IGNORED

First Time in 52 Years

Evan

My favourite motorcycle that I have owned over my 52 years of owning and riding was hurt today, and this was my first riding accident in those 52 years. A guy in a new F150 did an illegal right turn at an intersection right in front of me and my only option was to crash into his front fender at about 30 mph. Several pedestrians saw the incident and were shocked that I was not seriously hurt. I feel that the accident would have been much worse on most other bikes and I was able to walk away after being thrown from the bike. I sure like my 88 VR and I hope it can be restored, although I am not optimistic that will be possible.

Here is a pic of the guy's fender.

June 15 2016 Accident.jpg

Wow.....glad you are OK @Evan!!! Looks like you hit pretty hard to damage that "Military grade Aluminum Ford fender" the way it did. Any pictures of the damage to your bike?

Betcha it scared the heck out of you seeing that Ford make a right he shouldn't have. Stay safe, and nice MKII's are still out there if you need to replace rather then fix your faithful 88 VR.

Sure glad you were not hurt Evan. I am assuming you were by your self which is also probably a good thing. Not sure what your damages are but I have a 88 parts bike if you do decide to fix her up. post some pics of the bike nothing in the way of body parts but frame and front end parts may be of some use. If you decide to buy it back from the insurance company and fix it that is.

Sure glad you were not hurt Evan. I am assuming you were by your self which is also probably a good thing. Not sure what your damages are but I have a 88 parts bike if you do decide to fix her up. post some pics of the bike nothing in the way of body parts but frame and front end parts may be of some use. If you decide to buy it back from the insurance company and fix it that is.

Yes, Ben, I was solo. However my wife Anne just happened to be returning to the city in our vehicle and saw a motorcycle on its side and a guy plus two officers close by. Then she noticed it was me. By then, I was able to tell her that I was not damaged. I will go to the collision reporting centre tomorrow and get the ball rolling re repair or not.

Glad you left your mark on his new truck. Glad you were able to walk away. Too many times the rider is down due to the stupid actions of the cager who just drves off. Need pics of the bike.

Glad you're ok.

Maybe you can leave "your mark" on his insurance too. I think there should be a law that requires idiots to be sued when they cause a motorcycle crash.

Yes, Ben, I was solo. However my wife Anne just happened to be returning to the city in our vehicle and saw a motorcycle on its side and a guy plus two officers close by. Then she noticed it was me. By then, I was able to tell her that I was not damaged. I will go to the collision reporting centre tomorrow and get the ball rolling re repair or not.

If they allow you to buy the bike back keep two things in mind. 1 make sure it does not get branded. This usually pretty much means you cannot put the bike back on the road and 2 remember they original told me $1300.00 to buy mine back a month later it dropped to $220.00.

Evan, sorry to hear about your crash, but really glad you were not seriously hurt!! These bikes are pretty tough, hopefully you can get her fixed up. If not I hope you can find a really nice 1st gen to replace her.

Take care, Craig

Wow, just read this, boy am I behind.

Glad you are ok Evan and as stated, don't sign off on anything, older bodies tend to show signs a bit later sometimes.

You still have the 86 don't you? Change the seat and some farkle and you'll feel right at home.

Bet you scared Anne when she arrived there.

Keep in mind that the insurance company will go on line to price your bike and offer the lowest they see, but that doesn't mean the bike they're looking at is road worthy. It may need a lot to get it up to road worthy standard.

keep us posted

Evan: Just seen this.. I am so happy to hear you are OK. I know how much you like that bike.. At least you have something to ride while you figure this out.. If there is anything I can do to help out let me know.. By the way.. let us know how you are feeling today and tomorrow.. sometimes these things take a day or two to show up..