IGNORED

Wife's new wheels

Freebird

Went car shopping and the wife ended up with a new set of wheels. Traded her 2015 Nissan Murano. We had both decided that we wanted a truck for various reasons so.....

2018 Toyota Tundra 1794. It was the owner's demo and has 5300 miles on it. I felt that I got a pretty good deal on it. About every option imaginable.

Tundra.jpg

Very Nice! Is it a 4x4?

I test drove one a few months ago and liked it but since I retired, I don't put that many miles on my truck and it still does the job quite well so I had my old 2002 F150 painted and kept it. The paint on the top and hood was in bad shape prompting a decision.

Yes, it's 4X4. That's about all I buy here in Ohio near Lake Erie. It has about everything. Heated and cooled leather seats, adaptive cruise, lane departure warnings, moonroof, etc. Also has the trailering package including trailer brake control and about everything else you can think of. 5.7 V8. Gas mileage won't be great but towing capacity is pretty good. Just over 10,000 lbs. Should do what we need it to. The Murano only had 41,000 miles on it and still had the original tires but was going to need new ones soon. We really liked it but the towing capacity was the issue. The previous generation Muranos had a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. That would have been all we need at this point but after I bought the 2015, I discovered that they had decreased towing capacity to 1500 lbs. Same engine and transmission so I assume it was due to a softer suspension or something. I don't pull a lot at this time but even the two jet skis put me over the 1500 lb. capacity. In a year or two, we are thinking about buying a travel trailer so wanted something that would pull one.

Nice Truck. Put some stair climber magnetic signs on it and it becomes a tax deduction!! Also good time to trade the Nissan In my opinion. After having a bad experience with Nissan and Nissan CVT transmissions (in a Murano) I am of the opinion any Nissan with a CVT is not a vehicle you want to own once it is out of warranty.

I've heard good and bad things about the Nissan CVT. We bought it new and it has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a couple of minor recalls but at 40,000 miles, I wouldn't have expected to see any major issues.

This is the first Toyota that I have ever owned but I've always been a fan of them. Often wished I had bought a Four Runner instead of the Murano.

The Murano only had 41,000 miles on it and still had the original tires but was going to need new ones soon. We really liked it but the towing capacity was the issue. The previous generation Muranos had a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. That would have been all we need at this point but after I bought the 2015, I discovered that they had decreased towing capacity to 1500 lbs. Same engine and transmission so I assume it was due to a softer suspension or something. I don't pull a lot at this time but even the two jet skis put me over the 1500 lb. capacity. In a year or two, we are thinking about buying a travel trailer so wanted something that would pull one.

The reduced towing capacity is likely due to the fact that Nissan realized the CVT transmission isn't up to it. I am surprised they rated it 4000 even in the previous generation. Any way done hijacking.

So does the 1794 Edition have Toyota's version of the Ford King Ranch cowhide style leather seating? Have always loved the King Ranch interiors or that style.

Of the 1/2 ton trucks, for some reason the Toyota and Nissan get the worst gas mileage. Dunno why, but engine is bigger than the 4.6 Ford and the Chevy. But they are quite a bit off from the others. Me think the Nissan is the worst.

They are a nice truck, heck anything newer than my 96 Dodge is nice. LOL I keep looking @ 2011 and newer F 250's, but I just cant justify it right now.

I have a 2007 tundra and love it. You can't beat the ride comfort on long trips either. About the only down side is the 5.7 sure loves to drink gas but it does have amazing power and get up and go. Oh there is one other down side, so far as I have been able to find out there is no way to disable the ABS without disabling the 4 wheel drive, which sucks because I hate ABS with a passion. I have just had too many close calls because of it. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned were I could not disable the ABS. For the rest though I love the truck and when the time comes to replace it, it will probably be another Tundra.

The reduced towing capacity is likely due to the fact that Nissan realized the CVT transmission isn't up to it. I am surprised they rated it 4000 even in the previous generation. Any way done hijacking.

So does the 1794 Edition have Toyota's version of the Ford King Ranch cowhide style leather seating? Have always loved the King Ranch interiors or that style.

Yes, it has the cowhide style. It's the one thing that Eileen wasn't crazy about. She would have preferred a gray interior but it's not available on the 1794. The Platinum is about the same thing in regards to equipment but I saved a good bit of money on this demo. The Platinum, the only difference being the interior color, would have cost several thousand dollars more. I actually like it and she said that she would get used to it.

tundraint.jpeg

Yes, it has the cowhide style. It's the one thing that Eileen wasn't crazy about. She would have preferred a gray interior but it's not available on the 1794. The Platinum is about the same thing in regards to equipment but I saved a good bit of money on this demo. The Platinum, the only difference being the interior color, would have cost several thousand dollars more. I actually like it and she said that she would get used to it.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114825

Yep,,, looks just like my Dodge, dashboard in the front, shifter in the middle, steering wheel on the left, clocks behind the steering wheel, coffee cup holders, 2 seats and junk box in the middle, glove box on the right, mirrors, door handles..........NICE TRUCK!!!

Really nice new ride, your WIFE did a good job, lol. You'll like Toyo's, my wife and kids have Toyo cars, run forever with little maintenance.

Been thinking up upgrading the YukonXL, as I pull a TT. I see your Tow rating, do you know what the payload capacity is (should be a yellow sticker in Drivers door). That plays in a lot with what kind of Tongue weight, gear, humans, etc you can fill it up with. Many of the newer Fords say they can pull a lot, but have very little carrying capacity, as far as dead weight you can drop behind the axles. Many on an RV forum complain about them (Ford ecoboost). The Tundra gets high marks, and little complaints.

I've heard good and bad things about the Nissan CVT. We bought it new and it has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a couple of minor recalls but at 40,000 miles, I wouldn't have expected to see any major issues.

This is the first Toyota that I have ever owned but I've always been a fan of them. Often wished I had bought a Four Runner instead of the Murano.

Nissan has been up and down over the years with regards to quality and cust satisfaction but they have some gems. They have just never (consistently) reached the level of Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. The F150 would have obviously been another very solid choice, but you can NOT go wrong with Toyota. I have owned Toyota (and Ford) trucks for decades and that truck there would have been one of my first choices, even in that color. IMHO she made about the most solid choice possible.

I still have a Toyota now (Lexus LS400 4.0 V8) that is 22 years old and has over 200k on the clock, It rides like a brand new car and is an absolute pleasure, no car from that era rides like this, so supple and sooo damn quiet. Toyota has always done the right thing with so few lemons over the years. I really think your Toyota owning experience might cause you to think about that 4-runner. BUT, Don, but... if you dont want to spend a ton of scratch but you want a spectacular, capable and opulent SUV with Toyota reliability then I'm going to HIGHLY suggest you fine and drive a nice example of LX470 (Landcruiser) from the early 2000s. Not kidding, these things are saught after for a reason and IMHO well worth the 10k+ nice ones bring. Unlike a few other manufactures that have only recently started putting some quality down Toyota has been doing this for years. I'm a big fan for a reason, Lexus is what finally broke me of American cars. You may end up taking the keys away from her and making it your own, at least until you remember some nutty guy on the internet compelling you to go try out an LX470.

Congrats on a very solid choice!

Congratulations on your truck !

I bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited at the end of August. My first truck.

After driving a Mustang GT (8 cylinder) for several years I didn't want to go back to anything in a 4 banger. Looked at the F150 in multiple engines and didn't like the power transfer to the wheels or noticed defects (steering shimmy which dealer said it would be fixed during dealer prep - sorry....I work at a Toyota factory and if it came out of the factory that way there is something wrong that dealer prep won't catch). I wanted something reliable and the Tundra was the best.

The 5.7L engine will drive the truck 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds. Tons of room inside the cabin. You can manage your fuel economy by watching your acceleration from a stop, find the "sweet spot" speed/RPM.

Bike and Tundra.jpg

2016 Tundra SR5, double cab, 5.7 V8, 4 WD, tow package. Absolutely love it. Only thing that is not great about it is the factory trailer brake controller, but even that hasn't bothered me enough to replace it. Overall gas mileage after 25000 miles is 16.1 mpg. That includes every mile of use, loaded, unloaded, towing, etc.If I was worried about gas mileage I wouldn't buy a truck. The 1794 is a beautiful truck, enjoy!

Parker Dam 2017.jpg

Congrats on the new truck..! I have looked at the Tundra's a few times now, but still like my Avalanche. It seems to do fine for all I need at the moment anyway. Not sure if I will ever get another vehicle again unless something major goes wrong with this Av..Hope not.... Anyway, sending you my best wishes for a strong, durable, reliable vehicle that you can trust. I've heard great reviews on them.

Tip and I looked closely at the smaller Toyota Pick-up called the Tacoma for our new found touring needs before we discovered the camping capabilities of the new Ioniq Hybrid. I was amazed at how well those things (Toyota Trucks) hold their value and how much in demand they are!! Toyota HAS to be one of the top trucks in demand for a reason - definitely quality stuff IMHO. We bought a GMC StarCraft conversion van back in '84 that had Mexican switches in it and had a TON of issues with the electrics therein (put a BUNCH of new key switches in the thang) and got nothing but grief from the GM dealership - kept blaming the Mexicans - felt like I was caught between a rock and a hard place with no where to turn.. I never really cared for cross bred anything since then and have always preferred as close to 100% pedigree as possible since then so I was dealing with 1 manufacturer when :stickpoke: everyday issues BUT,, I am sure today's vehicle world is different as far as those types of scape goatings go. GORGEOUS truck there Bossman:thumbsup:,,, tell that Eileen CONGRATS for us:thumbsup:!!!

Really nice new ride, your WIFE did a good job, lol. You'll like Toyo's, my wife and kids have Toyo cars, run forever with little maintenance.

Been thinking up upgrading the YukonXL, as I pull a TT. I see your Tow rating, do you know what the payload capacity is (should be a yellow sticker in Drivers door). That plays in a lot with what kind of Tongue weight, gear, humans, etc you can fill it up with. Many of the newer Fords say they can pull a lot, but have very little carrying capacity, as far as dead weight you can drop behind the axles. Many on an RV forum complain about them (Ford ecoboost). The Tundra gets high marks, and little complaints.

First let me say, I was incorrect about the towing capacity. The 10,100 is for the 4X2 model. Mine is a 4X4 and the towing capacity is 8800 lbs. Payload capacity on the 4X4 is 1530.

2016 Tundra SR5, double cab, 5.7 V8, 4 WD, tow package. Absolutely love it. Only thing that is not great about it is the factory trailer brake controller, but even that hasn't bothered me enough to replace it. Overall gas mileage after 25000 miles is 16.1 mpg. That includes every mile of use, loaded, unloaded, towing, etc.If I was worried about gas mileage I wouldn't buy a truck. The 1794 is a beautiful truck, enjoy!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114828

That trailer is about the size that we will likely purchase at some point and was the primary reason for buying the truck.

Congrats on the new truck..! I have looked at the Tundra's a few times now, but still like my Avalanche. It seems to do fine for all I need at the moment anyway. Not sure if I will ever get another vehicle again unless something major goes wrong with this Av..Hope not.... Anyway, sending you my best wishes for a strong, durable, reliable vehicle that you can trust. I've heard great reviews on them.

Eck, you know that I've owned two Avalanches, the 1500 and a 2500. I like them a lot. The problem with them here is that they are prone to rust easier than some other trucks on these salt-covered winter roads.

Don, Here's a hint...

20181025_114615.jpg

Coleman 249RB. I love it. Lighter than most. Better built than most. Very well laid out inside and out.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-dutchmen-coleman-travel-trailer-floorplan-249rb-tr24118

Notice how user have rated it over all travel trailers for the 2015 model year...

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/dutchmen/travel-trailer/2015/coleman/249rb.html

P.S. Your Toyota will pull it nicely. Recommend the E2 trunnion 800/8000lb WDH.

Edited by videoarizona
add

Don, Here's a hint...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114829

Coleman 249RB. I love it. Lighter than most. Better built than most. Very well laid out inside and out.

P.S. Your Toyota will pull it nicely. Recommend the E2 trunnion 800/8000lb WDH.

David: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2007-GMC-SIERRA-1500-YUKON-16-6-LUG-WHEEL-HUB-CENTER-CAP-BOLT-COVER-NEW/231100873723?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D54338%26meid%3D841fb36e0ddc409f95a2b75f175b6d75%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D231100873723&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

:):beer:

That is the perfect size for 1/2 ton