IGNORED

What will your next bike be?

mcompton1973

Just curious what your next bike will be if you get one and why?

I am loving my 86 right now, so I am not in a hurry to change. I do think if I got something different it would be something like the VStrom1000. Not that I need a true duel sport...but my bike now makes the 2 miles of gravel to the highway seem awfully long. lol. I think I would like being able to remove bags and have a more 'naked' bike for running to work or something, but be able to load it up for trips still.

Well I have been folding off on a new Venture but it did not happen till I got the urge to jump on a V Star 1300 tour. Now I will hold off till it is almost paid for then trade it for either a Venture or a Slingshot and right now the Slingshot has the most votes.

Hey Comp,,, there's a KTM Adventurer with those pannier side cases on it for sale down the street from me.. I know nothing about it but I do know those are pretty neat scoots as far as Adventure bikes go as I use to have buddies that had em.. If you would like I can get you a phone number if I see it outside again (it was down by the lake - not even sure what house right now) - just give the word..

I am bucket listing and picked up an, always wanted to have R1 Yamaha.. Wayyy fun!! I could go on for hours with how impressed I am with it and how glad I am I grabbed one..

Been riding 1st Gen's for many years now for most of my touring needs and will probably end up with another one after I finish wearing out this latest one. I have had many scoots thru the years and LOVE old school stuff. Not to long ago sold my war bike (42 WLA) to help with medical bills - wow was that a fun machine with TONS of rich history.. Not real sure that another is in my future,, have owned lots of Harley's (LOVE EM) with numerous Shovels under my belt.. Built numerous Chops and still LOVE the long bike ride. Did have a 59 magneto XLCH Sporty I chopped using an old 10 over Grass Hopper front end and a Amen frame I reworked to rake match the forks - came out nice.. Had a 16 over Cali Springer I stuck on an old Santee Softride frame I reworked for that fitment - WOW was that a fun bike - probably the best rider of all the Chops I ever built or owned - rode it to Sturgis numerous times = there is NOTHING like a real good Springered long bike on the open road!! That one was 71 SOHC 750 Honda motored and it ran great!!

Thinking about your question,, I seriously have no for sure direction on my future bike purchase.. There is some desire inside,, possibly bucket list,, for a V-8 powered scoot = Boss Hoss... Beyond that, possibly do another ground up Chop,,, maybe using a crunched new Sporty 883 converted to a 1200 so I get the good gear ratio's.. I have always built off swap meet stuff,, maybe this time by a brand new Paucho 18 over narrow Springer and have a frame jig built to match it.. Do a Soft Tail mono on air so my back can handle it..

Dont know.. For sure I am gonna have to get tired of this R1.. To old to go back to single trackin or MXin on a KX500,, probably wont be threatening no kids in the woods...

Hmmmm,, good question,, good thread!! Cant wait to see what others post up..

01flh (6).JPG

DSCN4184.JPG

DSCN3726.JPG

DSCN3679.JPG

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 015.jpg

rippennn 045.jpg

DSCN1763.JPG

wow (20).JPG

DSCN3226.JPG

ti3 (178).JPG

73honda74tc185jasonwallpics 021.jpg

wow (14).JPG

DSCN8377.JPG

ti3 (116).JPG

drnb.JPG

drn.JPG

Not looking to make any changes anytime soon, but I think I'd like to try a trike.

Either a Venture or Goldwing with (I think) a Hannigan kit on it.

I think I'd feel safer with the wife on the back on a trike.......dunno....

:guitarist 2:

Well, the new Venture got me looking at new bikes in general again. If I were to buy a new bike today its likely to be an Indian Scout (1200cc water cooled vtwin) or its little brother the Indian Scout 60 (same bike w 1000cc water cooled vtwin), or its cousin the Victory Octane which is a slightly souped up version of the 1200cc engine.

In one sense these bikes are just downsized versions of the new Venture, which I judge to be too big and heavy for my riding style and my 5foot 8inch self. I've come close to pulling the trigger on one this past week.

Hey Puc! That Honda 305cc Superhawk brings back memories of good times. I rode one while in college and Army in the late 60's.

I loved those old 305 Superhawks. If I remember correctly, the kick starter kicked forward instead of backwards. That's one bike that I never owned and always wanted to. Had a friend that had one and I managed to ride it a few times. Cool bikes.

I'm actually very happy with the Venture, it's a great tourer, comfy, user friendly, reliable so far, decent power handles deceptively well. I'm happy with the Vmax, it's perfect for hills days and for when I feel more spirited. So adding another bike to the mix would require a bike to do something my others dont do. So probably a BMW GS, Triumph Tiger or Vstrom 1000 something that can be used on the street but also competent off in the hills. Aint nothing like getting away from it all.

Great thread.

I've been looking at Goldwings lately as well as ST1300s and even V-stroms. Don't know if I will actually buy one, but I like to look and that is what starts it. My 85 ZN700 is fun around town but it needs a much better seat to ride any distance. When you get much over 500 lbs, bikes tend to get much harder to handle in town and the ZN weighs about 525lbs with a full tank.

I think I'm with you Bongobob, if what I have will last 25 more years I'll be happy. I told my Yamy dealer that if the new Venture was 4 cyl, water cooled and efi I would be in to put my money down, didn't happen. But then again if I found my old '74 RD400 I might have to re-think my position!!

I've been looking at Goldwings lately as well as ST1300s and even V-stroms. Don't know if I will actually buy one, but I like to look and that is what starts it. My 85 ZN700 is fun around town but it needs a much better seat to ride any distance. When you get much over 500 lbs, bikes tend to get much harder to handle in town and the ZN weighs about 525lbs with a full tank.

My VStar 950 Tourer weighs in at 650lbs and is easy peesy to roll around town. Plus it cruises all day at 75-80. Gets buzzy up there but it's a high rpm V Twin...that goes like heck. The only downside is it's easy to scrape the floorboards on the twisties. But...since I cruise with it, doesn't bother me at all. Plus, Yamaha put replaceable inserts on the bottom that throw off nice sparks at night!

I recommend it. If you are looking for a bike that is excellent around town as well as cruising light distances (I go 150-200 miles between Tucson/Phoenix/Payson at a stretch)...I don't think there's a better scoot out there...I've never met an easier bike to handle.

20170409_183822.jpg

I've been exploring the idea of selling mine as I have 3 scoots...but really do enjoy riding it!

Regarding a new bike. Sigh. I love riding the 1st Gen. It's fast, comfortable and handles like a dream. I thoroughly enjoy riding the 2nd Gen. It's quiet, very comfortable and loves eating up the miles. And the 950T...it's my go-to bike for daily zinging around southern Arizona. Need milk, hop on the 950. Want to go visit the mountains nearby...hop on the 950. At 50mpg, I can do whatever I want and it costs me zip. So I have a conundrum here. Do I sell 2 out of 3 and get the new Yamaha? If so, which one do I keep? Until I have the answer to that question...I guess no new bike for me.

Edited by videoarizona

My VStar 950 Tourer weighs in at 650lbs and is easy peesy to roll around town. Plus it cruises all day at 75-80. Gets buzzy up there but it's a high rpm V Twin...that goes like heck. The only downside is it's easy to scrape the floorboards on the twisties. But...since I cruise with it, doesn't bother me at all. Plus, Yamaha put replaceable inserts on the bottom that throw off nice sparks at night!

I recommend it. If you are looking for a bike that is excellent around town as well as cruising light distances (I go 150-200 miles between Tucson/Phoenix/Payson at a stretch)...I don't think there's a better scoot out there...I've never met an easy bike to handle.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109423

I've been exploring the idea of selling mine as I have 3 scoots...but really do enjoy riding it!

Regarding a new bike. Sigh. I love riding the 1st Gen. It's fast, comfortable and handles like a dream. I thoroughly enjoy riding the 2nd Gen. It's quiet, very comfortable and loves eating up the miles. And the 950T...it's my go-to bike for daily zinging around southern Arizona. Need milk, hop on the 950. Want to go visit the mountains nearby...hop on the 950. At 50mpg, I can do whatever I want and it costs me zip. So I have a conundrum here. Do I sell 2 out of 3 and get the new Yamaha? If so, which one do I keep? Until I have the answer to that question...I guess no new bike for me.

I have friends (I do! Really!) who have the V Star 950 & they love 'em. Nice riding position too. & after riding on an RSTD they feel so light.

I recommend it. If you are looking for a bike that is excellent around town as well as cruising light distances (I go 150-200 miles between Tucson/Phoenix/Payson at a stretch)...I don't think there's a better scoot out there...I've never met an easy bike to handle.

I might end up with a cruiser. Who knows? But I have a character flaw. I just don't like the looks of cruisers or anything that is styled like a Harley. And I'm sure that V twins are better designed today but in the past I had a CB350 Honda parallel twin and it was a great starter bike but it did have a nasty high frequency vibration (because it turned 6,500rpm at 60mph). Later I had a Yamaha Virago that vibrated and was underpowered so I decided no more vibrating underpowered twins for me. I might be tempted by the Vstrom 90 degree twin or the BMW R bike but I don't know. Yeah, I know. I'm weird!

I really like this David = especially the part about the sparking floorboard thingy's... That right there is almost enough to make me start searching for one :big-grin-emoticon:..

and someone called me a geezer - NA NA DEEEE BOO BOO!! :missingtooth:

I was thinking. When the new Venture comes out I will trade in my 2010. Now that the new Venture is here and I have seen the specs I will keep the one I have. Perhaps in a few years I will look at a Honda.

Mike

If I ever have another bike....................................... With my age, inseam and knees, I am getting too uncomfortable in handling an 800lb bike that I can not sit flat footed on.

Randy

After our 2 up ride last Sunday to our favorite breakfast about 2 hours away, I feel like I am in getting to this situation and although I haven't said anything to my wife yet, it has been seriously bothering me all week.

I bought an 02 Midnight Venture which was my second. The first was an 06 Midnight Venture that I had to sell in 08 when the economy crashed. When I got the 02, I lowered the front 1 " by raising the forks tubes and lowered the rear with the Baron's kit. It handled very well for me because of my short inseam.

Last fall, I had the opportunity to buy an 08 Standard Venture with under 5K on the clock for a ridiculously cheap price so I returned the 02 Midnight suspension back to stock with the intention of lowering the 08 like I did on the 02.

For thos eof you that haven't ridden a Midnight vs Standard Venture, The seats are very different. The seat on the Midnight is much stiffer than the pillow seat on the Standard. With the Midnight with the stiffer seat, there was no way I could flat foot. With the pillow seat on the 08 and the switch to Avon Cobra tires, I could easily flat foot so I decided not to lower it.

Well back to the Sunday ride. Right from the get go, I didn't feel all that comfortable 2up coming to stops ro starting out from stops. Then when we came out of the restaurant, I couln't get the bike upright no matter how hard I tried. I had to dismount, stand the bike up, then swing my leg over it while holding it steady upright. Not an easy task. This has never happened to me on any bike. The ride home was dismal for me. Slow maneuvers, stop and goes seemed like I was working overtime the whole way. The bike bike just felt heavier than usual. Although she didn't say anything, I knew my wife new something was up. Funny how after 37 years of marriage that we can pick things on each other. Of course when I got home, I checked the suspension and tires pressures and they checked out fine.

Took the bike out solo a few days ago and it felt great. Unfortunately, the RSV is used mostly just for 2 up riding. I have plenty of other bikes for solo riding. I am not giving up yet. I love the RSV too much to give up that easily. I am going to lower the front this week when I get time to see if that helps. If that does not get me where I want to be, I will put my Baron's rear lowering kit on it to help lower the center of gravity.

If that doesn't work, I am going to have to start looking for another tourer. I have no idea what it will be yet. I already eliminated the Gold Wing. Nice bike, but last one I owned made me feel like I was old. I sold my 2nd Road Star recently as I like my bikes to be a little smoother so maybe used Indian or Vulcan cruiser is next on the list?

Always thought that at my age, the RSV would be my last tourer, but the last 2 up ride has me very concerned that it won't be.

I might end up with a cruiser. Who knows? But I have a character flaw. I just don't like the looks of cruisers or anything that is styled like a Harley.

Here is another view! No Harley here...

20170221_120248.jpg

Here it is next to an HD Ultra Classic

IMG_20150919_115245_137.jpg

Picture taken up on the Mogollon Rim about 100 miles NE of Phoenix....

I really like this David = especially the part about the sparking floorboard thingy's... That right there is almost enough to make me start searching for one :big-grin-emoticon:..

and someone called me a geezer - NA NA DEEEE BOO BOO!! :missingtooth:

Puc my friend, I love your posts, (well most of 'em) we've never met so I wouldn't presume to call you a Geezer, (you may be one, but I wouldn't call you one! :whistling:besides you might be bigger than me!) it was more a reference to myself :fingers-crossed-emo phew! hope that gets me out of the hot seat! LOL :beer:

don't want to be in the Pucter's naughty boy book.