IGNORED

To Toe Heel or not to toe heel that is the queston

Kc9ojn

I bout my 88 with floor boards and toe heel kit. I like the floor boards but I am not sure about the shifter and Brake on the G1. I have heard some good and bad as well. The previous owner broke the pass through on the left cover and welded it. He claims he was slamming gears when I broke. He had it welded and then I think he parked the bike, I managed to brake it again when I was fixing the starter clutch and did not put the shifter in the up position, I did not jam it but maybe twice that way but it could have been enough. I put the cover off the parts bike on and sealed things up. As the parts bike has the old school stuff I have my choice of floor boards and heel toe or not. So give me your 2 cents.:think:

as Always

Thanks

My rig is now set up for the sidecar only. The bike is in a vertical position at all times; I do not have to worry about putting my feet down and the heel/toe shifter is nice. When I rode without the car I preferred the simplicity of the conventional shifter. If I had more than one rig on the road I would go with a conventional shifter on all of them. It is too hard for me to adjust to the different styles interchangeably. I can remember, more than a few years back, when there was a lot of attention given to the marks that a shifter made on the toe of your left boot. There were leather pieces, to strap to your shoe, for protection from scuffing and the heel/toe shifter was touted as the ultimate solution. I could never become accustomed to lifting my heel to up-shift, much simpler to just lift the toe and live with the scuffs.

When I removed my left side cover, to do the starter clutch and stator upgrades, I found the shifter pivot bushing area to have been previously welded. The realignment of the bore was less than accurate and had caused some shifting issues. The repaired cover has been replaced with a good used unit and now works much better. Given what I have seen of the casting configuration in the shifter pivot area, a good weld repair should be stronger than the original design. The pivot bushing alignment is obviously important and additional strength could be added with careful welding application. :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

I went on a Victory test rid day last week. The shifter was one of the first things I botched up. I was accelerating up out of a corner and put my heel down and... nothing. OOPS Yea I would really miss my heel/toe, I'm spoiled now.

There is a learning curve but after a few days using it you won't want just a toe shifter. I actually started using mine because I got a new pair of boots and didn't want to mess up the toe shifting up, now when I ride the sportster I have to remember no heel shifter after I take off that is. :think:

When I first got the Venture I did not like the heal shifter. Now I would not be without it.

Mike

There is a learning curve but after a few days using it you won't want just a toe shifter.

When I got my bike I did not use the heel to shift but after I got use to it I would not be without it.

Got to agree.

I never use the heal and am about to hack it off as I hit it often putting my foot down and my pants get caught on it. It hasn't caused a fall yet, but I can see it coming. I bought a used replacement to amputate.

Opinions aside, it all depends on what size boot you're trying to get between the pads, or pegs if you prefer .. The first gens are at most 9" apart, and for someone who wears a smaller size I guess it should work fine if that's what you want. For someone with a larger foot, it ain't gonna happen. The second gen H/T has a span of 13", so it will fit more folks, but even then for a few of the biggies it still gives problems. The answer, to be comfortable, is a toe peg shifter. That way the rider can still us the floorboards...

• 4 months later...

I have a Heel and Tow system i took from my 86 Venture.Four washers and spacers came off and I really am not sure where they go.The spacers are chrome.Does anyone have an idea where they go or a diagram. I think these are Ventureline units.Mississauga-20150325-02519.jpg

I remember a while back there was a set of floorboards and heel toe shifter making the rounds, everyone that tried them on a 1st gen went back to pegs and toe, and sent them on the the next person that thought they would like it.

All of the replies to this thread are from 2nd gen owners, I have never heard of a 2nd gener that did not prefer the heel toe on that bike.

Although I have never tried a set yet, it just does not look like it would work for me on my 1st gen.

Just saying, look close at what bike your opinions are coming from. 1st and 2nd gens are totally different seating positions and bike layout, only the name is similar.

I ride a 1st gen and like the stock arrangement nicely. The only issue I have with stock is my new boots are real thick...so I have to wedge them under...not good.

On the VStar 950 Tourer, I rarely use the heel/toe arrangement. Prefer the toe only. Lifting up my heel to try and "find" the shift is cumbersome for my feets.

Me thinks it's really what you get used to.

All of the replies to this thread are from 2nd gen owners, I have never heard of a 2nd gener that did not prefer the heel toe on that bike.

Just saying, look close at what bike your opinions are coming from. 1st and 2nd gens are totally different seating positions and bike layout, only the name is similar.

OK I'm going to raise my hand and say I prefer the toe/toe set up and ride all three of my 2nd Gens that way. Never could get used to a heal/toe shifter. I guess old habits die hard.... :backinmyday::backinmyday:

I -kinda- like my heal shifter but I cannot shift as "slickly" or "quietly" with it as when I use my toe shifter. On acceleration runs I never use the heal shifter as I am better at toe shifting. Also, I am thinking of hacking off the heal end of the shifter to give my size 12 left foot (yes the right one is the same size) more room to move around.

as Always

Thanks

OK I'm going to raise my hand and say I prefer the toe/toe set up and ride all three of my 2nd Gens that way. Never could get used to a heal/toe shifter. I guess old habits die hard.... :backinmyday::backinmyday:

I agree with Condor. I way prefer the toe shifter. I've tried several times to use the heel shifter for a day ride or so, and I can't get used to it. My shifting is certainly smoother using the toe. As a matter of fact, I've been kinda surprised to see so many of you with a passion for heel shifting. Maybe I'm missing something.