IGNORED

Laid 'er down - afternoon in the hospital!

Guest Shep

Well, I survived "dead man's curve" but not without laying her down!

The road was full of twisties. The curve was on a hill and I couldn't see beyond the crest, so I swung a little too wide in case there was an oncoming car. After the hill, I couldn't bring it back around and started heading for the soft shoulder of the road. I laid it down to keep from going over the side.

I am mostly just banged up - knee, elbow, ribs etc. The wosrt part is that I hurt my wife :( She has banged up ribs, broke her pinky finger on the the left hand (may have to have surgery - will know after followup).

The plus side of this is that we hobbled into our own home last night and we are alive! Praise God for that. Both of our full-faced helmets did exactly what they were supposed to do, but they are trashed. My leather jacket is worn through on the left elbow - to match my beautiful gouges :biker:. My wife's gloves are trashed and bloodied and last but not least: the bike.

I really don't know - they surrounded us with paramedics so we couldn't see much and towed the bike to "Roys". We were way down in southern Arizona. So now I have to figure out how to get my bike back home to phoenix. I do know that the left side is pretty much trashed - crash bar bent back against the shifter etc...

Any ideas on how you guys get your bike back home - would be appreciated. We didn't realize that we didn't have towing until we called. :innocent:

Thanks for listening folks. (Wear your lids :smile5: )

Shep

Oh yeah - the off duty paramedic that showed up first said that the county knows that this stretch of road is graded wrong, and it is scheduled to be fixed - just not yet. They have accidents on this road all the time - and often they are fatal. So again, I am grateful that my wife and I are home...

So sorry Shep Hope the wifes finger is okay. Check your insurance because there should be a towing or hauling provision tp get the bike home. Most flat beads can get it home. or rent a truck yourself and strap it in the back. A small moving truck has a ramp and can strap a bike into it with tie downs. Good luck in getting it home.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope you and the wife recover quickly! As far as the bike, you could rent a small enclosed U-haul trailer. Had a friend of mine buy 2 bikes in Atlanta and couldn't get both of them home so he rented a U-haul trailer. He didn't have to return the trailer to the orginal renting location. He rented it one way and returned it to his local U-haul.

Shep and WIfe:

Truely sorry to hear about your mishap - but THANK GOD you two are ok!! Hoping and praying your total recoverys come quickly!!

I agree with using U-Haul.. THey are cheap!! ANother thought on hauling,, if you have to lay the bike down on what ever trailer you get - go to a store that sells beds and pick up couple queen size mattresses - lay the bike down on them and your good to go!! I have hauled several bikes cross country like this and it works GREAT!!!!!!

'Puc

Shep, glad to see you two are okay, and our thoughts and prayers are with you both for a speedy recovery. 19 years ago on New Years I was a bad wreck in a cage hitting the cement divider wall on the highway and flipping end for end several times. They found me 8 hours later with a whole lot of broken bones, so from experience take your time healing and don't try to do to much. Good Luck and get back on and ride. Later-

Hey Shep,

Glad to hear you and your wife are OK! As bad as it seems, your scoot can be repaired/replaced! Don't fret, take time to heal and all will be well soon. Boy, some guys will do ANYTHING to get a few days off of work!:sign just kidding:

Prayers sent, get well soon,

Earl and Jean

sorry about the accident. may you two heal quick and well. had one of those myself couple of years ago. it sure feels good to come out of such accidents alive. recovered and am riding again. just take it easy during the healing process and don't try to rush into riding again.:draming:

Take your time and heal up right, I know too well about laying a bike down

:headache: I'll second the Uhaul you could even get an enclosed truck one and put it in there. Wish I was closer as I have a trailer that we could get it with. Let us know what you need and we'll try to get something working.

Well, I survived "dead man's curve" but not without laying her down!

Sorry to hear you experienced this but I'm glad that you and the wife were able to walk/limp away with no real serious injury!!!

In October I went back to the scene of my July-08 crash. Once I got there I quickly realized that the grade of the Exit was such that I was probably going 20mph faster than I should have! Obviously the road engineers did NOT take MC's into mind when they designed the On/Off ramps on the Interstate system!! Be careful out there folks.....better to err on the side of caution!!

Boomer.....Who does not trust any on/off Interstate ramp.

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Take your time and heal fully and quickly. Ribs are a real "pain" have had a few myself over the years. As have been stated already U-Haul is the way to go. Pick one up where your bike is and return it in your hometown. Be extra careful with the insurance company, they are a bear to work with.

Chuckles

I am sorry to hear about the accident. I pray that you and your wife heal fast and recover back to normal. Keep close contact with your insurance and they might suggest for a repair first and then tow it back to your residence.

Regards.

It's a sad club to be in, but I am extremely glad to hear that you two are going to be ok. As others said, keep up with the Ins company on everything. God bless and take time to heal! Maybe that's why we have winter in Ohio--no riding for about 4 months!

mark

Ditto to everyone else's comments. Not a great way to start out the new year, is it??

I know EXACTLY how you feel about hurting your wife! I TOTALLY agree about full face helmets. Felt that way for many many years since a friend went down on a freshly oiled road and he showed me his skid lid with one side half peeled off. He remembers watching it peel as he slid down the road. Clould have been his face...