IGNORED

Turning left on a red when the light won't change.

juggler

I guess the best thing to do rather than learn all the state laws is to go straight through and then turn around and do a right turn? quote]

That's what we who live near the greater Detroit area call a "Michigan Left" Another method used in the Detroit area is to turn right drive 1/2 a block and make a U turn through the boulevard.

LOL see your learning now aint ya Gary its not hard is it ya just need to go up around and back:thumbsup2:

I have had this happen to me since I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning, there is one light I turn at that doesnt detect my presence. What I do and I cant remember where I read this is, I stop over the location of the sensor, I kill the engine and then restart it, what this does is set up an electro-magnetic field and that is sensed by the sensor, and the light changes for me on the next cycle.......works everytime I do it, so as soon as I am stopped at this light I kill the engine and restart it...........no more waiting for the light or sitting thru several cycles..

Before NC passed the law to make turns on red , I did get one of them dang light trippers . It didn't work so well either .

Well what I did find to work most of the time was to shut off the motor as I sat over the sensor strips . Then start back up the motor . The electro-magnetic energy (I think that's what they call it ) from the starter motor tripped the sensor . It never happened when I was pulling the BEERCART .

BEER30

Part 2 of Article 13 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to motorcycles, is amended by adding a new Code Section 40-6-312.1 to read as follows:

"40-6-312.1.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after waiting for a reasonable period of time for such traffic-control signal to detect such motorcycle, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so."

SECTION 2.

All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed. See: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/hb141.htm

South Carolina has joined six other states

that let motorcyclists, mo-ped drivers and bicyclists run red

lights that don't change within a couple minutes of their stopping.

Gov. Mark Sanford signed the bill into law

It is true that you can now proceed through a "stuck" redlight in SC. However, you must wait a full two minutes without the light changing before you must survey the area and safely proceed through the intersection.

This new law has been a blessing to me, but I'm still waiting to get pulled by the officer who doesn't know about the law yet. Hopefully, if I do get pulled over, the discussion will be civil and cordial.

first of all do they work? A second are they safe for the bike?

I was looking in Lowes today and saw a huge magnet that roofers use to pick up nails on the jobsite. Was wandering what the side effects would be. I'm not a mechanic so I'll put it up to the group for consideration.

Thanks for any info as I had to sit through a red light today four cycles before a cage pulled up behind me and set it of. I tried shutting the bike down, putting down the kickstand and rolling back over the trip wire several times. This is agrevating sometimes.

David :confused::confused07::confused07::starz:

I was looking in Lowes today and saw a huge magnet that roofers use to pick up nails on the jobsite. Was wandering what the side effects would be. I'm not a mechanic so I'll put it up to the group for consideration.

David :confused::confused07::confused07::starz:

No flat rear tires if you ride slow!

Hmmmmm seems I heard the same thing somewhere...........:think:.:think:

image.php?u=79&dateline=1205524280 DragonRider user_online.gif

photo.png

medal-blue.gif medal-blue.gif medal-blue.gif

United%20States.gif

GA.gif

View Photos By: DragonRider

icon14.gif Another solution..............

I have had this happen to me since I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning, there is one light I turn at that doesnt detect my presence. What I do and I cant remember where I read this is, I stop over the location of the sensor, I kill the engine and then restart it, what this does is set up an electro-magnetic field and that is sensed by the sensor, and the light changes for me on the next cycle.......works everytime I do it, so as soon as I am stopped at this light I kill the engine and restart it...........no more waiting for the light or sitting thru several cycles..

Before NC passed the law to make turns on red , I did get one of them dang light trippers . It didn't work so well either .

Well what I did find to work most of the time was to shut off the motor as I sat over the sensor strips . Then start back up the motor . The electro-magnetic energy (I think that's what they call it ) from the starter motor tripped the sensor . It never happened when I was pulling the BEERCART .

BEER30

That is really the bottom line for me too.

I really do not want to put the extra wear and tear of restarting the bike at every red light on lightly traveled roads.

I have had no luck with positioning of the bike with side stand up or down and trying to find the wire in the road.

There are a lot of intersections that have been repaved so you have no idea exactly where the wire is, and the new asphalt moves you another 2 or 3 inches farther away from the sensor wire.

I have received a very powerful magnet that I will be trying out as soon as weather permits. This magnet will pull the picture on a computer monitor or TV from more than 2 feet away. It is rated at 182 pounds of pull. It has warnings that it should not be handled by people with implanted pace makers or defibrillators.

My concerns were about the effects of the magnetic field on the systems of the bike. I will keep it as far away from the stator and starter as I can. I plan to put it on the bottom of the frame or center stand as far back as I can get it.

Does anyone know if there are any sensors back in that area that may be affected by a strong magnetic field???

Does anyone have any idea if this will/should be more effective with the north pole up, down or sideways????

I hope to be able to report back soon that the weather has gotten better and whether this works or not.

You all need a tin foil hat. It trips the sensors and hides your thoughts from aliens and democrats. You did know those are thought detectors in the pavement didnt you? Notice how the lights are always slower when you are in a hurry? Its true, I never make this sort of thing up!

For the motion sensors (actually high tech government x-ray vision cams, so they can see your wife nekkid) you can use a laser pointer to trip them. Just point the red dot at it and the signal will change. Sometimes it turns them all green at once, but something is better than nothing right? You just have to be faster than everyone else so as to not get hit.

If neither of these work, an EMP generator of about 9 gigawatts will just fry every thing electronic within a half mile of your bike.

(I am not insane, just have a terrible sense of humor.....)

The Company I work for on occasion sells / installs the wire loops & Gate arms for parking lots. While browsing their catalog a couple of weeks ago, I noticed MANY references to the Loops are not designed to be used with Pedestrians & Motorcycles.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, if you attach that big magnet to the underside of your trailer hitch, which in most cases (sic) is far away from your engine.

I have a magnet like that. I may attach it below my hitch and try it out at a few sticking lights around here.

Will let y'all know what it does.

I've tried looking into the law in Illinois a few times, and always come up empty handed. I've always done the "wait a couple cycles, and go when clear" and have yet to be stopped. However, I'm sure it's only a matter of time, and then it will just depend on what mood the officer is in.

Also, as far as magnets triggering light sensors, there's a pretty good, albeit a little outdated, discussion about that subject on Snopes.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=16531

Well I finally got to try out my magnet at the intersection that was giving me the worst problem.

All of the times in the past when I wanted to get thru that intersection there was never a cager to be found going my way.

So as Murphy would have it, My first 6 attempts to ride my magnet thru the light, a cager pulled up across the intersection at the same time so I could not tell if It was the cage or me that tripped the light. After many rides around the block I finally managed to get there all alone.

IT WORKED!!!!!

Just like magic the light and left turn arrow tuned green when I pulled up. 5 times in a row.

So I took the magnet back off the bike and tried it again to be sure that they did not just adjust it. No magnet, no green.

I then parked the bike and put the magnet in my sock at 4 inches off the ground and walked up to the light and HA!! I got an immediate green. now granted I do have good iron content in my blood but I don't think it is that high.

I now have the magnet semi permanently mounted to the center stand just above the left pad and all of the traffic lights are behaving.

Me Likey

I then parked the bike and put the magnet in my sock at 4 inches off the ground and walked up to the light and HA!! I got an immediate green. now granted I do have good iron content in my blood but I don't think it is that high.

You guys amaze me. Some of the stuff you come up with. I wonder if the magnetic foot pads would make any difference? I suspect not as they are probably pretty weak. I do have some pretty strong magnets at home and I may have to try this.

RandyA

Free super strong magnets can be found inside any old computer hard drive. Typical 2 of them that are dangerous to get near each other without mounting.

Rip one open, harvest the magnets, stick it to the bike underside.

Hobby lobby also sells some "super strong" magnets as well.

Free super strong magnets can be found inside any old computer hard drive. Typical 2 of them that are dangerous to get near each other without mounting.

Rip one open, harvest the magnets, stick it to the bike underside.

Hobby lobby also sells some "super strong" magnets as well.

This is what I did.

I put both under the engine. They look kinda funny and gather lots of road metal, but I am not convinced they do any good.

craigr

There's a part of the traffic laws concerning lights that don't change. It states that if a traffic light doesn't change within a reasonable amount of time you can consider the light defective. Defective traffic lights are treated as if they were stop signs.

StarQ

Edited by StarQ
typo