IGNORED

A day without women was today

ragtop69gs

It had no effect on us. Wife went to work as usual to serve her residents and earn her pay. She is steadfast reliable, her residents, employer, and coworkers know that hey can count on her at all times. Regardless of gender that is critical, in my field shirking your obligations and responsibilities to demonstrate would be considered unprofessional and probably a career limiting move.

Thought that was yesterday owell they asked one women what she hoped to accomplish and she replied for my daughter to not have to march to protect her rights.... Did I miss something somewhere?

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Thought that was yesterday owell they asked one women what she hoped to accomplish and she replied for my daughter to not have to march to protect her rights.... Did I miss something somewhere?
Sad to say Snyper, you missed everything. :smile5:

They were not considered intelligent enough to vote in our countries, that's yours and mine, until 1920 and even as late as 1971 in some European countries. There are still countries that refuse the vote to women. It wasn't until around the 90's that a woman could get a bank loan without her husband's signature and even then they often had to fight for it. A woman is unlikely to get paid the same as a man for doing exactly the same job. There are countries where women are not allowed to get an education, not allowed to drive, get stoned to death if they get raped. The stupidities relating to the oppression of women go on and on from huge to cruel to the insignificant.

There is little that can be done with regard to other countries but you can make a difference in your own country just be becoming aware of what is going on around you.

:happy-emoticon:

Well I know about the other countries, I also know that women here in Missouri either make the same or more then men... Now I won't say every place does but the places I have worked did... However I feel my gf and several others got screwed out of wages when she was making 9.40 an hour and the had across the board increase to 10 an hour... She didn't keep her 40 cent raise....

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Women here and when I was on the west coast generally make the same or more then men. When someone makes less than average in a given field there are factors at play other than gender. Those that go to work on time and stay the day without leaving to tend to sick kids, school plays, piano recitals, 90 min lunches, me time et al do better. Those with educational credentials, experience and skills make more along with those with a record of being reliable and capable. Ive worked with some remarkable women who were properly compensated and others who were always lesving for personal reasons, like kids, and everyone else had to cover and do their work, ya know the ones that treat it more like a hobby than a job? Its not just some women either, some dudes do this. I think most of them understand why they make less money and have less respect, the ones that dont end up marching and demonstrating. I think this protest is a few decades too late.

My wife is too dedicated, honest, fair, and sensible not to go to work. Plus we like to spend. So she left the house @ 0600 as usual. I took a ride on my RSV. She returned home from work at 1900. It was a typical day for us.

Yep, just like an American pimp, I got the lady working.

Oh, I did forget to mention diner was ready when she got home.

Seriously, she does work a long hours and is a great wife. I am retired and she is not yet there. So I am the house husband now.

My wife retired 10 years before me at that time we were keeping up two places she suggested if I bought her a Zero turn mower she would take care of the yard work. We now have one place and she is on her 2nd Zero turn mower best investments I ever made.:cool10:

I think this protest is a few decades too late.
Probably not. The gap is probably becoming more even as time passes but there is no acceptable reason for not requiring equal pay for equal work across the board. Of course pay rates are not the only gender issues that need to be dealt with but they are probably the simplest to correct.

Anyone who thinks gender issues are imagined probably also disputes global warming as well. I'm not pointing fingers here as things are no different up here in the "51st" state. A lot of people have their heads stuck up their collective butts.

Courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap_in_the_United_States

The gender pay gap in the United States is the ratio of female to male median yearly earnings among full-time, year-round (FTYR) workers.

The average woman's unadjusted annual salary has been cited as 78%[2] to 82%[3] of that of the average man's. However, after adjusting for choices made by male and female workers in college major, occupation, working hours, and parental leave, multiple studies find that pay rates between males and females varied by 5–6.6% or, females earning 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts. The remaining 6% of the gap has been speculated to originate from deficiency in salary negotiation skills and gender discrimination.[4][5][6][7]

The extent to which discrimination plays a role in explaining gender wage disparities is somewhat difficult to quantify, due to a number of potentially confounding variables. A 2010 research review by the majority staff of the United States Congress Joint Economic Committee reported that studies have consistently found unexplained pay differences even after controlling for measurable factors that are assumed to influence earnings – suggestive of unknown/unmeasurable contributing factors of which gender discrimination may be one.[8] Other studies have found direct evidence of discrimination – for example, more jobs went to women when the applicant's sex was unknown during the hiring process.[8]

A study of graduates of the University of Michigan Law School between 1972 and 1975 examined the gender wage gap while matching men and women for possible explanatory factors such as occupation, age, experience, education, time in the workforce, childcare, average hours worked, grades while in college, and other factors. After accounting for all that, women were paid 81.5% of what men "with similar demographic characteristics, family situations, work hours, and work experience" were paid.

Similarly, a comprehensive study by the staff of the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that the gender wage gap can only be partially explained by human capital factors and "work patterns." The GAO study, released in 2003, was based on data from 1983 through 2000 from a representative sample of Americans between the ages of 25 and 65. The researchers controlled for "work patterns," including years of work experience, education, and hours of work per year, as well as differences in industry, occupation, race, marital status, and job tenure. With controls for these variables in place, the data showed that women earned, on average, 20% less than men during the entire period 1983 to 2000. In a subsequent study, GAO found that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Department of Labor "should better monitor their performance in enforcing anti-discrimination laws."

I'm kinda curious as to how there's a pay disparity, considering that such disparity has been illegal since the early 60s.

I think so-called feminist groups and their lawyers just want to make it easier to sue, thus heightening the PC culture we have today.

If we live in a society where Women truly are doing the same work for less pay, then I ask you......Why don't businesses hire more women than men to do these jobs, when there would be an obvious money savings.....???

Are businesses just that stupid???....Or do they put their collective chauvinism ahead of profit?

I guess I just don't understand.

Also interesting to note that Women have a higher rate of graduation from high school, a higher graduation rate from college, and there's more women currently attending college than men.

Men have a higher suicide rate, irregardless of which, women have a longer life span.

As far as the global warming thing goes, they've found that contrary to popular claims, higher CO2 levels do NOT cause global warming, but rather global warming causes higher CO2 levels.

Going back through history they've found that the higher CO2 levels tend to start happening a few hundred years after a warming trend starts. The CO2 levels lag behind the temperature increase.

Having said that,...I do believe in global warming, ....I just don't believe it to be anthropomorphic, .....nor do I believe we need to give governments gads of money and inflict damage to our economy just so we can feel like we're doing something good for Mother Earth that will ultimately have no negligible effect.

:soapbox: Peace Out

I see the equal pay for equal work thing play out every day at work.

There is one woman machinist in our shop. The quality of the parts she makes is equal to what any of the men produce. But she does make a bit less pay than those around her. Her job description is the same, her job title is the same, and her actual duties are the same. The problem that none of these studies takes into account is that she is physically able to only do 95% of the job. When it comes time to lift something heavy into her machine during setup and tear down, one of the men near her has to stop what he is doing to help her do her job. Once this was pointed out to her she was able to accept that she should get less because her

"equal work" was only on paper.

I have absolutely no problem with equal pay for equal work if the work is truly equal. I also have no issue with pay inequality if the work is also not completely equal. I don't even have a problem with a woman making more if her work is actually better than the mans work.

Im also opposed to anyone doing the same work making less money, but as stated, the same job is not the same as the same work. I work in healthcare, specifically nursing. This field is about 90% female. I have an AA RN, when a female with a BSN RN makes more, I get it, and I make more than an LPN. Im always at work, stay late and never let my personal life interfere which puts me in a minority but I'm sure not alone in that. I work in geriatrics/Long Term Care. Those in the he ER and ICU make more than I do, just the way it is. I get perks for my effectiveness and reliability that others in my position may not, and yet others do. A notable majority of women that I work with regularly allow personal, family and social issues to interfere with work, and when it does guess who gets to take up the slack? When they make as much as I do I find it offensive and unfair. I left a job over these issues before, no protest, just moved onto a better atmosphere.

Things have a way of balancing out but what I do see is that females willing ng to put in the work and time, and have comparable skills/talent do as well or better than their male counterparts. I know that many male physicians make more than female physicians holding same credentials and practice but when actual hours worked are figured many females make more per hour. Im looking for these studies right now.

We have made great strides in this country in getting everyone paid fairly regardless of gender, race, nationality or lifestyle and thats fantastic. Im not sure we'll ever knock out discrimination 100% but we have arrived at a point where anyone willing and able to dedicate themselves can reap the fruits. Another thing noteworthy is that anyone treated unfairly is free to move to the next employer. Not everyone is willing to go where the money is and that is another factor that could be hard to measure in a study. I work with and know some remarkable women, some deserving higher wages than myself, so its not a chauvinism thing im doing, its just the way it is.