IGNORED

what the "H" just happened

mrsteve

So I'm ridding home yesterday minding my own business and marveling at how courteous everyone on the freeway was being, nobody had to be in front of anyone, nobody weaving/cutting anyone off.... just a nice ride home.

I was returning the courtesy and riding in the #3 lane at 70 miles per hour. (3 lane wide stretch of the freeway)

All of a sudden I thought I had a front blow-out, or the front wheel locked up. Any way you looked at it, I was going down.

When the bike was leaning at about a 45 degree angle to the left I knew I was just about to be the first person to the crash scene, and I was.

I departed the bike. It continued to lay down on it's left side and slide down the #3 lane............I went into the #2 lane and donated skin to the highway gods.

When I stopped cartwheeling and rolling I realized I was in the #2 lane and had not lost consciousness so I got up and walked to the shoulder, amazed that I hadn't been squished.

The first sound I heard was a woman asking if I wanted her to call anyone. I said no that I was ok.

Three other people stopped and were upset that I was trying to pick up the bike and move out of the traffic lane.

I conceded and let them do it. Some one else said they had called the highway patrol. I looked at my helmet and it had blood on it and remember saying "oh **** did one of you guys get cut on the bike?"

Someone said "no, that's yours, look at your arms"

Ok, time to see if the bike still runs, I gotta get home. Yup, started right up. One bent crash bar, kicked it straight enough for the shifter to work. Talked with the guys that stopped for a while and tried to determine what the f... just happened. I still don't know. The guy that was 2 cars back said he saw my head hit the road at least 3 times. I shook my head and said I think I'll be ok cuz I can still hear both brain cells rollin' around.

Highway patrol talked me into taking the ambulance ride to the trauma center.

I kept telling everyone that I was ok, "just picked up some new rid'n tattoos"

Cat scan showed that I was correct.

Cat scan also showed something in my left lung, not from the crash.

Guess I'm guna go see my doctor.

So, I'm ok, the bike looks like an easy fix.

I'll call the highway patrol Monday to see if they had it towed or if someone stole it. (It's not where I left it)

I got off of the bike because 2 years ago when I crashed a plane it took 3 guys to peel the airplane off of me so I could walk away from that one.

Yes, I am very lucky, and I know it.

Anyone wanna go flyin' or riddin'?

Steve

Edited by Eck

WOW!!

Really really glad you are ok Steve!! Bottom line, you are one fortunate soul to have had the perfect timing for your crash (not that anytime is a good time to fall). Those other drivers on the highway that day should be commended for their good driving standards and thoughtfulness in helping you out.

Thoughts and prayers my friend as you go thru the healing process! It will be interesting to hear exactly what happened to cause it.. :confused24:

Best wishes.

Puc

so sorry to hear of your crash, but very thankful that youre mostly ok...

Don't wait to get that spot looked at in your lung,....it might turn out that the crash saves you by detecting something early....

Brian

Edited by friesman

That is a truely frightening story for those of us that ride. Not only do we have to watch for the idiots on the road, apparently we have to worry about something strange happening from the bike itself. It is amazing that you were able to walk away from a crash at that speed. I'm glad that you are here to tell the tale. Please keep us posted on any further developments.

Dale.

So I'm ridding home yesterday minding my own business and marveling at how courteous everyone on the freeway was being, nobody had to be in front of anyone, nobody weaving/cutting anyone off.... just a nice ride home.

I was returning the courtesy and riding in the #3 lane at 70 miles per hour. (3 lane wide stretch of the freeway)

All of a sudden I thought I had a front blow-out, or the front wheel locked up. Any way you looked at it, I was going down.

When the bike was leaning at about a 45 degree angle to the left I knew I was just about to be the first person to the crash scene, and I was.

I departed the bike. It continued to lay down on it's left side and slide down the #3 lane............I went into the #2 lane and donated skin to the highway gods.

When I stopped cartwheeling and rolling I realized I was in the #2 lane and had not lost consciousness so I got up and walked to the shoulder, amazed that I hadn't been squished.

The first sound I heard was a woman asking if I wanted her to call anyone. I said no that I was ok.

Three other people stopped and were upset that I was trying to pick up the bike and move out of the traffic lane.

I conceded and let them do it. Some one else said they had called the highway patrol. I looked at my helmet and it had blood on it and remember saying "oh **** did one of you guys get cut on the bike?"

Someone said "no, that's yours, look at your arms"

Ok, time to see if the bike still runs, I gotta get home. Yup, started right up. One bent crash bar, kicked it straight enough for the shifter to work. Talked with the guys that stopped for a while and tried to determine what the f... just happened. I still don't know. The guy that was 2 cars back said he saw my head hit the road at least 3 times. I shook my head and said I think I'll be ok cuz I can still hear both brain cells rollin' around.

Highway patrol talked me into taking the ambulance ride to the trauma center.

I kept telling everyone that I was ok, "just picked up some new rid'n tattoos"

Cat scan showed that I was correct.

Cat scan also showed something in my left lung, not from the crash.

Guess I'm guna go see my doctor.

So, I'm ok, the bike looks like an easy fix.

I'll call the highway patrol Monday to see if they had it towed or if someone stole it. (It's not where I left it)

I got off of the bike because 2 years ago when I crashed a plane it took 3 guys to peel the airplane off of me so I could walk away from that one.

Yes, I am very lucky, and I know it.

Anyone wanna go flyin' or riddin'?

Steve

Can't say that I want too go flying or riding with you. Just one question, what made you think you could ride the bike home with the front wheel locked-up?:cool10:

have a quick recovery, and check your lines for air. i had almost the same thing happen to me once just with more warning, smelt a little burning the bike began to slow and then started squealing. by the time the bike was on the shoulder it wouldn't move.