IGNORED

What is your winter project for this year?

Venturous Randy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My winter project is to make it to spring...

My winter project is to follow Bongo around on these forums and post right after he does.. I do this for a couple reasons,,, 1st and foremost - I LOVE teasing that tenderhearted Bongo - he is SOOOO much fun... 2nd of all,, I know by following Bongo around I will make it to spring too!!

well lets see, the 86 needs fork seals bad. While that's being done I think I'm going to have progressive springs added to the front as well. I'd also like to add braided steel brake lines but maybe I'll save that for later. having some problems with ta racing idle. Not sure if its the throttle cable (it seems to have some play in it) or if the primary vacuum line has some cracks in it.

I have already rebuilt front and rear brake, regreased bearings and gears, spline shaft etc. Replaced clutch spring with barons spring plate. Put new commander 2 on rear. If I think of anything else I might do that too. It's going to be a long winter. Oh I have a few things to do to my Raider also.

well got the virago running. had the carbs off 3x's. my hanging fuel can got me. all light work. the only thing that don't work is neutral light. ground wire and it lights. just have to buy one blue relay and one yellow relay and a seat now. wasn't going to buy till it ran. need to balance carbs. getting to adjustment screw maybe a challenge. so winter about over

My winter project has nothing to do with a motorcycle...

We just bought a place (had been renting for past 8 years) and we're moving into it this coming weekend. The "winter project" will revolve around settling in and making the place "ours". That will run us right into spring once the weather is dry enough, I'll be building a new deck out the back and making changes to the existing landscaping. Hopefully all will be done in time to get some good 3 and 4 day riding weekends in!

(the Vic needs nothing 'cept a rear tire)

FWIW, stock tire is E3 and I've got just over 21,000 Kms on it (that's a bit over 13,000 miles for you "non-metric" folk) and it's almost all 2-up riding.

Upgrade the charging system on my 96 RSTD. Check the fork seals and change fork oil. Check valve clearances. Get the carb jetting sorted out. It runs great with the jets that are in it, but the fuel mileage is not where it should be. I get about 30 mpg with it, but was getting closer to 40 before opening the air box, changing exhaust and rejetting.

For several years I have been compiling First Generation Venture VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). I've entered the accumulated VIN into an Excel database. It is rather an OCD thing I suppose, however, the database has proven useful to me and other Venture owners by providing some insight into such Yamaha vagaries as annual production numbers, export market differences and accurate model designations for the purpose of obtaining the correct parts for a specific motorcycle.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to forward me your Venture's full VIN, the manufacturing date and the Venture's current mileage, so that I may enter it into the database?

The VIN is located at two locations on the First Generation Ventures. The VIN is stamped into the frame at the steering neck, but that location makes it difficult to read the VIN on the Venture. However, there is also an applied white label on the lower frame rail beneath the rear brake pedal, that contains the VIN. The VIN is easily read there. The VIN consists of 17 characters and digits and starts with 'JYA'. On the same label, the manufacturing date is shown. The manufacturing date is formatted as month/year, i.e.: '04/83', '08/87', etc.

I will send you a copy of this database if you wish. If you want a copy, include an email address where I can send the Excel file.

Thank you for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

I am rebuilding an unloved 86 Venture Royal. When I got her the trunk was falling off , floor shifter broken and clutch not working.There was stuff just falling off her.I managed to find a donor bike her color and I am in the process of getting her back together.I am pulling off the donor body parts and will be offering them up if anyone is interested. It is the two tone darker color.

I will post some picks to show how it is going.I am adding led lighting and giving her a nice good look.She was a looker even as a junky bike before.I hope I will succeed.

My winter project is fixing a free lawnmower I picked up alongside the road. Sign on it "Free - bent shaft"

I've fixed a bent lawnmower crankshaft before with a big hammer, but discovered it had no bent shaft. Only a missing a critcal blade flat washer, and with fresh gas started right up and runs fine............. and winter is not over yet. What to do next......

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Number of small stuff (in an effort to eliminate an afterburn since I replaced the fuel pump) like:

- replace spark plugs

- replace collant plugs behind the faux fin covers

- replace vacum port plugs

- sychronize carbs

Otherwise, install Monster Ovals (if I can find a set at the right price).

Just added to my list hard wirring my new TomTom Rider GPS that will be delivered to me this week. And doing the hard bag rails mod to get them to line up better.

Need to get this done by first of march for our trip to the texas hill country and San Antonio.

I am changing:

anti-freeze

brake and clutch fluid

rear end oil

air filters

new plugs

adding mood led lighting

splitting fairing and rewiring all my add on electronics

oil change of course

fuel filter

color tune carbs

sync carbs,

change all vacuum lines. (they are starting to crack and leak)

Almost forgot having Rick Butler do seats

Well, I'm working toward the MKII upgrade on the front of my 83. I received the MKII rotors this week and tonight I won a set of MKII forks off ebay and it also has a very thick brace. My next thing is the R1 calipers. I have several bookmarked and am going for the gold ones. One set also has the master cylinder and reservior, but I don't know if I can get that to work and I'm sure the hoses will not be long enough. I plan on going thru the forks and replace the bushings and seals. I am also going the replace the bearings in the tripple tree.

Since I put solid motor mounts in, I removed the braces that go beside the engine and it feels pretty good, but Im hoping the MKII upgrade will make it feel even better.

RandyA

• 10 months later...

I put a new clutch in the Venture a couple of weeks ago. At that point I realized I need to get the garage organized.

That Night ordered a new tool chest and organized all my hand tools

Then realized I needed a better work platform So I ended Up building an 8 ft bench the following weekend

bench01.jpg

Now that I have all that done I have some room again.

I have an old BSA chopper in the garage I have owned since I was 17.

20151023_193022 (3).jpg

I plan to do some work on it. The bike has not been on the road since 1994. If I get up and running I may take the next year a little at a time and get road ready.

It was running a few years back . With the RSTD and Camping and guitar lessons I kinda let it sit.

My main project to be ready for spring is to .

1. I Need to Replace the clutch on my RSTD

2. I would like to do a rear diff swap on the Venture.

3. Replace the Metzler rear tire with an Avon Cobra. I do like the Avon on the front . This spring I will need a replacement on the rear

4. Replace the petcock on the venture

5. Both need fuel filters replaced

6. Plan out a few camping trips for 2016

Money is what make the decision

Bit of a thread dig from last year, but I'll play:

But so much to do, where do I begin? I'm starting with a bone stock 83 so this is going to be quite a list:

VMax heads and cams

2002 RSV transmission

Vboost

Ignitech with VBoost control

COP

VMax differential

1986 wiring harness and associated components (IE: cluster switches, etc)

Redo fuse box and relocate to LH fairing. Same place for Ignitech.

CLASS

Venture Cruise

Bi-xenon headlight (Infiniti G37 donor)

MKII forks (86)

monoblock calipers (blue dots)

ZX7R underslung rear caliper

Delink brakes

86 side luggage

85 top box

Big Bikes tail lights and LED conversions

17" rear rim conversion (ZX7R Donor and an 86 Hub to be grafted in)

17" rear rim necessitates minor swingarm alterations and will add bracing at same time

17" front rim (R6 Donor, modified for 17" speedo drive)

Tires undecided but looking at Michelin pilot road 4

Would like to make solid mounts and may be doing a 320mm disc conversion , but probably just won't have the time to get to those this winter.

Finish with paint (Stock 83 burgundy color, black engine, some chrome)

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

This is all assuming that I can actually stand upright to do the work. My back went out and cut the end of my riding season short. It's taking waaaay too long this time to recover. An hour in the shop at the lathe was about all I could take yesterday and it's really making me pay for it today.

Next year I'll be looking at suspension upgrades and refining anything that needs it after running it for a summer.

I was going to work on the FJ1200 this winter too, but that has to be pushed off to next year as the Venture has ballooned into a huge project that will be a challen in itself....

Edited by Great White

I put a new clutch in the Venture a couple of weeks ago. At that point I realized I need to get the garage organized.

That Night ordered a new tool chest and organized all my hand tools

Then realized I needed a better work platform So I ended Up building an 8 ft bench the following weekend

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102160[/ATTACH]

Now that I have all that done I have some room again.

I have an old BSA chopper in the garage I have owned since I was 17.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102161[/ATTACH]

I plan to do some work on it. The bike has not been on the road since 1994. If I get up and running I may take the next year a little at a time and get road ready.

It was running a few years back . With the RSTD and Camping and guitar lessons I kinda let it sit.

My main project to be ready for spring is to .

1. I Need to Replace the clutch on my RSTD

2. I would like to do a rear diff swap on the Venture.

3. Replace the Metzler rear tire with an Avon Cobra. I do like the Avon on the front . This spring I will need a replacement on the rear

4. Replace the petcock on the venture

5. Both need fuel filters replaced

6. Plan out a few camping trips for 2016

Money is what make the decision

Had a 67 Trumpet 650 a lot like that Dave. Great old bike. I need to get my garage in order and start on some bikes.....as I been saying........

1. Winterize the bike and rat rod and store them until spring

2. Get out the chains and drag a couple of 60 ft firs out of the woods so I can buck, split and stack for next winters firewood.

3. Try to dodge the wife's " Honey Do" list.

Shut off the lights, lock the doors and head to California so none of FlyinFool's White Wash can get on me :big-grin-emoticon:

INDEED Dave,, I LOVE your Chopped Beezer too!! Brings back lots of memories from days long gone by,, PLEASE keep us posted with pics of any progress you make.. COOL SCOOT!:thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc
sent before I was finished, almost missed telling Dave how much I like his Chopper!

Number one is to get the old ticker back to beating regular.

Once that happens, then I have a whole list of plans for my bike.

Build center stand dolly.

Progressive springs

Make the new adjustable block off plates I designed.

Remove anti dives.

HD stator and RR.

Adjust valves.

Find a place to put about 1500 more LEDs.

I was thinking of doing a tear down and repaint, but that is out for this year.

I did get the valves done and the center stand dolly built. I made some good progress on the old ticker. The rest from last year is still on the list.

Add to that list;

Tto redo the passing lights with an upgrade to either LED or HID.

Some potential upgrades to the SC........:whistling::duck:

Shut off the lights, lock the doors and head to California so none of FlyinFool's White Wash can get on me :big-grin-emoticon:

INDEED Dave,, I LOVE your Chopped Beezer too!! Brings back lots of memories from days long gone by,, PLEASE keep us posted with pics of any progress you make.. COOL SCOOT!:thumbsup:

California is within range.............:snow2:..........:moon: