGNORED

PrairieHammer and wife went down

Freebird

First let me say that they are both OK. I got a call from Kevin last Thursday. I was at the Cleveland Clinic at the time having my 6 month follow up so wasn't able to answer the phone. He left a message saying that he and his wife were in Ohio and asked about stopping by. I called him as soon as I got out of the clinic. I asked how he was doing and he said not very well. About 10 minutes after he left me the message, he and his wife were forced off the road by a car entering the highway near Youngstown, OH. They were in traffic with nowhere to get out of the way. From what I understand, he moved as far to the shoulder as possible but then hit some tar snakes or something and they went down.

He was at the hospital when I talked to him that first time. He was bruised but OK. His wife was still in X-Ray and he was waiting to see how she was. Turns out, she suffered no broken bones and they are both scraped and bruised but no serious injuries.

I've not seen pictures but apparently the bike and trailer were totally destroyed.

I talked to Kevin again later in the evening and learned that they were being discharged from the hospital and were going to get a hotel room for the night. I offered to drive to Youngstown or have Eileen drive to Youngstown and pick them up and bring there here to recuperate for a couple of days but Kevin said that they would have to rent a car to get home anyway so they would just get a room for the night and then rent a car on Friday. His wife had to be back at work on Monday so they had to get on the road.

They did stop by the house on Saturday morning and visited and had coffee with Eileen. She said that they were doing OK and she really enjoyed their visit.

So hopefully Kevin will check in here soon and explain what happened better than I have. I am just thankful that it wasn't worse than it was. Eileen tells me that she DID send then on the road with a quart of my Apple Pie so hopefully they will get home in time to relax and enjoy that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Don, our prayers will surround them as well. No serious injuries is good news, but the physical healing will still be a process and the mental thing will take a good deal longer.

Best to both of you guys,,, God Bless.

Carl

Hi, all.

Thanks for the expressions of concern.

We are both battered and bruised, but thanks to our ATGATT policy we endured the episode with minor injury. Our leather saved us a lot of skin. Most of the gear is trashed (worn through in several places) but better leather than skin.

The bike and trailer are presumed totaled, but the insurance company has yet to evaluate the wrecked rig. From all indications, as Deb and I slid along the road (and "rumble strip") at 65 mph, the bike and trailer proceeded to flip, roll and end for end into the median. I am unclear as to how far the rig traveled sans riders, but the towing company rep said they picked up everything in the "debris field" that stretched for 230 feet. We made the local news: http://www.wkbn.com/2013/08/15/car-forces-motorcycle-into-median/

The other driver did stop, as well as a multitude of Good Samaritans. The young man was ticketed for improper lane change. And he had valid insurance.

Don's explanation of the accident is correct. The kid simply wanted to get to the front of the line of merging vehicles and swerved into my occupied space in the left lane to overtake those in front of him.

More to this storied New England Tour will come later. It was quite a trip even without the disappointing ending.

Glad you two are ok. I get cut off several times a week, and im driving a tractor trailer. Seems like there are way too many drivers NOT paying attention.

Nothing a little plastex and a rattle can can't fix!:whistling:

Good to hear you guys are OK.

Do your homework on the value of your bike....insurance will try to say it's an old bike and not worth much.....understandable as that is their business...to make money.

Wow, that looks like one of those crashes that happened so quick that loud horns may not have helped.

I am, in general, a pretty courteous driver, but when a lane is closed and I have a guy passing everybody because he does not want to slow down like everyone else, I am not too good about letting them merge. That's just one of my pet peeves. Tennessee is now posting merge points and anyone going past those merge points passing slow traffic can be ticketed. One of the main reasons that the 2 into 1 traffic gets so slow is those slowing or stopping to let someone in.

That looked like a real bad crash and could have been a lot worse. Glad you made it through this as good as you did. Where were you running in the left lane when this happened? If you were running in the left track, the driver may have felt there was a gap and tried to jump in. Either way, I think when I am in that situation again, I will try to be as visible to those that may be coming up trying to get in, whether it is from the left or right and try to run in the track closest to the merging traffic. If I had been in your situation, I probably would have been nailed because of my blindness in my right eye.

Again, glad this was nor worse.

RandyA

of those wishing you well and relief that the two of you are okay. Everytime something like this happens, I am amazed (not surprised, but amazed) at the number of folks offering their well wishes and asking what can they do to help (to wit; Don suggesting he pick you guys up and offering their abode for your recovery)...just a wonderful site to be a part of!