IGNORED

Almost dropped the Venture yesterday!

Who Dey

Me and my wife went for a ride with another friend and his wife yesterday to get a bite to eat, great ride the weather was beautiful, first ride of the season after a long winter. It felt so good to finally get to ride after what seemed to be the longest winter ever, it seemed like the perfect day.

I just bought the Venture toward the end of 2008 and i love the bike, it rides great and is an awesome looking bike. Now, i'm not the biggest guy in the world either but i handle the bike pretty good after doing a couple of short guy mods. We get to the local Hooters and of course lots of bikers etc sitting out front on the patio enjoying the nice weather, and i am backing the bike in a parking spot and there's probably 50 people at least looking of course. Everything was going just fine until.............i get a Charlie Horse in the back of my left leg and i am thinking to myself Hoooooly Shhhh.......!!!!

The parking lot was sloped to the left so there was no way i could get the bike over to the right especially with the wife on the back and rest on my right leg. I could barely even move my left leg much less raise it to put the kickstand down lol. I finally did it but let me tell ya, it wasn't easy. I thought for sure that my new Venture was going down, scared the crap out of me! I think the only thing that gave me the strength to keep it up and get the kickstand down was knowing that all of those people were watching lol.

Anyone ever had that happen to you?

That happens to many of us, I know I have had a few times where I thought it was going over. I have only dropped 1 of my Ventures and that was in the front yard on some wet grass. Your not the only one my friend....welcome to the almost oopsie club

:whistling:

Well you know what they say, there are two types of bikers, those that have dropped their bike:bang head:, and those that are going to drop their bike.:sign busted:............and when you do drop it, there is a fine we have to pay for it, we kick $5.00 into the donation button:mo money: at the top of the page, it goes to help Freebird with the upkeep on the site........you will find out that quite a few have done the same thing.....

Welcome to the family.

Because these bikes like to work hard and play hard, they occasionally like to take a nap. You have notice one of the things about the Venture is that is a bit top-heavy and not prone to being pushed backwards. Not too much you can do about it since the physics of a 900 lb bike are not just a good idea - they're the law.

Bikes falling down is so common, this website receives a good portion of it funding from the 'Dropped the Bike' fine. If you drop your bike, you must donate $5 to this website and admit your embarassing moment.

There are only two types of Venture riders. Those who have dropped their bikes, and those that will drop their bikes.

I think I have covered all the bike dropping cliche's so far.

Seriously though, yes, it is something you will learn to be aware of. You will learn where to park and how to get to it. Have your wife dismount on level ground before trying to back up the bike. No matter how petite your bride is, she will be adding 100+ pounds at a high center of gravity. At low speed, or a stop, that is destabilizing. Also, work on your low speed turning. This is a whole new discussion that has been thoroughly flogged in here.

Try to find a spot you can pull thru to park. Or, go ahead and park heading up hill. That way, you can use the slope to roll your bike backwards before your wife gets on.

Good luck, and ride (and park) safely. Again, welcome to the asylum.

RR

Well I donated $20 bucks. I'm half way to the $20. The first time I was just out side my garage with a gentle slop to the left and my foot slipped on some leaves. Since I had to pick it up with the hill and called my son who is a body builder to help pick it up. It was a piece of cake I basically just held on. The second Time I was with a buddy and was at a light and was pointing at something with my right hand and when the light change we were about to start up and turn left and when I put my right hand back on the throttle and gave her the gas she didn't go and I dropped her on the right side. I tried to start her and she would not start. Come to find out somehow when I put my right hand back on the throttle I hit the kill switch. I can drop her two more time before I owe anymore money. Hopefully that will be awhile.:Bunny2:

Been ok so far but this bike is very scarry at low low speeds or turning tight, especially with passenger. I was riding a Valkyrie before and it was lower but also had all the engine weight very low (and no trunk or fairing) so I never felt the tipiness on that one even though it was within a hundred or so pounds of the Venture.

It's amazing how quickly things can go wrong even when standing still! My similar situation happened Friday when somehow my heel got stuck between the kickstand and the frame or pipes. I'm not completely sure why I didn't fall but I bet I could have broken an ankle if my foot was still stuck when the bike went down.

I just started riding the Royal Star after 30,000 miles of riding a V-star with no drops. I guess I'm due for a fall but I don't want to admit that it's inevitable either.

Doug

I haven't dropped it yet, and prey I never do. However, my close call came on a cold night. It was about 28 degrees out side, and my wife wanted me to get some milk for the kids. The store was just about 1/2 mile down the road, so I grabbed a coat, Got the bike started, and headed out the driveway, without letting her warm up. Lets just say, Thats a BIG NO NO !!!!

I get down the drive way, start to turn left, and touch the throtle, and next thing I know, My chest is on top of the gas tank, my feet on the ground, and im trying with all my might to keep her from going down.

They seem to just die.. when you touch her throtle on a cold wintery day..:snow2:

I just picked up my Royal Star TC this week. This is the first "big" bike for me. I have been on a Burgman for the last three years.

Well the TC has reminded me twice this week just how heavy she is!

The first time 2 minutes into the first ride of the day I pulled up to an up hill stop sigh with a right turn. I started out fine but just as I let the clutch out completely, I got the heart stopping "lurch" and she quit. With no where to put my right foot I managed a sharp right down hill turn into a neighbor's yard. Didn't go down and didn't get stuck and made it to their driveway and back onto the street. Whew!!!!!!!!!

Then next day starting out of the barber shop parking lot I had to stop for traffic. Put my left foot down on some gravel. Thank goodness it only slid a few inches, but sure got my ATTENTION!!!:bowdown:

We always have to keep a presence of mind while riding the Venture. It is a beast in its own way and I give it a lot of respect. I also had some close calls, but I managed to keep it upright. :starz:

When parking, I always pick a nice spot and depending on the slope I may park head in or back in for an easy pull out.

Ride safe.

• 1 month later...
Seriously though, yes, it is something you will learn to be aware of. You will learn where to park and how to get to it. Have your wife dismount on level ground before trying to back up the bike. No matter how petite your bride is, she will be adding 100+ pounds at a high center of gravity. At low speed, or a stop, that is destabilizing. Also, work on your low speed turning. This is a whole new discussion that has been thoroughly flogged in here.

:sign yeah that:

Guest Saddletramp

I've dropped mine twice. Once to the right in a gravel parking lot and once to the left on a cold engine stall at the end of the driveway. Both times did damage to the lower fairings. After these experiences I have installed the engine crash bar reinforcement and am hoping it doesn't happen again! Extra money will be in with my membership to cover the whoopsies.

Edited by Saddletramp
added content

I don't know if I can explain this worth a dang, so it's best that I just refer you to the Ride Like a Pro DVD... but making right turns (or even left ones) from a dead stop are way easier if you use a combination of throttle, clutch, and rear break. Check it out!

EDITED TO ADD THIS: ... and when in doubt, GAS IT A LITTLE.

Hey Terry,

I purchased my 87'VR last spring. I had an 86'VR for about 6 years, 15 years ago. I am 6' tall and weigh about 185 soaking wet. When I took the 87'VR for a few rides I didn't feel very comfortable on it, not like I did on the 86'VR 15 years ago. George S mentioned to me that you need to be "In Shape" to ride these big bikes. I started doing squats, curling dumbbells, and most important of all, stretching before I go for a ride. I know this sounds like I'm taking all of the fun outta' a ride on your bike but being out of shape is the easiest way to hurt yourself or your passenger. In my case, the beating I would take from Jean if I ever dropped my VR with her on the back makes a few push-ups and a few sit-ups childs play.:pushups: My bike is now a pleasure to drive, and I feel much better because I physically feel better!

Just a thought,

Earl

If you ride a bike, eventually you are going to drop a bike.

When I see an ad that says never been rained on, never been down. I always think the next line should be never been rode.

Mine has been wet, muddy, dusty, down and anything else you can think of.

freedom of the road for all.

Gregg:innocent:

OK, now I have one for you. I just bought a '04 midnight RV 2 weeks ago. Before that I was riding a Honda VTX (about 200lbs lighter). The wife and I decided to go eat at a restaurant in the country. We arrived there after a beautiful ride and I pulled into a parking spot. Once I got into the spot I noticed that it had a larger than normal slope down that I just nosed the bike into. I didn't think it was a big deal because I had parked the X on plenty of slopes and backed it out LOL. After a fine dinner we went out to get on the bike for the ride home and there were several people standing around admiring the bike. I jumped on feeling really good about how cool I looked on my new ride. That coolness subsided rather quickly when I had to ask the wife to get off and push from the front because I couldn't budge it out of the hole. What a site.....how embarrassing.:puzzled:

Smely

OK, now I have one for you. I just bought a '04 midnight RV 2 weeks ago. Before that I was riding a Honda VTX (about 200lbs lighter). The wife and I decided to go eat at a restaurant in the country. We arrived there after a beautiful ride and I pulled into a parking spot. Once I got into the spot I noticed that it had a larger than normal slope down that I just nosed the bike into. I didn't think it was a big deal because I had parked the X on plenty of slopes and backed it out LOL. After a fine dinner we went out to get on the bike for the ride home and there were several people standing around admiring the bike. I jumped on feeling really good about how cool I looked on my new ride. That coolness subsided rather quickly when I had to ask the wife to get off and push from the front because I couldn't budge it out of the hole. What a site.....how embarrassing.:puzzled:

Smely

Yeah, this is where the "pick your spot carefully" comes into play. Bet you don't do that again, huh? :happy34: