• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with Rose.

The vent tube is out. It's been in and out several times. They hope it'll stay out this time. His color is good and he looks pretty much back to normal on the outside. He's keeping his eyes open now - much less pain killer so he's not as loopy.

The Nurse asked him what his first name was, he said Earl, kind of an in-joke. When Rose said "No your full name" he told them Dan Obert. His sense of humor is there and he knows his name, both good signs.

He's been talking his daughter's ear off. In fact he tried to get her to cut him loose from all the hardware so he could get out of there. She told him it might be a little early for that. He didn't remember how he got there. She told him he had a crash on his bike. His response was "Well s**t." So that's pretty much normal too. He's more concerned about his bike than being in the hospital. (Who among us wouldn't...)

He's being moved around. They had folks coming in who are in a lot worse shape so they put him in a less critical area. Yet another good sign. His room number is now 3220, though that'll probably change several times while he's there. Don't worry too much about the room numbers, cards will reach him. (Same address I posted up-thread.)

Rose is still camped out in fifth floor waiting. She's in the same spot Irene was in when I was there so they both know the area well. She's telling folks to quit bringing food. She's stocked up. She insists that she really doesn't need anything.

They've been heavily involved with the schools in the area over the years. Rose works for the school system. The schools have had fund-raisers. Dan's situation has been mentioned at every sporting event. They are getting a lot of help from their community to go along with the thoughts and prayers of their family here.

All in all, it's still baby steps but they seem to be largely forward.

Steve,

Thanks to you and Irene for keeping us updated, it's great news hearing that he is progressing. We are all looking forward to seeing him back home where he belongs :thumbsup2:

While I'd rather it wasn't necessary (just as in Ponch's case), we're more than happy to help out. Someone I know keeps setting a good example...

The only one I know is Beth and her and her husband have been up there and talked to her. I gave Beth the info on him and were he was so they went to see him. I don't have a clue on the other girl sorry.

That was just the only thing I could think of. In a way it's not a bad thing that she's unknown. An anonymous Good Samaritan raises everyone up a little. One never knows when one might be interacting with that person.

Hey Dan sitting here in the middle of the night thinking of you. I know you will be reading this sooner or later. Not much difference in night & day while you are in that place. They tell you that you need to rest and then wake you up!!! You will get some rest when you get home. Now hurry up and get out of there!!

Have not been on the site in a while, but stopped back in today to check and saw the post about Dan...When i first joined this group and had some tranny and clutch trouble Dan was a hero...He was so helpful and took the time to call and talk me thru issues i had with my bike..What a great guy..I nominated him for a VR award..

I'm not the religious type that many on here are, but certainly will be keeping Dan and his family in my thought often..Men like Dan are the good ones..

I talked to Rose this morning and she said Dan is taking baby steps but getting better. I guess he has some kind of infection and she is only letting the family see him so it doesn't spread or someone else get it. She said he has lost some weight and I'm sure and the poor guys is skinny as can be anyway. I guess the school she works for and the community has started some fund raisers for them since both are not working at this time. I didn't think to ask what all they were but I am going to try to get some info to pass along to everyone here. I told her to please call if they need anything and if I can't do it I am sure the great people here will do what they can to help. She did ask for the prayers to keep coming!! :fingers-crossed-emo

I just spoke with Rose. She had her phone on today. Naturally the hospital is a partial no-phone zone, so it can be hard to get through. Dano's finally doing well enough for her to have gone home to try and sleep for the last two nights. The key word there is try.

As Waterbug said, Dano's not getting non-family visitors. He's also been moved to a different part of the hospital. Right now he's in room B452. No telling how long he'll be there, but getting moved away from the critical area is a good sign.

Dano's getting well enough to be noticing discomfort. He's been pulling his feeding tube out. They're talking about using a different type. The nurses see this as a problem, but I see it as a sign of progress.

He can't sit up by himself, much less get up and walk, but he walked a short distance with a therapist's help yesterday. Another very good sign.

All in all he's making good progress at healing up. They'll meet with a Doctor in the next couple of days to discuss the timeline for getting him out of there, what insurance will cover (apparently they don't have much), and his overall progress.