IGNORED

Have you ever had thoughts of hanging it up on riding?

Eck

I was thinking today and maybe this is why Harley riders trailer their bike everywhere, they are tired of riding but still want to hang out with their friends.

dang ... and here I thought it was because they didn't want the parts shook off all over the country.... :Laugh:

I bought my first bike when I was 27, a CB350. I rode it about 2k miles in 6 months and sold it. A year or so later, I bought a bigger bike, CB750 that I rode about a year and sold it. I had just bought a house and was trying to clean up my finances. I also had several close calls riding. Went without a bike for about almost 20 years and I have had a bike ever since. I rode very little but I always had a bike. The last few years, I've been more serious about riding that ever but i still have not ever been on a long ride. that is something I intend to remedy at age 71!!!!

I am starting to feel the way you do when it comes to riding around my area. I have been riding all over these roads for over 45yrs and its getting old. I do still really enjoy going on trips though, getting far away from home and exploring new areas. We took off to NY in the pouring rain, something I never do, but I wanted to take the bike and once the weather cleared on friday I was glad we did. We both really enjoyed the trip but we both had more aches and pains then last year. By the time we got home I was thinking I really need to get in better shape if I want to take that cross country trip thats on my bucket list. Dont think I am ready to hang it up just yet, but it isnt fun 100% of the time, like it used to be. You really put alot of miles a year on your bike Eck, maybe its just time to take alittle break.

All the best in whatever you decide, Craig

Eck,

the previous posts all make valid points and in the end, what ever you choice isn't permanent. Since you have the bike, maybe take time away and see about other interests. See how you feel when you witness a bunch of bikes on the road? Maybe you will get the spark back, maybe not. I agree, once it feels like a job, a chore, it isn't fun anymore. I took many years off playing music and studying stick and knife fighting because I HAD TO...keep up, what about this or that. Now I've recently regained that spark while adding things like MC riding, firearm tactical training and taking college classes. Point is, no matter what you decide we all want what's best for you. You're an awesome guy, a great friend and by no means is this end. Perhaps purposely pick a unique destination, close or far. Pick different times and people to ride with to make things more spontaneous or at very least not so vanilla. I at times wonder what if I get into an accident etc. This summer I've BARELY ridden. So in the mean while, I do other things. Don't stress, don't over analyze. The answer is there with time.

PS: to you and other riders, don't ignore your body and it's need to stretch, loosen up and get ready for a ride. Sitting keeps us tight...

Most of us here are old enough and have ridden long enough and far enough that we have nothing to prove to anybody. I went down twice in 2011 and was forced to quit for awhile and that was good. I looked around and decided I wasn't thru riding yet but 2 wheels were not going to work for me anymore. I found a trike rode it for 4 years and sold it this summer to buy a Spyder. That thing is so much fun.My point is sometimes you just have to step back for awhile.Maybe you find you're not through but you have to change direction. Maybe you are through and its just time to move on. Life changes and we change too. Sometimes we get to bring our old friends with us. Take your time ride if you feel like it ,don't if you don't. We are all gonna get to this point sometime. So chin up it'll work out just fine what ever happens

Nearly ran over a full retread from a tractor trailer yesterday evening; I was on 264 East near Zebulon, NC. My left foot rest brushed it at 70 mph. Didn't ride it to work today. I'm 68 and want to be 69. I know we all have those close calls but the older I get the more I enjoy my ride but the more I realize I'm one accident away.

Most of us here are old enough and have ridden long enough and far enough that we have nothing to prove to anybody.

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN PEG:clap2:, the very basis for that old saying "ride your ride" IMHO..

Sometimes it's important to remember we dont have to prove anything to ourselves either:hurts:

Started riding 1966.Never been without a bike since.Last October I took the bike out of the garage and almost dropped it.Got off and told the wife I was finished riding.My diabetes and the bad feet said no more riding.Sold the bike.I enjoyed driving my Porsche but it was getting harder and harder to use the clutch so last Monday I sold the Porsche.I could not be without a converyible so I looked for one with an automatic,I found a great deal on a Mercedes SLK 230,automatic,hardtop convertible so I bought it.It was hard to give up riding but if it's not raining or snowing the top is down and I am satisfied.

I had an accident years ago and it scared my wife pretty bad. She wasn't with me but she lost desire to ride. She worried every time I left the house. I love my wife more than riding so the bike was sold. A couple years later I got another. Time had helped her cope, still didn't want to ride but was ok with me riding. Then our daughter was born and my priorities changed again. Sold the bike and didn't get another for about ten years. I have been riding for the last 15 to 18 years steady now. I ride solo and with no other bikes 99% of the time. I commute to work and take an occasional day ride with a couple friends from work. Once in a while I will take the long way home like I did Tuesday. About 140 miles home that day. Last year I took my longest ride ever to South Carolina with a friend. I loved it and I itch to do more travel on the bike. But it isn't going to happen. My wife who started to ride again when I bought the RSV, soon after developed some health issues that prevent her from enjoying even a short ride. I honestly am ok with her not riding as I worry about hurting her if I just even tip over. She says go if you want to go, but I want to spend time with her more than I want to "go ride". I have a couple antique cars and we really enjoy driving them around. I should probably sell the RSV and invest the money in the cars to make them better/nicer. I am not ready to do that yet. When the time is right to quit, you will know it. I quit hunting 25 years ago and rarely miss it. Usually when I quit doing something it is a sub-concious decision and one day I realize. "Wow I haven't done that for awhile, I guess that is over now". With hunting I was riding my bike in buck season ( a near religious holiday here in PA) when it hit me. Why buy a license to hunt if I would rather ride. Haven't bought one yet. I think about quitting things all the time, but usually when I do quit something it just happens and I think about it later. If that make sense to anyone else, i have no idea.

In 1972 I hit two cars with a Bridgestone 350 GTO. After three months in a full body cast I had an operation on my left leg to rebuild it. While in a cast I rebuilt the bike. When the cast came off and I learnt how to walk again I wanted to ride but was too afraid of another injury so I sold it to my brother. The next year the wife and were visiting my brother and she wanted to go for a ride, but only with me. That started the urge to ride more so when we moved to MD. I bought another bike then two others. When our sons were born I gave up riding until 2005 when I got the Venture from my oldest brother. Will I quite again? Not anytime soon.

From a passenger point of view, I think of what it will be like when we no longer ride our bike. It makes me sad to think about it. I know I will have to accept it, when Ron says he no longer wants to ride. We started riding when we were first married. We gave it up when we had 3 children. In 2002, we bought our RSV. It has given us so much fun and introduced us to so many people we would never have met, if we had never had our bike. Like I said, as a passenger I guess I have to wait to see when Ron no longer wants to ride. I know it has slowed down more in the past years. But I am still always ready to ride any where, any time.

Yama Mamajo_s_bike_007.jpg

I sold my 750 Yamaha in 1989. I was in Phoenix, Az. Just too many close calls. Thought it was time. But now, 26 years later, I purchased an '83 because the desire to ride came back. I'm preparing to fly to Michigan to drive back an '88 to New Mexico. It will be my longest trip yet. Looking forward to it. So, you just never know Eck. Do what brings peace to your soul. Live in the moment and the future will take care of itself.

Chaplain Dusty :bagpipes-emoticon:

I gave it up for a while when my wife passed away on 8-30-10,yep 5 years ago tomorrow,have not put many miles in since buying another bike in January.But the one's I did,meant so much.i wanted a bike when I was in grade school,had the most fun of my life riding trails or just hanging out with my riding buddies.I dread the day when I know I could never ever ride again.After 5 neck spinal fusions I may be nut's to still go on.I developed a drinking problem after my wife died,in V.A. re-hab they told me to get a hobby,best advice ever.Just polishing chrome or wiping dust has worked wonders for me.Nothing smells better than your garage after returning from a ride.Well,maybe Castrol bean oil in a two stroke if anyone remembers that wonderful smell.Since June of 1969 my life has been changed forever.I wish I could give back what riding has given me,nothing much compares.Enjoy as long as you can,I guess when it is not fun anymore there is no reason to carry on.I just don't want that day to come for me.GOD Bless,whatever you decide is right.

This got me thinking of my riding history,brought back some funny memories.Like using part of my Mom's vacuum cleaner,a metal part as a straight pipe on my 69 Honda 70.I made a lot of noise,sure thought I was cool.Or in 72 when bell bottoms were the rage and getting my leg hung up on my DT-2 kick starter and falling at a red light.Those were fun times,when a 450 was a "big" bike.A 750 Four Honda was beyond our belief.When a Mach III Kawasaki 500 was downright scary,(it was)plus it had electronic ignition,wow.Tried moto-cross,got one 3rd place trophy,means the world to me still.Best memories a guy could ask for.Seems impossible that it started before we landed on the moon.One sad thing,back in those day's Harley was just another bike,it is sad how it has become a crazy war in the last 20 years.We have all had some crackpot make some stupid remark because we rode an "import" it is just nut's to be that way,it help's nobody.I would consider a Harley,never rode one,but now on my income now on disability I could not afford the upkeep on one.Maybe I will win the lottery and try one out.Just can not think of a bad memory of any bike.