IGNORED

Have you ever had thoughts of hanging it up on riding?

Eck

I'm having thoughts of what to do and not sure if I want to throw in the towel on riding or just stop riding for a little while in hopes the feeling comes back...

I have been blessed over the years when it comes to riding. Seen thousands of miles of beautiful scenery, lakes, mountains, streams, bridges, barns, wild life and I met so many people I forgot most all their names. I have lived through two major motorcycle accidents and I'm still able to walk, talk and ride. What more can anyone ask for? Should I keep pushing my luck?

I just got back from a 9 day tour. My best friend and I cut our trip short due to fatigue and loss of interest to continue on. Sounds weird I guess, but all the things we were seeing began to blend together. The mountains all looked the same, the rivers, streams, farms, valleys, even the skies all seemed to become the same. Even the curves all seemed to be identical no matter where we rode. Nothing was realy the same but yet everything appeared like we were going nowhere. I started having deep thoughts as to why should I continue riding. My riding buddy felt the same as I did. We discussed continuing our tour rather deeply and how we both felt about riding in the coming future years. Our excitement of riding diminished. We had no eagerness of tomorrows ride, or the days ride after that.

He and I both decided to go home the next morning. I was not upset with him as he was not upset with me. We just both got tired of riding and had enough.

So, has that ever happened to any of you? What happened to us? I have no idea.

I decided to just stop riding for a little while and see what happens. Maybe the excitement of riding will come back. I have never lost it once in all the years I have been riding so that is why this feeling is new to me. I have never felt like this before. :confused24:

on long away from home jobs, I want to ride as soon as I get home, but when I do get home, I'm not even interested in leaving the house. so far the bike has sat in the garage for 8 weeks. ( I just don't feel like it )

on the 2014 Galena ride home, I was itching to be home on the last day, 16 days on the road

Ever since the crash in GA and I need the plate taken out of my shoulder I cannot ride long and I find that I have more pleasure taking the motor home out with the dogs than riding in pain, I am seriously thinking of selling the bike.

Add my name to the list too....may very well give up riding end of this season. Just not the same any more. Wonder if its got anything to do with my wife's passing away, or whether turning 71 has anything to do with it? May be, a combination of both.:15_8_211[1]:At my age, one is more prone to get into an accident, cause of slow reflexes, vision problems, lack of strength, etc from ageing. So i figure why take a chance and be a burden to Son and his family....god forbid.

Edited by chabicheka

I gave up owning a bike for 10 years and was happy with the decision, however I put more miles on my brothers and friends bikes than they did during that time. Had a M&E with several rides and one of the members summed it up real well, they liked the rides but really enjoyed the socializing. So whether you keep riding or not don't become a stranger.

I've had occasions when I just didn't feel like getting out on the road so I just didn't.

I really enjoy doing very long rides to just about anywhere but, riding around my area at times seems to get old quicker.

Maybe because its the same roads over and over again but, I'm not by any stretch ready to stop riding so on and out I go every chance I get.

You have to do what feels right for you Eck and if and when the feeling to ride again hits you go for it and, Ride Safe.

One of my ridin' buddies just told me he was done. He says he's gonna buy a 'Vette, and might show up with it at the destination when the rest of us go riding.

I told him he was a big fat wussy. For me, it's not just about the riding, but I enjoy the destination as well,....especially if it's as simple as sitting around a campfire with friends and a cooler of beer.

I don't get to ride nearly as much as I'd like to, but fortunately the wife likes it, so I make an effort even when I've a bunch of other things I should be doing.

I probably only rack up a few thousand miles a year, but I can think of nothing that gives me the same feeling of freedom that I get while riding.

I look forward to retirement as the time when I'll be able to ride as much as I'd like to. I've never done a coast to coast trip, but it's on the bucket list.

You also meet some of the nicest, most interesting people when you ride.

Maybe I'll lose the desire some day, but not in the foreseeable future.:dancefool:

Sometimes you just need a new riding partner that's not too young and wants to see what you've seen and feel what you've felt. maybe the old partner will want to rejoin riding to see the thrill of the young ones face and feel why you rode in the first place.

Eck, I too sometimes have that feeling, for the time since hosting Vogel, I did not ride the Dragon, I wasn't prepared for it like I usually am, I had not ridden much prior to the event so when we got there I was tired and sore and just sat there with a couple of others while everyone else rode the Dragon. Well today I took out my new to me 87 Royale for a short spin after cleaning it up and fixing a few things that needed fixing. Let me tell you, I enjoyed being on two wheels so much that I cant wait to go on another ride, even longer, in fact I was thinking about trying to get together with you for lunch. I have plans on selling it but I am on the fence about it now, but if I do, I will be buying my old 83 back from Jamie, because he is giving up 2 wheels in favor of three. I cant make up my mind, I love the 83, but I really enjoy the 87 also. Decisions, Decisions.

I have been thinking about this as well. I'm not quite 50, and I still like to ride. My problem is that my wife doesn't. I can do all the day rides I want and they are fun. But I feel guilty about going on extended rides. She comes out to Sturgis and stays for the weekend. I stay for seven to 10 days. Also, all my friends are couples who ride together. Sometimes I feel like a 3rd wheel around them with my wife not being a part of it. Sometimes I think a nice old muscle car would be fun. The wife and I could go for a ride together whenever we want. Unfortunately my problem isn't the riding itself, its all the circumstances that accompany it......

I went for a ride for the first time this year, today. I upgraded the forks and rotors to MKII, R6 calipers, and SS lines, along with new head bearings and a real thick brace. I could have had the bike finished months ago, but I just could not stay focused on it. These last few days I have had just little things to put together and it seems like I just had to make myself get going.

When I did take the bike out, I was very pleased with the changes I could feel and the bike did feel a lot more stable and solid. The brakes felt good and I tried a couple quick stops and it was all I could do to hold on.

I do want to say that I did enjoy the 20 mile ride, but I have to also say that my comfort level was a long way from what I wanted it to be. Not just the physical comfort, but the amount of anxiety of being on the bike with traffic and road conditions was a lot. My bike has never felt bigger and heavier to me before. I felt very awkward when stopping or just manhandling the bike. What was also a disconcerting feeling was the thought of having Linda on the back. At this point, I need to have a lot better feeling about my comfort level before I ask her to join me.

I think for me, it is not just my feeling of having lesser strength, or riding with vision in one eye, or my reflexes, but since getting the two Miatas, I have really enjoyed them. They are both a hoot to drive, especially on some of these mountain roads we have around here. It's like being a kid and getting off a bicycle and getting in a go cart.

Eck, I can sure understand your feelings about riding. I have put about 150,000 miles on this 1st gen and it has always been a part of who I was. I have had some really close calls and the only time I have ever been hurt was a tip over pulling out up a hill in a gas station and I stalled the bike. I landed on my chest with my arm under my rib cage and I suffered with it for months. It sure made me think about how easily a moving crash could change Linda's and my life. Yes, the little Miatas also make you feel somewhat vulnerable, especially when you are beside a jacked up truck, but they also handle great.

Randy

My wife used to love to ride with me. Once I went through the big D, the riding alone was not as much fun. 20 years went by before I got another bike. My current gal is deathly afraid to get on a bike, she had a very bad experience the last time, back in high school. I had her convinced to give it a try this summer, then my medical issues kicked me off the bike. Poor thing, still has last years gas in it.

Point is, sometimes you just need to take a break from things.

That happened to me many many years ago when the kids were to little to ride and the wife was just to busy.. Got bored with traveling alone and found most of my need for motorcycling met by racing dirt bikes.. Later when the oldest kids got close to double digits is when I bought our first 1st Gen.. Found an amazing connection building thing happening between the kids and I as we traveled (one at a time of course) cross country on the bikes - never got bored.. Kids grew up, walked into their own dreams and Tip and I picked up Tweeks, #5 1st Gen and, because we both LOVE meeting new folks, camping, touring and are bestest of friends - have managed to pretty much wear Tweeks out too..

Now, with all this medical stuff going on plus the fact of me getting older and slowing down in my reflexes - I actually find Tip and I discussing the very question that you propose here @Eck..

For us I think the solution may very well come in the form of a soft top/removable door CJ5 type of Jeep with a small trailer (cant even believe I typed that word).. Plan being to go back over some of those mountain two tracks that we have come to love and be able to actually answer the longing question of exactly what is around some of those corners and over those hills that 2 people on a packed down 1st Gen could not explore:think:.

That said, I think each one of has to be honest with ourselves about what really makes us happy and fulfilled. All while understanding that our days are truly numbered and that it is important to not waste time in fear of change but to accept it and boldly go forward seeking a fulfilled life. :guitarist 2:

As per a recent thread of mine...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?108430-Time-to-Switch-Gears-Selling-the-Bike!

I'm sorta at that stage now. I want to cut back on riding and spend more time doing other, "relaxing" things so, we're selling the Victory, buying an older 5th wheel trailer, couple kayaks, and an older motorcycle (not totally sure what just yet but looking at older Wings). I expect this to all come together early spring.

Like you and others elude to, I'm just getting tired of riding all the time ... plus my finger and thumb on my right hand get extremely sore after a few hours of twistin and I feel fatigued from eye strain after several hours. Gettin old is the issue but really, riding has been my number one passion most of my adult life but now it's time to move on.

Eck,

this is something we all go through, when you do something so much it becomes like a job and can lose it's luster. In anything I have ever done I've always said when it's not fun any more or I don't enjoy it I will find something else to do. I hunted & fished religiously most of my life, BUT I quit both and haven't looked back, on on a cool autumn night I can almost hear a coon dog treed or on a pretty warm spring day I can almost feel a fish on the end of a line, but that is as close as I come. I quit riding for 26 yrs and never missed it, but one night I decided I wanted a bike and I haven't looked back, I've owned 4 bikes well one is my wife's Spyder but I have put 92,000 miles on 3 bikes in 4.5 yrs..a honda shadow 1100 (33,000 miles) and 05 midnight venture (44,000) and the 2010 venture (15,000) I ride now. I have rambled on to say this, follow your heart. As Clint Eastwood said " a man has to know his limitations" maybe you have reached your limit. Maybe you are just bored with the style of riding, I know a lot of guys have gone back to their first roots of trail riding....Anyway I hope you find "your groove" and as others have said even if you quit don't be a stranger here...

Edited by midnightrider1300

Add my name to the list too....may very well give up riding end of this season. Just not the same any more. Wonder if its got anything to do with my wife's passing away, or whether turning 71 has anything to do with it? May be, a combination of both.:15_8_211[1]:At my age, one is more prone to get into an accident, cause of slow reflexes, vision problems, lack of strength, etc from ageing. So i figure why take a chance and be a burden to Son and his family....god forbid.

You have said much and are wise beyond your 71 years.

I am sorry to hear about your wife.

Like all activities, there comes a time when you just know it's time to hang it up. I've always felt when the pastime I was heavily involved with became to much for me to handle, it was time to quit. Had a boat on Lake Michigan for 18 years and finally tired of cleaning and maintaining it. Had a motorhome for 10 years and finally got tired of the cost and mtce. required. Fortunately, I still love riding a bike and the recent trike kit I added has extended that pastime for the foreseeable future. :happy34:

I understand how you feel Eck. I get bored with just riding. A few years back I think I said that a particular long ride was going to be my last hurrah.... That was about 4 or 5 hurrah's ago. I still enjoy riding around a specific area, but getting there is a PITA. Going across Nevada for the 100th time is torture. So I trailer to where I'm going. A/C's on, SiriusXM is supplying the sounds, and I'm not getting beat up over some boring stretch of real estate, and I'm fresher when I get there. As we get older we just loose stamina. 600 mile days are a thing of the past. 250's are still do-able. I just put together a trike which will be a change, but it's still going to be trailered. Maybe just a change in what you're riding might change your thoughts.

I'm with Condor on this. I'm bored with the same old roads in the local area and having to ride hundreds of miles over the same old roads to get to a new destination is getting old. So I think our next long haul trip we will trailer the trike to a central location and do day rides. We want to spend more time stopping to smell the roses and a little less time riding.

I thought about it hard after my first accident years ago when I was run off the road. For 6 months I refused to get on a bike. One day I hopped back on and haven't stopped yet. I am still fairly young at 38 so I figure I have lots of time left to ride.

Now I was getting bored with the Venture and Tour Deluxe and I finally bought the Vstrom. Small, quick, lightweight. It renewed my riding passion. The ABS also has given me a renewed confidence.

I also have young children that I think about and what they would do if something happened to me riding. So I have thought several times about selling the street bike and buying 2 or 3 dirt bikes for the family to enjoy and for me to be able to continue riding something.

Overall I will always have to have something to ride. Even if I don't get to ride as often as I want, I do enjoy it every chance I get even if it is only commuting to work every day.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but I am still a young buck at 58 (will be 59 next month). But, I don't really take the 6,7,8 day rides like some of you do. I ride to/fro work daily, do weekend rides for charity and an occasional fun day ride or 2 to the mountains. About 12k-15k miles per year.

It did sort of happen to me with bass fishing. Was an avid tournament fisherman for several years. Then arthritis hit and it became painful at times. Hated giving that up, but after a while of not being able to stand on the front of the boat and fish for 10 hours straight, I sort of lost interest.

I may with riding one day, just not today.