IGNORED

Irresponsible - I am just speechless

StarFan

I just could not believe my eyes when I watched this video. And the comments people make - "WOW that is one cool dad, wish my dad had been like this". Watch it and judge for yourself. In my eyes this person should not hold a motorcycle license and for sure needs some consulting about respecting the life of his own child. Forgive me for saying but - What a jerk !

[youTube:GjmNjbkKaPk]

If this does not work then just use this URL in your browser:

my heart was in my mouth watching that vid.

not only should he have his license taken away but his kid needs to be protected from such a moron father

Really scary to watch. I couldn't do it. After Christmas, I saw 3 boys about 6 yrs old in my neighborhood with little electric motorcycles. That's a good starting point and those boys were sooo happy!

This reminds me of an incident in 2008 when a Dad and a Firearms Instructor both allowed a 6 yr old boy to shoot an UZI. When the weapon started kicking back on full auto the boy shot himself in the head killing himself instantly. I never heard what charges if any were brought against the instructor or dad. Totally inexcusable in my opinion and met the definition of Involuntary Manslaughter.

Bob my friend.

I do respect your view on the matter but lets put it this way - just for an example of one of the thighs that could have gone wrong:

What if the bike for example would have hit some debris on the road and gotten a flat tire. Do you think that the six year old kid could have handled the wobble and maintained control of the bike. You think the father could have acted quick enough to take control and kept the bike on it wheels ?

Just an example of multiple things that can happen when you control a motorcycle. A dear suddenly crossing (you have been there) - you think the kid could have handled it ? The thing is, when one goes out for a ride you always have to be prepared for the unexpected. That is how we minimize the danger of riding a motorcycle - at least that is how I prepare every time I go for a ride.

But Bob - This is just my perspective, and again I respect yours - I just don´t agree !

Be safe my friend and keep Becky in the back please :) I like her to much !

Well....

It was flat, straight road with not a car in sight.

Dad's hands were right close by and junior didn't look like he would be able to yank on the bars.

it was Not likely the kids first time on the bike and unless they blew a tire I think it was OK.

I'm sure Dad was not sleeping while his son drove!

How many of us have done the same thing in a car?

certainly not the same as putting a weapon in his hands!

We all know that the unexpected can happen anytime, usually when you're least prepared. I would never ride no hands for just the reasons StarFan pointed out. Every once in awhile I have someone bring me his bike complaining of head shake. After I test ride with no issues the customer will want to know it I rode it 90 with no hands because "that's when it happens". Those people I tell they need to find a different shop.

At least at that age they heal fast. Also, the first responders won't have to cut off his boots or leather..........

Why bother with the helmet and gloves?

They go bouncing down the road they're not likely to want to survive it dressed like that. If they had a get off I'm "Dad" sure as hell would have wished he'd died once "Mom" would have gotten through with him.

The rest of it was just as irresponsible and made the lack of proper gear even more appalling.

You might get away with that type of thing a hundred times. But what about the one time you don't? Something as simple as what if the kid just slides sideways on the tank? What if they hit a bump and the kid whacks the throttle? Or the bike hits a rock in the road big enough to wobble it? Heck, what if the kid just yanks the bars because he just don't have the understanding of what it is going to do and thinks it would be "funny" or "fun"? Six year olds don't exactly have the most solid thought process or sense of their own mortality....

If that had gone wrong, it wouldn't be "cool Dad" it would of been "idiot Dad".......and then he would have had to explain to mom why their son is dead or in intensive care with road rash over 75% of his body and/or an amputated limb.

So yeah; it most definitely is the same as putting a weapon in his hands. A 600-odd lb weapon that will kill the same as a bullet will. A six year old has much less chance of surviving a road impact or tussle with that bike than a fully grown man. It woudl crush him like a grape. In fact, the method in which it kills is often more horrible and more painful than a bullet. And if it doesn't kill you, you might be wishing it had.

Some things are just stupid and irresponsible, now matter how "cool" you think it is going to look....

Edited by Great White

I guess I am looking at it differently? I would never "gamble" that everything was going to work out just fine, while my 6yr old son was flying down the road on a 600 lb bike in his shorts and t-shirt. Maybe everything will work out fine, but I would never take that risk with his life. It bothers me to take my grandkids 12 and 14 for rides, I am over cautious at all times because I know how quickly something can happen and how seriously they can be hurt and they are way too young to realize the danger they are in. I would not be able to live with myself if something went wrong. I agree with you Jonas, nothing cool about "cool Dad"

I also remember the incident with the kid and the UZI, another "gamble" that went horribly wrong.

Craig

Bob my friend.

I do respect your view on the matter but lets put it this way - just for an example of one of the thighs that could have gone wrong:

What if the bike for example would have hit some debris on the road and gotten a flat tire. Do you think that the six year old kid could have handled the wobble and maintained control of the bike. You think the father could have acted quick enough to take control and kept the bike on it wheels ?

Just an example of multiple things that can happen when you control a motorcycle. A dear suddenly crossing (you have been there) - you think the kid could have handled it ? The thing is, when one goes out for a ride you always have to be prepared for the unexpected. That is how we minimize the danger of riding a motorcycle - at least that is how I prepare every time I go for a ride.

But Bob - This is just my perspective, and again I respect yours - I just don´t agree !

Be safe my friend and keep Becky in the back please :) I like her to much !

I agree with you Jonas. I do not believe he had control of the situation. Looked like he was laying back on the seat. But, too each their own. I would never take a kid for a ride and let him sit on the tank and steer. Nope.

I am NOT in total disagreement with you guys, I was just looking at the other side of the coin! I've known of 6 yr olds riding their own dirtbikes...

Sure, but they're ripping around on 100-150 lbs of minibike in dirt, typically around 20 mph or so and Mom and Dad have them pretty kitted up.

Not saying they cant get hurt, but it's very different from what's in that video...

I've put both my kids in front of me while riding snowmobiles and let them take the controls many times, and we had reached speeds over 70 MPH. The kids rode with me from the time they were 3-4 Y/O. They had their own snowmobiles when they were 5 years old. They were both about the same age as that kid. Granted we were blasting across 600 acre fields in full riding gear. They also steered my truck down the dirt roads! When they could reach the pedals too, they had full control :yikes: I never felt they were in danger because They were taught before hand.

Like Bob said, the kid may have been riding a few years already. I do not condone that the father did not insist on AGAT for the kid, just in case.

And to prove I'm a really bad parent, they were both learning gun safety and to shoot rifles at the ripe old age of 5. They both lived through it and are now able to out shoot me ! To teach them the power of a firearm, the first time they went to the range, I took one of their stuffed animals and put it down range, the first shot vaporized the toy , I turned , looked at them and said, THAT's what it will do to a person. As you can imagine, it left a lasting memory and respect for firearms.

I am NOT in total disagreement with you guys, I was just looking at the other side of the coin! I've known of 6 yr olds riding their own dirtbikes...

As crazy and insane as this is gonna sound (well, maybe not to .1% of you lop eared varmints) THAT is exactly where my mind went Bongo.. Having grown up and then raised kids in the Motocross circles, I can tell you for a fact that I have seen kids that age on Motocross bikes doubling whoops and clearing jumps.. Have ripped down a two track on a beat up old 250 Honda XR and had em go by me on the back wheel on a KX60.. Kids can be VERY capable riders.. Ever wonder where those crazy 16 year olds you see on stunt bikes doing high speed stoppies, backflips and superman's over jumps got those skills? Most of em started at a very very early age.

Ironically, when I viewed that vid for the first time I noticed the condition of the road, the general low population of the area and the viewable openess of the area. I also noticed how the youngster made the move from dog bones to grips (and I winced when he did) - knowing how little pressure it takes on the inside of a grip to instantly cause most bikes to head for the ditch. That is when it occurred to me that this bike may very well have been a long bike (chop) and the dynamics of a chop are a lot different than a regular scoot - because of their wheel base they are very stable and lazy on the straight run..

:think::think:,, this isnt sounding right,, my personal love for danger, adrenaline and individual freedom are getting the best of me again,, judge not lest ye be judged and all that,, flaw in my character :confused24:,, :scratchchin::scratchchin: lets try this angle..

Years ago, a lot of people in the U.S. that were blessed enough to get to live in the country like I did chose to own horses.. My sisters had em and I couldn't stand or ever come to trust the things (the horses,, I LOVED my sisters). It was not uncommon for 6 year olds to be seen riding around on horses back then - no helmets or nuttin, just a pair a jeans - tea shirt and cowboy boots.. I always told my Dad that he was NUTS for allowing my little sisters to be around those nasty things at such a young age - my Dad grew up with and loved horses and didnt care much for bikes cause they were inherently dangerous, as was I according to him.. I, on the other hand, viewed an animal that could actually think for itself and decide to do crazy things all on its own was far more dangerous than a motorcycle could ever be. Thing was, back then - families on horses were a way of life and still are in many area's out west even though one small weed rubbed in the wrong place on a horses backside and they will kill a full grown man - much less a little kid..

:think::think:,, not getting me any where is it :think::think:,, try another approach,,

My son and I were on a trip in NYC one time and seen a couple little kids about 6 or 7 year olds getting on a Subway with NO parents to be seen.. They climbed on that thing and rode along yapping about their day like it was nobodies business... I squeezed my 12 year old son's hand a little tighter and said NOW THERE'S A COUPLE KIDS WHO NEED SOME NEW PARENTS - WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD LET THEIR CHILDREN RUN AROUND IN SUCH A DANGEROUS SITUATION.:buttkick:

I agree that this is totally irresponsible. Sure its true 6 years old kids have proven to be very capable on a dirt bike. But dirt bikes are also lighter and smaller and highway speeds are faster plus you also risk endangering other occupants of the highway. There is a reason why there is an age requirement to drive on public roads.

Edited by saddlebum

I've put both my kids in front of me while riding snowmobiles and let them take the controls many times, and we had reached speeds over 70 MPH. The kids rode with me from the time they were 3-4 Y/O. They had their own snowmobiles when they were 5 years old. They were both about the same age as that kid. Granted we were blasting across 600 acre fields in full riding gear. They also steered my truck down the dirt roads! When they could reach the pedals too, they had full control :yikes: I never felt they were in danger because They were taught before hand.

Like Bob said, the kid may have been riding a few years already. I do not condone that the father did not insist on AGAT for the kid, just in case.

And to prove I'm a really bad parent, they were both learning gun safety and to shoot rifles at the ripe old age of 5. They both lived through it and are now able to out shoot me ! To teach them the power of a firearm, the first time they went to the range, I took one of their stuffed animals and put it down range, the first shot vaporized the toy , I turned , looked at them and said, THAT's what it will do to a person. As you can imagine, it left a lasting memory and respect for firearms.

I never had the opportunity to ride with my Dad. But I learned firearm safety by age 5. And I'm huge about all the do's and don'ts. I remember when my father in law got himself pellet guns to shoot squirrel with, and left them loaded all over the house with small kids in the house. It was almost a come to Jesus moment when I had to go through everything with him, and my husband.....city boys...will make me go grey before my time...

Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved.

I am an EMT I get the joy of seeing what happens when things go wrong. The child on the lap of a parent, Child is dead and the parent is ok. And the parent says I did not think it would happen. I did happen you killed your child. I see no good in this at all. There is a whole lot of difference between a car and a bike. What did this prove other then the parent is not a parent just an idiot. Don't get me started on drunks.

Also make sure the helmet fits right A helmet to big can break a kids neck.

Edited by Doug royal86

It was flat, straight road with not a car in sight.

Dad's hands were right close by and junior didn't look like he would be able to yank on the bars.

it was Not likely the kids first time on the bike and unless they blew a tire I think it was OK.

I'm sure Dad was not sleeping while his son drove!

How many of us have done the same thing in a car?

certainly not the same as putting a weapon in his hands!

Sorry Trader...

With the father sitting behind his child and his hands not on the controls there is no way he could have reacted as quickly as needed if an animal ran in front of them, or there was debris on the road. How many of us cover brake/clutch when approaching an intersection and even then you can't always react quickly enough

And as far as letting a kid drive a car....a neighbour was putting their 4yr old on their lap and driving places. I saw them do this a number of times on my street on their way to the store. I called the police and reported them. NO WAY a young child should be sitting on their parents lap with their hands on the steering wheel.

I also hate it when you see someone driving with a small dog on their lap. In an emergency situation, they wouldn't react quickly enough and some people would protect their dog and not as worried about hitting me on my bike.

I agree that this totally irresponsible. Sure its true 6 years old kids have proven to be very capable on a dirt bike. But dirt bikes are also lighter and smaller and highway speeds are faster plus you also risk endangering other occupants of the highway. There is a reason why there is an age requirement to drive on public roads.

Agree with you...dirt bikes are different - they are off road and unlikely to injure innocent people. Lighter and less power and hopefully sized to be age appropriate and experience.

First off,,, the father is nuts,,, totally nuts. I agree that he was not in control or that he could re-gain control if needed,,,, crazy!!!

But on the other hand, I think we protect our kids toooo much nowadays,,, well some of do. We need to let them loose a bit more often, but that takes prior training on the parents first of all and then the right kind of up-bringing from the start. For many of us thinking about a 6 year old running a dirt bike or sno-mobile on their own?? we cringe!! but then those of us who do have sheltered our kids more than some others and the kids are not ready to handle things properly.

For others, the kids have learned early on the fear of hurt, the fact that if you don't put your foot down on the stairs right you get to feel what a tumble feels like. These kids operate on a different program than some others, but it's not for all kids, or parents for that matter.

I didn't put a tight rein on my kids when they grew up,,, on the other hand I would not have done what was seen on the video,,, that's nuts!!! My grandkids are being raised more of less the same, one grandson ran a 48" lawn mower at age 5, he sat on the edge of the seat to get at the controls and nobody was allowed in the yard when he was busy. Today @ 10 years old,,, hey it's his birthday today,,,,,that young fella will outclass many grown-ups with common knowledge, what's safe and what is not so safe. Has to do with his character and his upbringing and for sure,,, different strokes for different folks.

But NO!!! my sons would not have done this either.

Old Woman's Opinion,

First of all, I am pretty sure that MY FIRST HUSBAND would never have ever done something like that. He is way too cautious about everything he does. I do not believe he would ever have risked our son's life doing what this father did.

As a mother of three grown children, I know it is great to allow your children to experience all the excitement and fun that life can bring, but we as parent's also have to use common sense and protect our children from extreme dangers, using our adult judgement and good sense when doing so.

Yes, there are 6 year old children who ride motorcycles, but not a full size Harley Davidson. If there had been a hole in the pavement, debris on the road, or perhaps an animal that ran out in front of them at the speed they were going, they both would have died. Now if Dad wants to take risks like that fine, it is his life. But in my opinion, he had no business risking his little boy's life. His son was just doing what Dad told him to do, and had no thought to what could have happened.

Here is a photo of the first time our son road with his Dad.

DSC04337.jpg

Yama Mama

My Dad wouldn't hear of me getting a motorcycle. But, he got me a BB gun at age 6 and a 20 gauge shotgun at age 10. I loved to hunt as a kid.

I had a motorcycle when my two boys were growing up. I didn't ride a whole lot but I always had one. Neither of them ever developed an interest in motorcycles or guns which as a parent kept me from a lot of worry. Now that my Ruskie stepson is grown, he has developed an interest in guns and got a concealed carry permit for his 1911. He also recently bought an ak that he enjoys on a range. He's a very responsible young man.