IGNORED

GPS on a (cheap) budget

wes0778

Won the Fleabay auction on a Garmin Nuvi 225, for $55.00 bucks. Then bought (now) a waterproof handle bar mount, again from Fleabay, for $17.00 and change.

Not a gazillion dollar Zumo, but.....

Perfect!! I was looking for something like this. Anyone else have the water proof case? Any problems?

Very nice job there! Been wanting one myself for a while and after catching a thread from Eck realized that I didn't have to donate an organ to get one, via fleabay. Wondering if that waterproof handle bar mount will work with a streetpilot c550? Probably not but worth asking!!

You did good there my friend.. looks real nice and should work fine for you..

Hate to say it, but mine was cheaper then yours, but yours I would rather have.....

Now that's funny, I hadn't seen that picture before.

I thought maybe you had Connie reading a paper map on the back hollering "Recalculating" "Recalculating"

BOO

• 1 month later...
Perfect!! I was looking for something like this. Anyone else have the water proof case? Any problems?

I've been using that same $17 case for about 6 months wiht a 4.3" Garmin. Gps is dry. Zipped enclosure is easy to access. Touchscreen works through the plastic.

• 1 month later...

I had one of those and after about 6 months the handle broke off and I almost lost my GPS going down the road. Luckily not in a turn and could grab with the free hand before it was gone. Be careful right at the ball the extension arm will eventually break.

Mongo

Guest tx2sturgis

That looks like it will break sooner or later and toss your GPS on the pavement. I would put some kind of safety lanyard on it.

Just returned from Texas and am more than satisfied w my C550 and the cheap garmin bicycle mount I purchased off of Fleabay (about $3) [ATTACH]54738[/ATTACH]. file:///C:/Users/RJ/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngThe attachment does occasionally, but rarely, come off but the power cord acts as a tie down. Each time it happened I believe I didn't have it quite mounted snug enough and it has happened so infrequently that it is not a bother.

I did find it that C550 is waterproof after spending an entire day traveling in the rain. My phone got so wet I'm in the process of replacing it. No problems with the C550!

This was my first long trip with a gps and I cannot believe the difference it makes! Had a few traffic jams I was able to easily detour around due to the gps detour feature. Also loved not having to pull over to figure out which way to go next. Really loved when I missed a turn the gps would automatically determine another route to get me back on track. Best investment, for less then $50 including mount, that I have made in a long time!

• 10 months later...

Hey I know I'm joining in late, but incase someone is using this for references. I have a 756t and the RAM mounts deal. It was on my 900 Kawai before and I've probably put 3K on the bike with this unit and mount. I just went along the "zip lock bag" route. I used one with the sliding lock on it and had a rubber band standing by incase I thought I needed it. I figured if it started raining bad enough I needed to take it off the mount, I was going to go to "plan B" and hit the main roads anyways. Then you you just fall back on even # roads go east west odds North n south except in Ga. :shock3:

Like some others mine came off e-bay. It aint the fancyest piece but it does what I want. Has bluetooth for phone if I want and you can make it play thru the radio via FM. It also has an MP# player and SD card. You can build your own routes or download routes like from the Harley deal or several other motorcycle touring sites.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same mount for my 765T as Wes, and also had the same one for my tom tom.

I also have the waterproof case, except the case is in a drawer. didn't like it at all. If it starts to rain, it takes about a second to pop it off the mount and put it in my pocket. No big deal at all.

I have my ear buds plugged into it, via an extension cord to under the seat, so if it did break, (the mount) which I doubt, it's going nowhere.

Steve

You did good there my friend.. looks real nice and should work fine for you..

Hate to say it, but mine was cheaper then yours, but yours I would rather have.....

:sign funny post:Ok, you owe me for the cleaning bill of my shirt....:big-grin-emoticon: (JUST KIDDING)

I was drinking coffee when I scrolled down to your pic.....:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

• 1 month later...

yeah. i thought of that mount also. just posted something about it. that case is water-resistant. it didnt do so well in testing. i ordered one of these, but aquabox certainly would be a better option. i will keep the drybag for cell and stuff on the water.http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&Ne=1000&N=2300&No=0&cname=Other-Electronics-Accessories.