New Star Venture

10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked at this bike online and the reviews looked good but they always seem to be better than sliced bread until a few years later when all the real problems rear their ugly heads.

I would have to say if I were to buy a v twin touring bike it would be a water cooled Harley. The chances of me buying one is extremely slim as I don't care for the sound or vibrations of the twins. I'm a smooth quiet gut and I like my bikes the same way. I guess if I upgrade fro the 83 Venture I'll go with a Goldwing or possibly an F6B as we take Lisa's 2012 Spyder limited when we both go on trips so I don't need a comfortable passenger seat or trunk for her stuff.

Hmmm?? I wonder if a 2ndGen heel/toe would fit?? Or be McGivered to fit??

It is possible, Condor. Maybe Carbon One can also chime in on this. :cry:

Lets try this,,, ohhhh great fabricator of all things steel,,, we call upon you @Carbon_One to solve yet another great mystery :big-grin-emoticon:

Hmmm, the accessory book for the new one that I picked up in Sturgis shows the heal shifter @103 bucks.. At any rate,, here are a couple pictures of which these varmints speak Larry = (even someone as intelligent as my buddy Larry needs something to work with IMHO)..

DSCN5558.JPG

DSCN5557.JPG

DSCN5556.JPG

I looked at this bike online and the reviews looked good but they always seem to be better than sliced bread until a few years later when all the real problems rear their ugly heads.

I would have to say if I were to buy a v twin touring bike it would be a water cooled Harley. The chances of me buying one is extremely slim as I don't care for the sound or vibrations of the twins. I'm a smooth quiet gut and I like my bikes the same way. I guess if I upgrade fro the 83 Venture I'll go with a Goldwing or possibly an F6B as we take Lisa's 2012 Spyder limited when we both go on trips so I don't need a comfortable passenger seat or trunk for her stuff.

Yamaha has the highest reliability ratings according to CR, I think its 11% chance of major issues in the first four years. Closely followed by the other 3 Japanese mfrs, HD is way at the other end just ahead of the Euro bikes and well behind Polaris (Indian is way ahead of HD in both reliability and cust satisfaction). If I were to go by Consumer Report I would go Indian or Yahama for a twin. As we all know the first years of an entirely new model can be critical for bugs and glitches to be exposed and worked out, but if anyone can pull this off a bike like this without headaches its Yamaha. Im particularly concerned about the techy options. Im betting the engine, trans and final drive are going to prove solid. Alot remains to be seen but IMHO the time to buy a new Stratoliner (Venture) would be after new owners have had a chance to voice wishes and grievances, so gen3 MKII if you will. CR goes back 4 years but Im riding a nearly 30 yr old Venture so I can only speculate on how a 3rd gen will be after 3 decades of the elements and use, im not betting its a 30 year bike with all the extra complexity and the air cooled mill.

A lot remains to be seen but IMHO the time to buy a new Stratoliner (Venture) would be after new owners have had a chance to voice wishes and grievances, so gen3 MKII if you will. CR goes back 4 years but Im riding a nearly 30 yr old Venture so I can only speculate on how a 3rd gen will be after 3 decades of the elements and use, im not betting its a 30 year bike with all the extra complexity and the air cooled mill.
That's just too confusing. Even though it is just a poser, Yamaha called their new touring bike a Star Venture so that is what it is. A Star...ved Venture that could only manage a two valve or half a heart. This is a Gen 1 bike from a new line and should never be confused with a Gen 3 V-4 Venture which Yamaha has chosen not to produce.

Hopefully this clarifies the matter. :Avatars_Gee_George:

... This is a Gen 1 bike from a new line and should never be confused with a Gen 3 V-4 Venture which Yamaha has chosen not to produce.

So it isn't the motor we were hoping for. Other than not having a liquid cooled V4 and shaft drive....it is still going to be a good bike and IS called a Venture. Early reports are that it is heads and tails above the Harley and other brands touring bikes.

New members that buy the new model are going to be confused if they read all these posts and think they aren't getting a good bike. We need to welcome them here because this is VentureRider.org and the bike (name) is "Venture" and is meant for touring.

I agree that Yamaha should have come back with a liquid cooled V4 and shaft drive. I have an 8 cylinder Mustang GT and frankly half the cylinders (with Eco boost or even 6 cylinders) wouldn't make me want to buy one. BUT they are still called a Mustang and the new Venture does come with that heritage of a full decked out touring bike. It is what it is and we won't see Yamaha change it now. They didn't ask current owners of Gen I/II Ventures who would have started the wish list with a V4....but they talked to VTwin owners that ride Harleys who only know twins.

Going back to the Mustang....ask someone who has only ever driven a 4 banger if the Mustang needs 8 cylinders and they would probably say it doesn't. Ask anyone that has driven a V8 and they'd laugh at the idea of a 4 banger in a sporty car. It'd be like buying a computer with half the memory....or being forced to drink decaf coffee instead of regular caffeinated coffee. Or "diet" soda instead of regular.

LOL - I'm sure the people here saying the new Venture should have had a V4 remember when Coke came out with the "New" Coke and changed the recipe. It was called Coke....but it wasn't Coke. And unlike Coke drinkers at the time, we aren't a big enough group to get the old Venture back.

So it isn't the motor we were hoping for. Other than not having a liquid cooled V4 and shaft drive....it is still going to be a good bike and IS called a Venture. Early reports are that it is heads and tails above the Harley and other brands touring bikes.

New members that buy the new model are going to be confused if they read all these posts and think they aren't getting a good bike. We need to welcome them here because this is VentureRider.org and the bike (name) is "Venture" and is meant for touring.

I agree that Yamaha should have come back with a liquid cooled V4 and shaft drive. I have an 8 cylinder Mustang GT and frankly half the cylinders (with Eco boost or even 6 cylinders) wouldn't make me want to buy one. BUT they are still called a Mustang and the new Venture does come with that heritage of a full decked out touring bike. It is what it is and we won't see Yamaha change it now. They didn't ask current owners of Gen I/II Ventures who would have started the wish list with a V4....but they talked to VTwin owners that ride Harleys who only know twins.

Going back to the Mustang....ask someone who has only ever driven a 4 banger if the Mustang needs 8 cylinders and they would probably say it doesn't. Ask anyone that has driven a V8 and they'd laugh at the idea of a 4 banger in a sporty car. It'd be like buying a computer with half the memory....or being forced to drink decaf coffee instead of regular caffeinated coffee. Or "diet" soda instead of regular.

LOL - I'm sure the people here saying the new Venture should have had a V4 remember when Coke came out with the "New" Coke and changed the recipe. It was called Coke....but it wasn't Coke. And unlike Coke drinkers at the time, we aren't a big enough group to get the old Venture back.

Hey Don,

Very well said, my friend.

It is certainly a Venture. I will accept it as that, but, the non water cooling thing is probably gonna kick me out of the running. Who knows? I might love it so much after I test ride it that it plucks my twanger just enough to make me yank out the ole wallet, but I'm not expecting that to happen. The Mustang comparison is spot on, and if your a Chevy feller, they have done the same thing to the Camaro. Trends and tastes change. Its a fact of life. I for one am forever grateful that mother Yam decided to not abandon the full dresser touring market. And, when she decided to get back in it, she did it with a bang! I applaud her efforts. After all, we could all be Suzuki riders still waiting on a return of the Cavalcade.

So, yes, it's a Venture. It might not be exactly what us older gents want in a power plant, but Yamaha cared enough about honoring the Venture name plate, that she re-introduced it. I think its dang cool that she did that.

Big Lenny

So, yes, it's a Venture. It might not be exactly what us older gents want in a power plant, but Yamaha cared enough about honoring the Venture name plate, that she re-introduced it. I think its dang cool that she did that.

When you consider the v-twin competition in the segment, the new Venture stands out above the rest. If it was a liquid cooled V4 with shaft drive...I would consider it. With it being a twin, I have no excuse to spend that much money to get a 9 year newer bike (I have an '09 RSV). Longevity of the V4 has been shown with the number of 1st Gen's still out there. (How many vtwins from the 80's are still around?) With no direct replacement for my 2nd Gen, this will probably be my last bike unless I downsize or go the three wheels....unless the Gen IV goes back to it's roots as a V4.

Well, the Star Venture is indeed a Venture in name but the point I am making is that it is not a Gen 3. The Star Venture is about as much a Venture as the Goldwing is except, of course, that it has Venture as part of its name and is made by Yamaha. Another thing of note is no matter whether it's a Gen 1 Mk I, Mk II or one of the several flavours of Gen 2 most of us on this site can offer some reasonably accurate help. That is not so with the poser Venture which is a new totally different bike and not a relative or even of the same species as the real Venture.

Call it a Venture if you like but don't call it a Gen 3.

That's just too confusing. Even though it is just a poser, Yamaha called their new touring bike a Star Venture so that is what it is. A Star...ved Venture that could only manage a two valve or half a heart. This is a Gen 1 bike from a new line and should never be confused with a Gen 3 V-4 Venture which Yamaha has chosen not to produce.

Hopefully this clarifies the matter. :Avatars_Gee_George:

After reading the last few posts and points made about its Venturehood I have to agree, they call it a Venture so its a Venture. That being a good move is much more arguable than the accuracy of the reviews saying its better than other twin cruisers on the market. I personally cant see how HD isnt long defunct. I like the mustang analogy, I know some folks can get by with a twin and even enjoy it. I grew up here in HD country so I see it every day. I dont get it but different engine configurations for different riding styles is sound reasoning. I dont see this argument going away. I get that the Venture as we know it has been officially retired just as we thought it was getting a spectacular upgrade, it was replaced with something entirely different and designed for a very different rider, so after all the months of hype it stings a bit when this bike would have fit so squarely into their line of Strats. I guess I just have some anxiety over knowing that the power tourer we have all loved is officially a thing of the past whilst an air cooled twin marches into the future wearing its name tag. Times change and other mfrs do make power tourers so were not completely boned when new bike time comes.

My rant aside I do want buyers of the new bike to feel welcome, this debate doesnt change the welcoming of new brothers and sisters, the debate is only about the machines and not the buyers.

I would edit this down but I will point out I would have asked for a 6 cyl configuration.[emoji23] [emoji23] I also would have settled for a V-4

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

If Yamaha wants to take customer base from Harley they still have a long ways to go. They need a much larger dealer network. They need to give service priority to transit riders with problems on the road. They need to have parts and service available nation wide and beyond. There are also many intangibles with Harley ownership. It is more than just 'want to be'. So I question the wisdom of throwing away your customer base to chase one you don't have the resources to win.

Mike

If you want a new Venture it is what it is that said,, l'm sticking with what I got. I went with the Polaris Indian when they came out that was a mistake. May look for a low mileage Gen 2 trike latter on in life say at 80 plus or so just turned 70 and still enjoy carving the twisties with the best of them.:backinmyday:

One of the few things that the Star Techy's out at Sturgis were open and clear about was the top end and crank assembly of this new one, it does in fact share components with the Strat/Roadliner/Raider motor - there is a vid floating around here of the cutaway new motor showing its internal components if you wanna see whats going on in there..

That said,, and something else that has been tickling my "why did mom yam do that" button is the sales history of the 113 (and all Metric and domestic V-Twins other than HD for that matter). Like everyone else,, Mom Yam has been chasing the HD market for years,, with LOTS alarming lack of success.. While I REALLY like that great big beautiful 113 inch Strat motor = it never did sell worth a hoot and (at least in the mid west) had an extremely poor resale value.. Fact is,, I have passed up more very nice $3500 dollar 113 inch Strat motor scoots thru the years than I care to mention.. They just didnt work around here.. Also,, thinking back on the days when those machines sat on the Show Room floors,, the dealerships had a VERY hard time getting rid of left overs of all models even though they were 1/2 price (or less in some cases) of a comparable HD model - while the HD models were, at the time,, moving out the doors of HD dealerships like penny candy from a neighborhood candy store... The stuff just did not sell!! Now,, lets talk resale on comparable model years of the V-Max - those puppies have at least held their own on the open market,, even the most ardent HD rider will tell you that as far as Muscle Bikes go - the mighty V-Max stands tall as THE benchmark and,, even in these soft market days - they are one of the scoots that has solid footing = V-4's are bad to the bone,,, I still druel when thinking what could have been done with this new Venture,,,,, getting side tracked again...

When I toss that transparency over the fact that Polaris just closed their Victory production (those were air/oil cooled, big twin scoots = 106 inch) because,, get this,, they simply did not sell (they are STILL sitting in warehouses with left over Polaris Indians waiting for new owners) and,, get this,,, those Victories had a sell point at much less than comparable HD models too - they simply could not shake the HD folks free from the HD tree..

Now, both Polaris with their air cooled Indian repop and Mom Yam with her air cooled Venture repop are going toe to toe with HD again only this time they are doing it with MSRP numbers too??? What in the wild wild world of motorcycling history is happening out there - has the whole place gone nuts?

If Yamaha wants to take customer base from Harley they still have a long ways to go. They need a much larger dealer network. They need to give service priority to transit riders with problems on the road. They need to have parts and service available nation wide and beyond. There are also many intangibles with Harley ownership. It is more than just 'want to be'. So I question the wisdom of throwing away your customer base to chase one you don't have the resources to win.

Mike

HEAR HEAR = EXACTLY MIKE!! Its almost like Mom Yam wants to proactively pursue HD but does not want to lose the small market it already has with us V-4 Venture riders or V-Max riders,, a sort of having their cake and eating it too so to speak - all IMHO of course..

It's interesting if a person pays special attention to the video found in the thread about "Mom Yam firing back" = found here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?131825-Yamaha-fires-back-on-why-they-didn-t-use-the-vmax-v4-engine

One may notice that at the beginning of this attempt at justifying why they did not use the mighty V-4 and shaft drive in the new one, Mom Yam openly promotes its extensive high RPM/high horse history with the saying "Yamaha Rev's The Heart" and then again,, right at the very end they clearly fall back on that same iconic notion.. Way cool and totally TRUE but any one who watches the video and/or who has actually ridden one of these new ones OR any push rod V-Twin equipped motorcycle has to ask himself,, what in the world are they thinking? What has "revving" got to do with anything herein,,, Mom Yam - you may not realize it but you done threw allllll that sell point out with the baby in the wash = ,,, IMHO of course....

Customer base is a good point, as a former HD owner I guess I could see tbe appeal of tbe big twin but I never felt it, if that makes sense. My first ride on a warmed up KZ with the 4-1 pipe completely removed my ability to enjoy a narrow Angle twin. So here is another thought, a more toury version of the FJR, its not a V4 but its a stonkin' mill using current technology. Sort of like the difference between a KGT and KGTL. Ergos and wind protection more like a traditional Venture without major changes to the whole platform. Sort of performance of a sport tourer and ergos more remisicent of a purpose built tour bike. I know I'm going way off but a more toury version of the FJR would pacify. Sometimes I just like to bang it off the rev limiter in every gear and feeling the tear jerking acceleration, that ability to pull hard from 80mph while 2up and loaded. My inner child demands it!

Sorry about going way off, but an FJR (or my other bike crush, the Connie) with a variant pushed more into touring from sport touring would make me shut my mouth and open my checkbook. Ive had many bikes but this gen1 is easily the most comfy, and even in its obsolescence performs admirably well. I guess I'm just amusing myself (and maybe only myself) with speculation of how Yamaha can make it right with those of us that were disappointed in the 3rd gen spec sheet.

Maybe they are working on something as we speak, I hadn't thought of that...

Customer base is a good point, as a former HD owner I guess I could see tbe appeal of tbe big twin but I never felt it, if that makes sense. My first ride on a warmed up KZ with the 4-1 pipe completely removed my ability to enjoy a narrow Angle twin. So here is another thought, a more toury version of the FJR, its not a V4 but its a stonkin' mill using current technology. Sort of like the difference between a KGT and KGTL. Ergos and wind protection more like a traditional Venture without major changes to the whole platform. Sort of performance of a sport tourer and ergos more remisicent of a purpose built tour bike. I know I'm going way off but a more toury version of the FJR would pacify. Sometimes I just like to bang it off the rev limiter in every gear and feeling the tear jerking acceleration, that ability to pull hard from 80mph while 2up and loaded. My inner child demands it!

Sorry about going way off, but an FJR (or my other bike crush, the Connie) with a variant pushed more into touring from sport touring would make me shut my mouth and open my checkbook. Ive had many bikes but this gen1 is easily the most comfy, and even in its obsolescence performs admirably well. I guess I'm just amusing myself (and maybe only myself) with speculation of how Yamaha can make it right with those of us that were disappointed in the 3rd gen spec sheet.

Maybe they are working on something as we speak, I hadn't thought of that...

I hear ya Case but,, an this is just the opinion of a beat up ol V-4 Yamaha guy,,, its not there for me... I was totally sold out on and in total line for (both emotionally and financially) the new Venture that was gonna turn the touring world upside down.. Its really hard to explain but,,, I sat there in the front row seat at Americade with over a million miles under my belt on the 1st Gens, our 6th 83 having carried us faithfully to the big unveiling, an echo in my mind of KNOWING first hand what those folks at Yamaha were capable of and - having waited many years for this moment just to be completely caught off guard.

Nahh,,, I think I am gonna just finish out my days aboard the ol has been,, enjoying CTFW at my wifes rev limited 100 mph out there in Gods country on those far off places where 135 degree tarmac is normal and where air cooled scoots fear to actually tour... When it comes time to really really need to go faster or pull harder than a beat up ol 74 inch 1st Gen V-4 can do it - gonna lay across the back of my teeny motored 60 inch R1 and watch the world disappear..

On the same token though,,, I still got a little bucketlisting going on,,, if the charm and :scared: of Maggie the R1 does slow up some,,, ya may see a 1700cc V-Max in my garage next to our 1st Gen :missingtooth::mugshot::big-grin-emoticon:

My rant aside I do want buyers of the new bike to feel welcome, this debate doesnt change the welcoming of new brothers and sisters, the debate is only about the machines and not the buyers.

+1

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!!!

and us folks with the faster 1st Gens PROMISE not to pick on ya'll like we have done and do with the slower 2nd Gen owners,,,, = NOT!!:motorcyclehelmet:

When I owned an 83 750 Yamaha Virago, I decided that I didn't like vibrating underpowered V-twins. Make mine a smooth, powerful, high revving 4 or 6. I too like that rush of power when it is winding out. I was an avid hot rodder back in my day and still have the need for speed!