IGNORED

New Star Venture

10spd

I bought my new 2012 Venture in the fall of 2014. Not sure if this indicative of the second gen sales across the country but with a new bike sitting on the showroom floor for 2 years is it possible that it had some bearing in Yamaha thinking they had to make a radical change? I still would have preferred a water cooled V-4 in this new bike but maybe those who are not happy with the change could have spoken with their wallets before 2013 when Yamaha stopped building them?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought my new 2012 Venture in the fall of 2014. Not sure if this indicative of the second gen sales across the country but with a new bike sitting on the showroom floor for 2 years is it possible that it had some bearing in Yamaha thinking they had to make a radical change? I still would have preferred a water cooled V-4 in this new bike but maybe those who are not happy with the change could have spoken with their wallets before 2013 when Yamaha stopped building them?

Don't mean to hijack this thread and I will be test riding the new Venture when the dealer nearby sends me an e-mail of it's arrival but how does the Passenger feel on the back of your 2012? There is one nearby me with 6k on the clock going for $9500.00 and if my wife is happy, you know what they say. Right now I have my 15 FJR that I will keep that is fine for 2 to 300 mile days with her on the back but we want to take longer trips and have more storage available. Had an 08 Goldwing that we really liked but needed to make some changes to the suspension and windshield and she still was buffeted around on the back. She said she felt too far away as well.

Recently test drove a 16 HD RGU and the wind protection was very good, she felt closer to me which she liked but I didn't like my position on the bike. Test drove a 17 HD EGC had a nice power plant (a lot smoother than the 16), I liked my position much better but my head took a beating and she felt battered around a bit on the back.

Don't mean to hijack this thread and I will be test riding the new Venture when the dealer nearby sends me an e-mail of it's arrival but how does the Passenger feel on the back of your 2012? There is one nearby me with 6k on the clock going for $9500.00 and if my wife is happy, you know what they say. Right now I have my 15 FJR that I will keep that is fine for 2 to 300 mile days with her on the back but we want to take longer trips and have more storage available. Had an 08 Goldwing that we really liked but needed to make some changes to the suspension and windshield and she still was buffeted around on the back. She said she felt too far away as well.

Recently test drove a 16 HD RGU and the wind protection was very good, she felt closer to me which she liked but I didn't like my position on the bike. Test drove a 17 HD EGC had a nice power plant (a lot smoother than the 16), I liked my position much better but my head took a beating and she felt battered around a bit on the back.

I am positive that Zudey will have some important info on this too but I wonder if our member @videoarizona may also have some helpful info pertaining to your question.. He and I have spoke at considerable length about the 2nd Gens and available windshields and wind buffeting there of.. It will be interesting for my wife and I to hear what these experienced riders have to say concerning the question(s) you propose.. Hopefully several of our other experienced 2nd Gen riders will also chime in as "the more the merrier" usually applies quite nicely when considering gathering info about the purchase of a new scoot!! Hope this helps Brew and WELCOME to VR!!

y

My previous ride was the Royal Star Tour Deluxe and although almost the same bike as the Venture there are a few differences. One of which is the seating. My wife didn't like the RSTD because she sat too low or I was too high. When I switched to the Venture she was thrilled after the first ride. Her position is higher now resulting in a better view of our surroundings. The seats are softer also.

Wind buffetting isn't an issue but I have changed the windshield and did so prior to her first ride. I have the Bagger Shield and use it in the upright position when riding two up.

I am positive that Zudey will have some important info on this too but I wonder if our member videoarizona may also have some helpful info pertaining to your question.. He and I have spoke at considerable length about the 2nd Gens and available windshields and wind buffeting there of.. It will be interesting for my wife and I to hear what these experienced riders have to say concerning the question(s) you propose.. Hopefully several of our other experienced 2nd Gen riders will also chime in as "the more the merrier" usually applies quite nicely when considering gathering info about the purchase of a new scoot!! Hope this helps Brew and WELCOME to VR!!

y

Yep...for sure the original windshield on the 2nd gen was not comfortable for my better half. She had a headache from buffeting after an hour in the saddle. We both wear full gear all the time (if that makes any difference).

The addition of the widest, tallest Clearview with vent solved most of her issues with the 2nd gen. She still misses the adjustable backrest of the 1st gen. Even with the 2nd Gen tour pack moved back, she isn't as comfortable on the 2nd gen as she is on the 1st gen. I carry a round pillow just in case she wants more support for her back.

Hope this helps...

Oh, yea, Brew. I almost forgot, moving the trunk back was something I did before she rode the first time. It wasn't that she needed the extra room to fit but more of a case of sitting slightly back from original. It is easy to do and she will gain a couple of inches. A backrest for the rider with a pouch on the back is pretty valuable also so she has a place for her phone and sunglasses. We use UClear communicators (Full face/modular helmets) so we can converse easily and listen to music/navigation/phone calls independent of the other also.

I've seen several "ride reports" and curious to try one out I called my local dealer yesterday. I asked if they had one on the floor to look at, that I wasn't looking to ride it but to see it in person. They said they won't have one on the floor until Spring and at that time there might be demo days but until then, if anyone in Canada wants to look at one they have to be booked to go to Toronto to see it. There they will fire it up but no riding. You can see it and hear it but that is about it. 100 of the 3rd Gen Ventures have been allocated to Canada and the dealer has had one inquiry on ordering one now. Any pre-orders should be delivered by the end of September.

100 of the 3rd Gen Ventures have been allocated to Canada and the dealer has had one inquiry on ordering one now.

One Hundred!?!?!? have been allocated for Canada?!?!? Ohhhhh.... Harley must be really shaking in their boots over the new Venture. Harley makes this many bikes in a day...

One Hundred!?!?!? have been allocated for Canada?!?!? Ohhhhh.... Harley must be really shaking in their boots over the new Venture. Harley makes this many bikes in a day...

They did promise to turn the touring world upside down, and you doubted them! Betcha feel silly now, huh?:rotf:

Most of us aren't really in the market for a new $25k motorcycle. BUT, if the new Venture had a 1700cc V4, I might get in the market. An air cooled V-twin makes that a 0% possibility. My wife has encouraged me to sell my two old bikes and get a newer more reliable bike, so the spouse has given me permission. Buying a new bike or a new car/truck is an emotional decision, not a necessity.

Yamaha makes business decisions based on their best information and I make personal decisions when it comes to buying vehicles. No meeting of the minds this time.

Most of us aren't really in the market for a new $25k motorcycle. BUT, if the new Venture had a 1700cc V4, I might get in the market. An air cooled V-twin makes that a 0% possibility. My wife has encouraged me to sell my two old bikes and get a newer more reliable bike, so the spouse has given me permission. Buying a new bike or a new car/truck is an emotional decision, not a necessity.

Yamaha makes business decisions based on their best information and I make personal decisions when it comes to buyi

I was not in the market for a new bike of any kind, I have my money tied up in other things right now, BUT I was moving some things around, checking to see if I could swing a new Venture if they did it right, had a test ride hooked me there was a fair chance I would have purchased. In this regard I was relieved that they stuck an aircooled twin in it because that put me right at 0% chance too. My wife is amazing but I do not accept spousal input regarding vehicle purchases or sales. The ONLY one to blame for me not buying a badass new Venture is Yamaha for not making one. Its fortunate because it would be tricky to justify on paper while im searching for a home further from the city. When it comes to bikes emotions usually prevail, which runs counter to how I have learned to make decisions.

• 1 month later...
I do like it. Shame on v4 but I'm ok with air cooled. No more plumbing issues.

Like the combined braking with abs, standard heated seats, low ride height, forward and reverse power assist for parking, traction control, riding modes, integrated audio system, voice, touch screen or handle bar controls for audio, controls, winds protection adjustable, advanced throttle, all electronic no more cruise cables or throttle cables, six speed, belt drive, same length as RSV but heavier. Also really like the huge alternator... Over 700 watts!

All in all I think they did a good job!!!

I demoed one and fell in love [emoji7] may get one in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Doc said take two bottles and call me in the morning. So I am out yo, I guess I would have to test drive this but Seriously Belt Drive..... the yamaha touring bike will never be the same, However the shaft has been the show stopper for Trike Conversions, But I would have to cut alot of weight to even attempt one of those. If they have Cat converters that would be the first thing to go, however if its computer monitored that may be more trouble then its worth.

Everyone talks about belt drive like it's a bad thing. Belts are quite less weight and deliver more power to the ground. I demoed one and loved it. Probably be my next bike.

One of the first places i went to last night after the announcement was the Victory owners site theVOG.net. These are people who ride belt drive, air cooled v-twins all over the nation, and don't think twice about it. As stated on the post above, these folks are crazy excited on what they saw from Yamaha yesterday. They will buy it and not think twice about it not being a V4, or water cooled. This is the market Yamaha wants/needs to pull buyers from to stay in the full dresser market.

If they had went the other way (V4, shaft drive, water cooled), they would be trying to pull buyers from Goldwing, BMW K1600GTL, and other assorted sport tour bikes. They simply aren't going to pull very many of those folks. And, the market isn't very large with those bikes.

When I go on vacation, and I went on one again this past March to Key West, the ratio, and I'm not over estimating this at all, of v-twin, air cooled, belt drive full dresser touring bikes on the road is easily over 80% of the bikes I see. And, I think really the percentage is higher. And, the vast majority of those are Harleys. Then the remaining 20% is made up of Goldwings, and other non v-twin bikes. It appears Yamaha believes, and I think I agree with them, that they must tap into the huge V-Twin market to stay alive in the full dresser touring market.

So, what Yamaha has created is a beautiful bike that has a honkin, high quality, torque filled V-Twin to appeal to the vast V-Twin market, but they also designed the bike to look a tad more futuristic, which might just draw a few folks from the Wing, and the K1600GTL. We'll see.

Having said all of that, I too wish it was a V4, water cooled, shaft drive beast. But, I'm beginning to start to understand why they did it.

You hit the nail on the head [emoji41]

Yeah, and Yamaha could have at least updated the bike with fuel injection and maybe updated the cassette player over the 14 years of production. They wouldn't spend a nickel on it updating it to get a larger market share. How many expensive bikes were on the market in 2013 that still had carburetors?

Everyone talks about belt drive like it's a bad thing. Belts are quite less weight and deliver more power to the ground. I demoed one and loved it. Probably be my next bike.

Regardless of all the healthy and fun :stickpoke: about what Mom Yam coulda, shoulda, oughta did or didnt do ( remembering our club is a motorcycle club where most of us LOVE yakkin bikes) = you pick up one of these gorgeous new ones and show up to a club event = ANY OF THEM, and I guarentee you and your new scoot will be the center of attention = hope your not the shy type:backinmyday:!!

Also,, PLEASE keep us all informed if you do so and please,, pretty please,,, dont forget the :photographing:'s,, lots and lots of :photographing:'s...