Just wanted to see what the Venture Nation thought about the top speed for a 87 venture would be. I have been driving mine around town and on trips not over 300 miles round trip but the other day I was on the interstate and could only get her up to 80 MPH. This is plenty fast enough and I very rarely want to exceed 70 MPH but was wondering if my slides/ Diaphragms or carbs are out of sink. What do ya'll think? The bike has about 30000 miles on her and idles, starts quick and runs fine. At high RPM there is some sputtering when in low gear and getting the tach up high. Thanks!!!

Just wanted to see what the Venture Nation thought about the top speed for a 87 venture would be. At high RPM there is some sputtering when in low gear and getting the tach up high. Thanks!!!

Try taking it out of 2nd gear & maybe use 3rd or higher............ I go to 75 Mph on occasion in 2nd gear, before up shifting to 3rd.

Maybe time for a new fuel filter & a seafoam treatment.

:canada:

There's definitely something wrong somewhere. What I have found that limits the bikes top end is the fairing. It worries me going to fast with so much plastic catching the wind here and there that I'm afraid I will lose control of the bike. I've had mine around 110-120 MPH with plenty of throttle left.

Dick

Hate to admit it, but when I first got Squidley's 86, I zipped out east on rt 14 from Fort Collins, CO., and took her up to 110 without a wabble. HOWEVER, that is not advised with the weight of this bike, wind factors unknown for that was, literally, in a desert, adn of course even the smallest marble could mess the whole deal up. I now just do 75 to 80 on cruise on interstate, and kind of putz otherwise. Great mileage putzing, ca 47 - 52, depending on wind, hills up, and weight on board.

Love the bike though!

Jack Tharp

Fort Collins, CO

aka

DePreach: weddings, outside and motorcycle ones prerred! Funerals if needed; and NO FUNDI HERE, just a guy with a well centered faith. JZ

And I love to ride in any direction except down, and I'm not ready to go straight up yet!

:Venture::safemotorcycle::7_6_3[1]:

Did you say this was a 1st Gen,

Sounds like top end on a 2nd Gen.

you first gener's are sure riding the centerline !

:witch_brew: :rotfl:

I have done 3 digits on the speedo meter with the ease of a tiller in a sand box. just to stretch the legs, ya-know.

though, i do need a carb sync. i have mine on order & can't wait till it comes in. the RSV is showing the classic signs of needing a sync. that darn speed is addictive! well, really the thrill of runnin up the RPM's thru the gears and feeling that acceleration. Oh and watchin the cagers disappear in the mirror.

dale in La.

Yeah. You need to fire her up for half a min. Then feel the pipes for heat. Your most likely running on 2 or 3 cyl. And run half a can of seafoam thru a full tank of gas. See if that helps. If no luck you'll have to pull the carbs over the winter. I have only done 95 or so on the slabs. Lots of throtle left. Feels like 125> would be no sweat, for this bike.:080402gudl_prv:

There's definitely something wrong somewhere. What I have found that limits the bikes top end is the fairing. It worries me going to fast with so much plastic catching the wind here and there that I'm afraid I will lose control of the bike. I've had mine around 110-120 MPH with plenty of throttle left.

Dick

What he said! They will also do wheelies big enough that you can't see over dash.:whistling: