IGNORED

Can someone talk me off the ledge???

BG Hawks

Currently ride a 2006 RSV with 23k miles and I know that its the best hidden secret in the touring bike arena! It's starting to warm up here in Iowa and been thinking its time to get the bike out and I do love to ride her. Problem is, the last couple of years I have been thinking Goldwing. Honestly, I have not even road one but still think I want one mainly because of the weight being low and centered. I'm not 100% sure I would like the feet position as I really like throwing my feet out front. If I move to another bike the RSV has to go as I can't keep both; my rules. Just don't have the time to ride both!

HELP!!!!

By all means you really need to take a decent test ride on one to see if you fit good on it. Depending on how long legged you are there are foot pegs that can be added but no matter what you get you'll be spreading your feet apart. May or may not bother you but you won't know till you ride a Wing.

no help here, I did just what you are talking about back in July of 2014, for the same reason you are looking. I really loved my Venture, but it just got to where it was to top heavy for my old knees. The Goldwing is different, the ergonomics are different, but the balance and power in my mind make up for the differences.

One of the first things I did was to install a set of Kuryaken floorboards they let you more your feet a bit more forward than stock pegs. Later I installed a set of mini-boards that mount to the engine crash bars, they let me stretch as much as I need when the need arises.

I will say this, the fit and finish on the Venture is better than on the Goldwing and the ride is not as soft or plush as the Venture, the suspension on my 2013 is stiff, which improves the handling, but the ride quality suffers some.

Do try and get a test ride, you will probably be hooked if you do.

I've been pondering the same thing. My 06 RSV has double the miles yours has and the only thing I've had to do to it other than routine maintenance is replace the fuel pump relay. I like my bike and the amenities it has such as CB (won't mention tape deck). If Yamaha would come out with an upgraded RSV I think I'd be in the market. Our local Honda shop has a left over new 15 GW for 19,400. It is black and silver and gets my attention. No doubt GW sets the standard in many areas in touring. Like other have said, test ride one or better yet if you have a riding buddy that has one maybe you could take a day ride and swap out. I'm back and forth on pulling the trigger on a GW but for now I think I'll keep the 06 for awhile. Another thing is that around here it seems everybody rides a Harley or GW and I like being a little different. Bill

Venture is more comfortable and easier to maintain, however the Wing has more power and the handling is great plus a few extra amenities. Like Larry said you really need to test ride one for a couple hundred miles at least.

I went from a RSV to a GW 1800 a few years back.. don't take anything I say negatively towards the RSV, but I will never go back to one.

The first 200 - 300 miles on a wing are what I call the "New Experience" ride. You will not get used a wing in 50 or 100 miles that is for sure..

After the new experience / breakin, (Im talking about YOU the rider here), you become more attached and find that your legs are really not feeling as spread apart as they felt during those first 100 miles.

Every mile you consume, you become more and more infatuated with power and overall handling.

The wing is not a light bike, and it becomes much heavier after you and your loved one loads up what both of you think is a "must have" for the ride you are about to go on.

As mentioned a few times above, you need to take one on a LONG ride.. renting one (even for a whole weekend) is a great suggestion. If it cost's you $350 bucks for the weekend that is a lot cheaper than buying a wing and not wanting it after you bought it..

I'm 6'4" tall, I'm a big guy for this Bike, & 275 lbs and I make it look like a toy scooter under me. I also have a 34 inseam. so I'm all legs.. I'm some what comfy on the pegs, But yes I love my legs out on the highway bars. I have them set, as far front of the engine guards as they will go.

Can't talk you from a ledge that I have already been off of. I went from an 07 RSV to a 2010 GW. I feel the same as Eck. While the RSV is a great bike and comfortable, the Goldwing offers more. It took me a while to make the GW comfortable for me. Had to get the highway pegs adjusted just right, handlebar risers helped, and a larger windshield to help with the wind. The handling and performance is far superior on the GW. I just couldn't see buying a new RSV with a 10 year old design.

Thanks all! I know I'm just going to have to try one. Scary part is that I know I will want one even more. You all got me thinking about when I got the RSV and I had to learn how to ride her as she was quite different then my 1100 vstar. I have been around awhile and its a great place to hang out.

Also Freebird, I hope some day to attend one of your maintenance days!! Been hard as the kids were younger but growing up now! I will certainly add my 2 cents on the right post.

It's starting to warm up here in Iowa and been thinking its time to get the bike out and I do love to ride her.

HELP!!!!

LOL.... Brace yourself. There's a polar vortex headed your way. My son is helping a buddy build a house addition in Harris IA, and he calls with daily updates. According to the weather gods he ain't out of the refrigerator yet.... Like everyone sez. Go take a Wing test ride..

I think we are all pretty much in the same boat.

Yamaha has to get back into the game pretty quick or a lot of riders will switch to other Brands of Touring bikes.

I have been waiting for Yamaha to update the RSV, before I make a switch. My 08 has been the most comfortable

for me and the wife. I'm 6'3 250# or so, extended legs so the Goldwing is only a problem for me in the foot position.

I'm going to hold off for one year to see if Yamaha catches up before I go back to a Wing. I will stay with a water cooled engine, just need a little more power and fuel injection to make me happy. I'm not a big gadget guy.

But everyone is different and you should ride what you like. I'm the only RSV rider I see at rallies or get-together's out here even though there is a couple of Venture Rider members in the area. It's this part of the country. The largest group

are Harley riders, with Goldwings Second.

The same thought stays in my mind a I continue to rack up the mileage, but that is what the First and Second Gens

were designed to do.

I think Goldwings are awesome bikes. I, like others, have been known to say they are the gold standard. However, they don't fit me. I'm 6'6", with a 36" inseam, and I have test ridden them more than once trying to convince myself that I could own one, but the front of my knees rub against the fairing, and when I put my feet out on the highway pegs, It's so freakin wide it just feels annoying. Also, when my feet are on the highway pegs, the outside edges of the fairing push against the inside of my calf to the point that it would drive me crazy to be experiencing that all the time.

Another thing is; I like different things. There are 40 bazziliion Goldwings out there, and even though I know they are a phenomenal machine, they've been the same for so long, that I get a yawn feeling when I see one. (Except for the red and black anniversary edition one). LOL. I once watched a Discovery Channel program on how they made the newest version of the Goldwing. Wow! That dude was designed by Honda's top sport bike designer, and the when you take all of the plastic off of it, its just a big honkin sport bike. Hence, the handling being so sweet.

One final thought: I'm starting to kind of rethink the Goldwing as being the "Gold Standard" of touring. It's hard to not say the Harley Electra Glide Ultra wouldn't be the gold standard. Man, I felt weird typing that. LOL. But, that bike has been around way longer than the Goldwing, and while we know that it has had it's share of low quality years in the past, the past decade has been very good to that line of bikes. And, the redesigned Rushmore Edition put it on a top level. And, it outsells all of the other touring bike brand brands combined. Just a thought.

The RSV with the pillow top seats are so much more comfortable than any goldwing I have had starting with a new 1978, 85, 89, 98, 05, 07, 08 and back to an RSV with one in between somewhere. Pretty sure I missed a wing or two, point is the wing has more power but (imho) rides like a john deere tractor with a pine 2x6 for a seat.

Again, that jmho and if it's not allowed her, someone delete it

My buddy had a Gold wing which I took out a few times and too be honest I just plain did not like it I far prefer my Venture. Two biggest issue I had was the small amount of space by the foot shifer and it was even worse when he had the floor boards with the heel toe shifter and secondly I felt as though as I was sitting high on top of the bike rather than into the bike.

Another take on this :

An 06 with 23K on it. You probably have it paid for bye now. At 23K the bike is just barely Broken In !!

Do you really want to spend another " About " 20K $$$$$$ Plus Tax, Plus whatever upgrades the new bike will need ??

For much less then the " sales tax " on a new bike, you can get a new set of Dunlops, a new Deka battery, and a tune up

and oil change at a dealer, and your " Good to Go " for another 15 to 20K on the RSV !!!!!

Hmmm ??? lets see, for what the Gold Wing Costs, you could buy the wife a new " Pick Up Truck " Ahheeem ( small one )

I like the Wing because of the low center of gravity and the fixed fairing, not to mention Fuel Injection. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to attach a heavy fairing to the handlebars. I took an 06 for a short test ride back in 2010 and loved it. But,,,,, I'm too cheap to pay the price. That one was even gold in color, absolutely beautiful, with only 8k miles on it. The dealer wanted $17999 for it.....

Thanks all for the thoughts! We certainly standout as there are not many of our bikes on the road and you see GW and HD every where. I think I have backed away for the time being but still want/need to test ride to see if I even like it. That being said, it looks to be 50's here in Iowa this weekend and most of the sand and gravel from winter has washed away; time to get her out and take the first ride of 2016!

Stay safe everyone!

" the front of my knees rub against the fairing, and when I put my feet out on the highway pegs, It's so freakin wide it just feels annoying" said BigLenny.

I really wanted to fit on and buy a Goldwing in '08, but even sitting on it like this in the showroom got me off it. Same issue with BMW tourer.

...I'm 5'7" and a solo rider. The Goldwing seat height is 31.9" The RSV seat height stretches me to reach the pavement at 29" and change. The weight is a little top heavy and the low speed balance is tricky.I still think that, for the money, the RSV beats 'em all!!!,,, Good luck in your "Venture!!!!!" .....:clap2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Test ride first, rent if you can. They are great touring machines with a lot of stuff on them.

If you want a lighter motorcycle with a lower center of gravity try the BMW R1200 RT. They are awesome touring machines. I really like them but for a short guy I just don't feel comfortable at stops. They don't make a lowered one anymore. I also like the lowered R1200GS Adventure. It did fit me but I already bought the RSVS that I like better.