New Star Venture

10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it looks cool, just can't get past air cooled v-twin. And the price. Not in my immediate future.

Yep, Me too.... I even like the analog speedo and tach... I just wonder if you can log onto the internet and get on VentureRider.org with all that techno glitz?? Lifetime XM?? The price is right there with the Indian Chieftain, and under the Roadmaster with like equipment... And in sync with the Electra Glide UC with not as much glitz... Like a '58 Chevy it's growing on me... Gawd I wish I were 20 years younger....!! :backinmyday:

The more I see it, the more I like it.

fyi,, Tip has spent time on lots of HD's (close friends own em - they share =plus demo's) n plenti of Indians. Her take: new Yam is no where near as hot on her legs as other air cooled V-Twins.. Fact is, Mom Yam did amazing job of rider peg placement and rider positioning for this imho. Tip also reports back rest for her "frame" = sets to low for her comfort = she is 5' 8" - think eileen is shorter - may fit her perfect brother! Tip never liked HD seating,, she liked this one. She did not feel like she was sitting to high up like she did on a 2nd Gen or HD's. She also LOVE the buffeting protection on the windshield at full up - not as nice as our 1st Gens ihho BUT close!

I HAVE to have mid controls so I can stand up on pegs, also have to be able to stretch out - have always removed leggin fairings on my 1st Gens BUT, that said, this new one has plenty of room for long legs - think more roomy than ur Road Glide was and, being used to non removable leg guards (this one houses compenents like your 2nd gen down there) - could be no prob for you folks..

It is a NICE scoot = TOTAL Mom Yam quality - still miffed about no V-4 but slowly gettin over it lol..

As far as looks,, I think frame mounted fairing scoots are ugly = all of em.. Back when I was shippin Hogs to England the Tour Glides were NOT welcome because even over there some folks agreed with this.. That said,,,, I do think Mom Yam did put forth a valiant effort to build in some VERY sharp lines into the new one,,,,, still think someone from Polaris/Victory helped though LOL

But can we ride this bike with shorts and sandles on?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

No... lol

I know EXACTLY what your askin Snype cause I like to take my shoes off an ride barefoot occasionally and no,, not a good plan on this one.. The oxy sensor on the pipes is right below your heal on the right side = cooked piggys for sure!!

No... lol

I know EXACTLY what your askin Snype cause I like to take my shoes off an ride barefoot occasionally and no,, not a good plan on this one.. The oxy sensor on the pipes is right below your heal on the right side = cooked piggys for sure!!

I've done more then take my shoes off on bikes but.... Never street bikes.... I have already been told no by someone else to I would ask would it be wise to get boots instead of shoes? Btw it was Polaris four wheeler I'm talking about I consider that a bike of sorts...

Edited by snyper316

Cant really complain about anything I see so far. Going to test ride one first chance I get. I actually believe that big V-Twin mite be more suited to the way I like to ride on a touring bike. I rarely bounce off the rev limiter on the RSV, but I do have to do alot of downshifting to keep it in the sweetspot. In my corner of the country we hardly ever get stuck in stop and go traffic, so I doubt heat would be a major problem. Rite now price is the only thing that bothers me, never spent that kind of $$$$$ on a bike.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a chance to ride the Indian Roadmaster so I could get a feel for the differences and similarities to the new Venture (which I rode at Red Wing). The Indian was a used model (2016 I think) with a few updates. It had LOUD exhaust, an intake kit and a cam kit. The first thing I noticed was the cable operated clutch. The dealer said it was done to get better "feel". It "felt" like my hand was getting sore after a few stop lights. It handled well at slow speed, but not any better than the Venture. It seemed to get up and move better than the Venture, but it may be because this Indian was "tuned" to work with the upgrades. I liked the air management on the Venture better than the Indian. The Indian did have a moveable windshield, but the Venture had other vents you could play with to get air flow. Speaking of air flow, this Indian really got warm in my short 15 mile ride. My right leg was cooking through my jeans every time I came to a stop or even slowed down. The Venture got kinda warm, but not that warm (and it was a warmer day).

The Indian gets more style points, but I could care less about style points. It seemed smaller than the Venture. I am only 5'-10" so it wasn't really cramped, but I was glad I wasn't taller.

The Indian just didn't feel like it should cost as much as they do. The Indian had some peculiar engine noise (even above that LOUD exhaust) and seemed to have an abrupt power band. The Venture felt smoother, more relaxed and more refined.

Bottom line, though, is neither one has the fun factor of a good first generation Venture when you feel playful.

IMHO... So I went to look at the V2 yesterday and... I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack on this..., but quite frankly I wasn't impressed. There were a few things that I did like, but not enough to go WOW!!! The likes.. Huge trunk space, analog speedo and tach, seating. That's it. The dislikes.. It's a rolling computer and how many of us have a computer over five years old that hasn't crashed at least once. Too many distractions going on in front of you. One fella hovering around the display bike like a mother hen in the show room while waiting for a demo ride, was more worried about syncing his phone up and making a call while riding the demo then in riding comfort or performance. I think the whole touch screen concept idea is a hazard. When all senses need to be on alert too many distractions and decisions are going on in front of you. When we need to be more worried about that car about to pull out of that driveway, or the car next to you pulling into your lane, or the potential left hand looey, we have this entertainment system that I'm surprised doesn't pull in Netflix taking eyes, ears, and brain away from what's most important. Staying alive!! If I won the lotto would I buy one??... probably not. I guess I'm just old school. :backinmyday: I don't even like listening to the radio on a 1st or 2ndGen... Watch the scenery. Leave the computing to the desktop.

2017-08-19 10.42.06.jpg

2017-08-19 10.45.48 (Small).jpg

IMHO... So I went to look at the V2 yesterday and... I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack on this..., but quite frankly I wasn't impressed. There were a few things that I did like, but not enough to go WOW!!! The likes.. Huge trunk space, analog speedo and tach, seating. That's it. The dislikes.. It's a rolling computer and how many of us have a computer over five years old that hasn't crashed at least once. Too many distractions going on in front of you. One fella hovering around the display bike like a mother hen in the show room while waiting for a demo ride, was more worried about syncing his phone up and making a call while riding the demo then in riding comfort or performance. I think the whole touch screen concept idea is a hazard. When all senses need to be on alert too many distractions and decisions are going on in front of you. When we need to be more worried about that car about to pull out of that driveway, or the car next to you pulling into your lane, or the potential left hand looey, we have this entertainment system that I'm surprised doesn't pull in Netflix taking eyes, ears, and brain away from what's most important. Staying alive!! If I won the lotto would I buy one??... probably not. I guess I'm just old school. :backinmyday: I don't even like listening to the radio on a 1st or 2ndGen... Watch the scenery. Leave the computing to the desktop.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110102

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110103

Hey Jack,, not to let cha down brother but I gotta a sneaking hunch even that analog speedo is a wanna be - nice stuff but I think its digital - may be wrong but when riding the thing it sure didnt act analog..

My friend,, IMHO,, you, once again NAILED IT = and I gladly link arms with you on what your saying here!! We have all experienced the voo doo that is happening out there in the real world with people on phones/texting while driving a car.. Talk about stupidity in action.. Now we are having this stuff put in front of on a MOTORCYCLE :doh:,, and it is being given STAR BILLING therein :doh:,,,, what has the modern day scoot rider become:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question..

My neighbor,, who is like a brother to me,, see's me go by on my R1.. He is into HD's big time and has been for years - comes down with an AWESOME Carbon Fiber Helmet - hands it to me and says HERE = WEAR THIS when your riding that thang - GOOD NEIGHBOR!! Then he points to a blue tooth device on the side of it and says that particular one quit working but if I wanted a different one so I could listen to music while riding my R1 he had a bunch of em of which he would give me one.. I thanked him for the hat but :doh: at even the thought of being distracted on my bike....

Thankfully,, and this goes for all the brands selling this stuff with their new rides,,, all that stuff comes with an "off" switch so the rider can choose whether or not he/she wants to be distracted with the stuff..

Hey Jack,, not to let cha down brother but I gotta a sneaking hunch even that analog speedo is a wanna be - nice stuff but I think its digital - may be wrong but when riding the thing it sure didnt act analog..

The digital speedos on my RSV's jump in 5 mph increments. Besides being an LCD screen. And I hate that. That why I'm real partial to analog wrist watches, and if they're a smooth chronograph swing on the second.. that's even better. If that dial speedo on the V2 does the same thing you can scratch that one off my Like list. I don't see why they can't make a swing with 1 mph increments??? He11 they can do it for the tach. Why not for the speedo.?? OMVHO...

Quickest way to find out is shut the key off.... That Speedo will go to zero. I did that in my truck the other night that Speedo went straight to zero. Analogs haven't been since the late 80s in some cars. Which I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't had to be pulled home couple of times and no Speedo.

The analog gauge is probably digitally driven rather than with a cable, i assume this because you dont even get a throttle cable.

I feel like this bike has a ton of options I have never needed or wanted. I think the same of cars. More distraction is never good and the ability to make a call from my lid strikes me as both unpleasant and unwise. When I get on my bike its about the ride, its my metaphorical AFK button, my disconnect from a naggy digital leash. Besides ive seen to many compound fractures in my time to even want to tempt fate like that. I hope they eventually offer a stripped down version with an option list like a gen1. Maybe thats a good way to loose 200lbs and $8000 off the intercont version.

Maybe also spread the jugs out another 20 deg to get the rev limit out of the basement, and add a radiator... Crap, there I go again haha.

Quickest way to find out is shut the key off.... That Speedo will go to zero. I did that in my truck the other night that Speedo went straight to zero. Analogs haven't been since the late 80s in some cars. Which I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't had to be pulled home couple of times and no Speedo.

Before you do this though,, if your gonna do it while your in motion,, might wanna make sure the scoot aint got no fork lock on the ignition switch and if it does,, be VERY careful ya dont lock the forks while in any kind of motion... Lock that puppy and you go down quicker than a frogs tongue returning with a fly = SPLAT!!!

I know cause when I was a kid I locked one once while moving just to see if I was quicker than fate - WOWZY did I go down hard!!

Actually the speedo pick-up on the RSV's and all the shirt tail cousins comes off the final. Not the front wheel like the 1stGens... However.... since this thing doesn't have a final?? The sensor needs to be somewhere. Digital or not....

Actually the speedo pick-up on the RSV's and all the shirt tail cousins comes off the final. Not the front wheel like the 1stGens... However.... since this thing doesn't have a final?? The sensor needs to be somewhere. Digital or not....

Perhaps its a GPS driven speedo, doesnt the bike have GPS or only on the less cost effective intercont package. Could be fed right from the onboard distracting system. I doubt it but it is possible. I see aftermarket GPS speedos here and there. It would be the first bike to have a speedo that does not require math on the fly to calculate actual speed.

When I test ride I'll see if I can get the standing burnout through 4th gear and watch the speedo :biker:

Perhaps its a GPS driven speedo, doesnt the bike have GPS or only on the less cost effective intercont package. Could be fed right from the onboard distracting system. I doubt it but it is possible. I see aftermarket GPS speedos here and there. It would be the first bike to have a speedo that does not require math on the fly to calculate actual speed.

When I test ride I'll see if I can get the standing burnout through 4th gear and watch the speedo :biker:

I could see that except for one thing. Somewhere the GPS LCD output info needs to be interpreted to drive the needle of the analog face. :think: That's above my pay grade... :confused24:

I could see that except for one thing. Somewhere the GPS LCD output info needs to be interpreted to drive the needle of the analog face. :think: That's above my pay grade... :confused24:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Autometer-5880-Speedometer-GPS-Enabled-Phantom-0-140-MPH-3-3-8-in-Analog-Electr-/321845359765?nav=SEARCH

I found these because I have a Samurai with many suspension and driveline mods, it looks like this does it. How exactly it works is above my pay grade too but the tech is out there. At that price it wont be a surprise that I use an old road pilot loaded with BH trail maps.

Cant really complain about anything I see so far. Going to test ride one first chance I get. I actually believe that big V-Twin mite be more suited to the way I like to ride on a touring bike. I rarely bounce off the rev limiter on the RSV, but I do have to do alot of downshifting to keep it in the sweetspot. In my corner of the country we hardly ever get stuck in stop and go traffic, so I doubt heat would be a major problem. Rite now price is the only thing that bothers me, never spent that kind of $$$$$ on a bike.

Craig

Action Motorsports may have them in a couple of months. I will check with them every other week. :sun:

Skip to 4:20 on this video you will see no evidence of a cable.

I really like the features. The GPS, etc. is exciting. It can be learned as you go. If I only had the money to buy a fully loaded right now...:doh: Oh by the way, I guess the shifter is a press down and push up with the front of your left shoe. Hmmmm. Not so excited about that I guess.

I really like the features. The GPS, etc. is exciting. It can be learned as you go. If I only had the money to buy a fully loaded right now...:doh: Oh by the way, I guess the shifter is a press down and push up with the front of your left shoe. Hmmmm. Not so excited about that I guess.

You can order it with heal/toe shifter or add later.