IGNORED

Pig Roast at Maintenance Day

Freebird

OK folks...I'm thinking about doing a pig roast this year at my maintenance day. I just have to decide how to do it. I found a guy who will rent me just the trailer mounted roaster. I'm just worried about having time to roast a pig with all the other stuff I'm usually doing that day. The other option is that he will roast it the day before and I can just pick it up. It's a lot more expensive that way though.

The other small detail is that I have never done one before. Anybody here with any pig roasting experience that will be there to lend a hand? I am thinking about a 125 pound pig (dressed weight) and understand that it will take maybe 10 hours. That means I would have to start it VERY early in the morning if we hope to eat by 3:00 or so.

I've got a couple of thoughts, first, I'll be there fri evening and will be glad to be of any help, but havings said that, have never roasted a pig.

One other thought, is to hire a local person to be totally in charge of getting, preparing, and roasting the pig. There is no doubt that we would all to glad chip in a pay for this.

Don, you only can do so much and it might just be better if this is not on your list of responsiblilties.

Steve

As it turns out I don't think I am going to make it there again this year. But I have helped roast several pigs and as I recall all you have to do is keep the pig turning with good hot coals under it and drink lots of beer.

Don't know about 5 am though, might just have to start the night before.......:clap2:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Jerry

I've cooked smaller pigs (60 lb range) and they took about 6-7 hrs, so I think you're going to have to start it pretty early for a 3 pm feed. As long as you keep the coals hot, it's pretty much a low maintenance procedure. Rub the carcass down with garlic, inside and out. Keep a spray bottle full of water handy, to spray the pig every 30 minutes or so (that's the time frame I used). The later in the morning/afternoon it got the bigger the time span was. The other thing that may have contibuted to my cooking time, was the height of the pig over the coals. I had rented a machine also, that was probably suited for a bigger pig, so it was up a little higher than it should have been, but I would still say you're looking at 10-12 hrs minimum. The most important thing to do is tap the keg early, just to make sure it's pouring properly, that is the most critical procedure, for a couple of reasons : 1.) Standing next to a big thing of hot coals makes you thirsty, 2.) By the time you think the pig is done and you find out it isn't, you won't really care. Just spark up the grille and finish cooking the pieces as you carve them off, it still tastes very very good (had to do that once).

Hey, we are planning on being there and will gladly help cook, but I never roasted a pig before?? I would be happy to donate to have someone else do it:whistling: After watching you guys run around last year, do you really want to add something else to your to-do list:no-no-no:

Craig

Love to help eat it, can help watch it (it's what I did the last time somebody cooked one), and I'm bringing my scissors to help cut the grass! Love the pig idea and will help with contribution if needed!!!

Dan

We did one about 10 yrs ago but I'll be darned how we did it. I remember we got the pig split and didn't go with rotating it because the hardest part is getting it right on the spit. I think it would be worth everyone kicking in to have someone else do it, probably 15-20 a head minimum, but it's your call boss.

PS I have no problem helping with the grilling like last year.

By the way, if there is anybody coming who has roasted a pig and is willing to help out, I could probably arrange free room and board at my house so we can get an early start on Saturday morning. :)

Is there still tent space available? :cool10:

Stuff him full of apples and keep him smeared with jelly and he'll be juicy and sweet!!!!

Or stuff him with cheesecake (not hard), he will be too stuffed to escape the spit......:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Oh, a 4 legged pig is going on the spit..... Disregard, my comment above........:rotf::rotf:

Great idea Boss. But unless you get some volunteers to cook the pig I say hire it done. You and others have enough going on without adding more work for yourselves. You all need to enjoy the time too and not just be work hogs.

Yea I see you're not asking or setting any prices there to attend your cookout but even with a donation jar you might reconsider some sort of minumin cover charge. Especially if hiring the pig cooking done.

just my :2cents: here.

Larry

Tweetybird....

Lonna and I talked about shooting up Thursday night after I get off of work. I know how busy these are, still recovering from last year. We can make a pig happen regardless and give you a hand on Friday before the masses show up....I'll be in touch :)

OK folks...I'm thinking about doing a pig roast this year at my maintenance day. I just have to decide how to do it. I found a guy who will rent me just the trailer mounted roaster. I'm just worried about having time to roast a pig with all the other stuff I'm usually doing that day. The other option is that he will roast it the day before and I can just pick it up. It's a lot more expensive that way though.

The other small detail is that I have never done one before. Anybody here with any pig roasting experience that will be there to lend a hand? I am thinking about a 125 pound pig (dressed weight) and understand that it will take maybe 10 hours. That means I would have to start it VERY early in the morning if we hope to eat by 3:00 or so.

I have assisted my cousin Many, Many times with butchering a hog and hog roasts. It really isn't that difficult once you get it started. I could get all the instructions from him and then help you. Let me know.

Jay

Don, i also would suggest to let it do someone else. There is plenty enough to be done by yourself, your Wife and others that are usually the same Persons. And most of this can't be done by others.

If there's nobody with Experience in Pig Roasting, there's a fair Chance that it doesn't work out like you would have it. i.e. done too early or ready to eat too late. Such big Cookouts needs a special Treatment which needs Experience. It doesn't need to be seen as a Screwup, but i now it from myself, if it's not like i think it should be, i'm not happy.

Well I may end up letting the guy do it. He said he could actually do it the day before and I could just come pick it up or he could do it at my place that day. Doing it that day though would mean eating late.

Roadkill, if we do it ourself, I will buy a pig ready to cook. I've already found a source for them. It will be butchered and cleaned already.

If you pick up the piggie the night before and let it warm up overnight, you will cut hours off of the cooking time. Just keep it wrapped in plastic, and throw a sleeping bag over it, but it needs to be a fresh piggie. Having it done too early is no problem, it can wait for an hour or two before carving. I would come and do the roasting, but I think it wouldn't get started until about noon. Half the fun is watching the piggie roast and the eating is much better right from the roaster so I suggest that the day before is not ideal, it's ok but not what you're looking for I think. If you want someone to carve it, I should be there in time to fix that issue, I do, did a few in my time. If you use brickettes with charcoal you find the heat is better and it extends the charcoal big time, use about half and half. 200 lbs souds like a lot of charcoal.

Roadkill, if we do it ourself, I will buy a pig ready to cook. I've already found a source for them. It will be butchered and cleaned already.

Yeah, I figured you would. Just meant I have been involved from start to finish. Just let me know what you decide. I can be there anytime you tell me to be.

Yeah, I figured you would. Just meant I have been involved from start to finish. Just let me know what you decide. I can be there anytime you tell me to be.

Jay I Can Be your right hand as helper. I Have some expirence with pig roast, as well I can help to keep beer cold.

OK Don, I'll be the stupid one. I have looked all over the site and can't find the dates for Maintenance Day. Could you please post it here for stupids like me ???!!!!! If at all possible I would like to try to make it this year. Thanks in advance.