IGNORED

Turning left on a red when the light won't change.

juggler

This has happened to most of us. It happened last night again. I sat in a left turn lane for two full cycles of the lights and I never got the green arrow. So after the second time of not getting the green arrow I waited until it was safe to proceed and went through on the red. Sure as heck some cop was watching and pulled me over.

He gets out and says "Do you know why I stopped ya?". I said I do know, but I did wait for two cycles of the lights and since they never gave me the green I waited until it was safe to proceed through the intersection as required by MN state law. His response was that MN does not have a law that allows that, but since he also rides we knows why I went through the light and didn't write me a ticket. He did run my name and plates to make sure I was a nice guy.

So when we got home my wonderful wife had to look up the law since I was sure that two years ago MN added a provision for this.

Here is what she found.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=153

Sec. 42. Minnesota Statutes 2000, section 169.06, is amended by adding a subdivision to read: Subd. 9. [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE RELATING TO UNCHANGING TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL.]

(a) A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

-----------------------------------------------

So, they didn't make it truly legal, but they did write into law that it is excusable under the proper conditions.

What is the law on this in your state?

Edited by juggler

I believe there is also a federal law that states a person may proceed thru a traffic signal when it is safe to do so if the light malfunctions. Not detecting a bike is a malfunction. Last time I checked feds have more power than the state. Especially when it comes to signals. And you did let it go thru all its cycles twice. Same thing happend to me and a motor unit followed me into a parking and talked to me for a second. Suggested I should go ahead and go straight up to the next intersetion and make a u turn , But did not give me a ticket either. AND they still have not fixed that light after 3 years.

This is interesting because I've done this a few times too after waiting through 2 or more lights. Haven't been pulled over though. Being that we travel on the bike alot in many states, I guess the best thing to do rather than learn all the state laws is to go straight through and then turn around and do a right turn? Really don't want to run afowl of the local law enforcement far away from home.

Here is what she found.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=153

I turned left during a red light this morning and I have to do this every morning...

The light just doesnt work when on my bike..

If I were you, I would print this out and keep it on the bike at all times.......it may come in handy some day soon...

I am, even though it doesnt pertain to Alabama Law...

I picked up something similar at the local BMW dealership....hey it's OK to look.... The thing used a zip-tie and the installation instructions said to put it on the lowest bart of the frame. I stuck mine on my centerstand and so far haven't had to wait yet. On the way over to the dealer I ran into 2 lights that didn't want to cooperate.

I picked up something similar at the local BMW dealership....hey it's OK to look.... The thing used a zip-tie and the installation instructions said to put it on the lowest bart of the frame. I stuck mine on my centerstand and so far haven't had to wait yet. On the way over to the dealer I ran into 2 lights that didn't want to cooperate.
Been there, done this a dozen times, and finally got a magnet attached to the bottom of the bike, and it seems to do the job. Every once and a while, I don't see any lines in the street, which makes me think theres no street sensor, but a motion sensor mounted on the light across the street that triggers the light to change. Sometimes, it doesn't work, and I do proceed to go against the light. You can always carry a gun, and just shoot out the light if it doesn't change, and they can't give you a ticket if someone shot the light out, lol...........unless they caught you doing it, lol.:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I guess the best thing to do rather than learn all the state laws is to go straight through and then turn around and do a right turn? quote]

That's what we who live near the greater Detroit area call a "Michigan Left" Another method used in the Detroit area is to turn right drive 1/2 a block and make a U turn through the boulevard.

Found this doing a search. Don't think I'm gonna wait 15 minutes for a light to change. And the first one is kinda funny. On second thought about half of it is funny

How To Trip a Traffic Light With a Motorcycle

From Walter Kern,

Your Guide to Motorcycles.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Every motorcyclist has pulled up to a red traffic light and waited to get the bike to trip a sensor to activate a left-turn or green traffic light. Often they just do not trip. Here are some things to try.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: varies

Here's How:

1. Get off your bike and push the "walk" button if it is safe.
  2. Sometimes you may just have to look both ways and run the light. In some places it's OK to "proceed with caution" after 15 minutes, in some places after 2 cycles. You need to know what the law is in your area.
  3. If you fail to trigger the switch, wait at least one more cycle and then proceed when it is safe.
  4. Sometimes it helps to kill the engine and restart it just to get the magnetic fields going over the tripping device. Put yourself right over the detector in the pavement. Give the bike a couple of good revs.zSB(3,3)
  5. Turn right and then do a "U" turn when you can.
  6. Threaten legal action. Start by calling the street department and complaining. Every week re-check the light. If you get no action, send them a nice professional letter threatening them with a lawsuit.
  7. As you approach the intersection, there are lines cut into the pavement where the sensor was put in. The sensor pad is octagonal or square. Put the most metal over the intersection of two sides.
  8. Another trick is to put out your kickstand. If you can get the kickstand out, there is more of a metal area to detect. Don't forget to retract your kickstand when the light finally changes.
  9. Rig your bike with an electro-magnet under the frame. This is wired into the brake lamp circuit and induces enough of a field to trip most lights.
  10. Consider the purchase of a device that will trip the light for you. Two such products are the Green Light Trigger and the Red Light Changer.
  11. A new trend is the introduction of special motorcycle boxes that show you where to stop your bike to trip the light. The front-most "box" has additional diagonal lines, with a bike icon painted in the box.
  12. Roll forwards and back in an effort to trip the sensors.
  13. If you are waiting for a left-turn signal light to change, you can always proceed through the intersection on green and make three successive right-hand turns. This only works with regular city blocks.
  14. Some states have sensors in the lights that can detect flashing lights of police cars and ambulances, and will quickly change the light. You might try flashing your lights to see if that will trip it.

• 2 years later...

OK, this is an old thread.

But then I am old to, but new to riding.

I have looked up the Wisconsin law on this and you must wait 45 seconds before proceeding thru the red light.

I just bought a powerful magnet to stick on the bottom of the bike to help trip the lights.

There is one light in particular that is vehicle triggered to cross a major highway. You can easily wait 10-15 minutes to catch a break in traffic to get through, or make a right and go a half mile to a spot to turn around.

I hope that this will trigger that light.

This magnet is rated with 182 lbs of pull so I do not think I will even need a cable tie to hold it on the bike like the commercial ones do.

As a side benefit, maybe it will pick up that next nail that is destined for my back tire.

It was cheap enough to be worth a try.

I'll post back how or if it works.

If I am not mistaken, I believe in Alabama, there is a bill in Legislation as we speak (or type!!) to change or ammend the current law to allow for motorcyclists to proceed through a red light. But knowing the Alabama Legislature, they will add so much rhetoric and B.S., that when all is said and done and the dust settles...it will STILL be illegal for motorcyclists to proceed on red.

We have so many to the intersections here on the newer highways with the sensors that it will make ya gring your teeth. They simply do not pick up on a bike. Even these overgrown scoots we ride. The only thing that I have found that will actually trip one in the line up on the roadbed sensor and drop the side stand and lean on it. The light will change in the next cycle. A riding buddy had the Green light trigger on his and it does nothing.

Most intersection have those diamond shaped cuts in the road way. Those are the magnetic trips for the lights. I wear steel toed cowboy boots 90% of the time when I ride. I stop and if light does not change I put my toe over the diamond cut in the road and with in 15 seconds it trips the light. Has worked 99% of the time so far!

Bryan

I always pull my scoot up to the light over the left hand rear and front corner of the sensor. Also try to "run the line" along that side. These sensors do not send out a constant signal, they actually sweep each detector in pulses, so if you miss the sweep, you could be sitting! Works 95% of the time.

Dan

This is what Tennessee Law states...

(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle.

Here are some excerpts from the article

The full story is here

By Ron Barnett, USA TODAY

Sometimes, red means go.

Motorcyclists in a growing number of states are being allowed to go through red lights when sensors aren't able to detect they are there.

In May, South Carolina became the seventh state to give motorcyclists license to proceed with caution after stopping when the device that causes the light to change from red to green doesn't activate, according to Imre Szauter, government affairs manager for the American Motorcyclist Association.

North Carolina passed a similar law in 2007. Wisconsin (2006), Idaho (2006) Arkansas (2005), Tennessee (2003) and Minnesota (2002), all have passed laws the past six years, Szauter said. Bills have been introduced for the same purpose in Georgia, Missouri and Oklahoma, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures and the legislative websites for those states.

The Federal Highway Administration says such laws raise safety concerns, but biker groups that have lobbied for the change say they are common sense.

Doug Hecox, a spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration, said the states should try to find a technical solution to the problem."We don't necessarily think that empowering motorists to make up their own rules of the road is the safest or best approach," he said.

The traffic lights in question are controlled by devices buried under the road that operate similar to metal detectors, according to Hecox. Their sensitivity can be set to detect motorcycles, but the proper balance is difficult to adjust, he said.

California has chosen a technological solution. A law adopted last year requires that when new traffic-activated signals are installed, they be capable of detecting motorcycles and bicycles.