IGNORED

Travel to Canada

frodotoo

Well I probably should have researched this a little better before, but anyway----my wife and I are going on a first ever long distance trip (for her on the back of the bike anyway) to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Leaving tomorrow up around Lake Michigan heading for Niagara Fall, ON for a couple of nights. Heading through Port Huron/Sarnia on the way to a final destination of Bennington, VT. Wondering where the best place to exchange US $$ for Canadian $$ would be. US side or Canadian?? Banks/CU's?? I haven't driven through our northern neighbor's property since the 70's when the speed limit was 70 north of the border and 55 south and passport not needed. Just spending a couple of nights in Canada, so I won't need a whole lot of cash, but also wondering if there is a surcharge when using the gas pumps/purchases with credit cards? Any insight would be appreciated :)

No surcharge for buying gas with Credit Card. You might get more bang for your buck if you use your US credit card for all your transactions in Canada. :stickpoke: Also you might want to take the ferry at Marine City. Crossing at Sarnia can be a really long wait at times.:bang head:

If only for a couple of day's you should probably use your credit card as the exchange rate on those is usually better than when you exchange cash. Some businesses now charge a premium when you use credit cards, but that is still the exception, normally there is no surchage or penalty for using credit cards.

If you use debit cards, you may be slapped with steep user fees, depends on your bank.

As for cash, most businesses will gladly take American dollars at par :mo money:

Hope you enjoy your stay on our side of the border....oh and remember, cannot bring gun across border.

:canada:

I use my Canadian bank card at ATMs in the US to get currency....probably get charged couple dollars per transaction, but don't have to worry about getting to a bank during business hours.

Typically the lodging I put on the credit card.

No surcharge for buying gas with Credit Card. You might get more bang for your buck if you use your US credit card for all your transactions in Canada. :stickpoke: Also you might want to take the ferry at Marine City. Crossing at Sarnia can be a really long wait at times.:bang head:

+1 on taking the Ferry. Just went through Sarnia Saturday about 10:30 am and it took about 30 minutes. Not too bad, just hot and boring sitting in line sucking car fumes.

Our US border agent made us very nervous for a short while. He asked if we were Packer fans. Being in Michigan, I was worried he was a die hard Lions fan and we were going to be subjected to the rubber glove treatment. Turns out he was from Oconto and was a life long Packer fan.

"All is good here. Have a nice trip."

RR

PS. We put everything on the credit card. Didn't exchange any money although we were only in Canadistan for a day and a night.

Passport needed.

Debit and credit cards accepted almost everywhere.

Marine city is a great place to cross Michigan into Ontario.

Niagara falls is a must see.

Are you crossing back into the USA at Kingston or Buffalo?

Cheers Scott

around Lake Michigan heading for Niagara Fall, ON for a couple of nights. Heading through Port Huron/Sarnia on the way to a final destination of Bennington, VT. :)

Canada/US Niagara bordercross wait times can be brutal this time of year. The earlier the better. Crossed at Rainbow bridge to Cda yesterday at 11:00 AM for an hour wait.

Lineup into US was out to Livingston & Veteran's Rd., according to google earth 1.3 miles.(bring a lunch & 6 pack) There is an 800# available.

http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/

What is your planned route thru Ontario? Lots of members in South Western Ontario. Depending on time/route...you might have people to ride with you or stop for coffee.

I'm in Kitchener, along the 401. I have to work during the day but depending on time...

Congratulations on 30 years Steve and hope your short time in Canada is good. Don't know your plans but just a heads up, - the QEW /401 slab is one of the busiest roads in North America, especially as you get closer to Toronto. There are lots of really good riding roads as alternatives. If you need info on options, just post and you will get lots of suggestions.

Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Last year a couple of my buddies and I made the trip across. We crossed in upper Ny by Syracuse. About 40 mi wait. Came back thru buffalo and it might have took us 30-40 min of creeping in line. Had way way less questions trying to get back in US than go over to visit. I just used the credit card for everything. Some US cash at a DQ and burger joint no worries.

Sounds like a great trip that you have planned, congratulations on the 30 years, that is tremendous.

Depending when you are in the Niagara area there are a few of us in that area, that could show you some nice roads or areas for rides.

Good luck on the trip, let us know if you want or need any help on rides.

Mike.

Well I probably should have researched this a little better before, but anyway----my wife and I are going on a first ever long distance trip (for her on the back of the bike anyway) to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Leaving tomorrow up around Lake Michigan heading for Niagara Fall, ON for a couple of nights. Heading through Port Huron/Sarnia on the way to a final destination of Bennington, VT. Wondering where the best place to exchange US $$ for Canadian $$ would be. US side or Canadian?? Banks/CU's?? I haven't driven through our northern neighbor's property since the 70's when the speed limit was 70 north of the border and 55 south and passport not needed. Just spending a couple of nights in Canada, so I won't need a whole lot of cash, but also wondering if there is a surcharge when using the gas pumps/purchases with credit cards? Any insight would be appreciated :)

I live "down the street and around the corner" from the Falls. I can help direct you towards some of the nicer stuff if we're around (Retired so our "vacation" plans tend to be last minute affairs). Most places don't charge a premium for using a credit card. I'd avoid using a debit card in tourist areas - there have been too many cases of crooks setting up machines to capture info then draining out an account. You have a better chance of protecting yourself by using a credit card. Also, unless you travel a lot, you may want to inform your credit card company as to where and when you will be going so that they know to expect purchases outside your usual area. Congrats on 30 years - my wife and I just celebrated our 40th.

Andy

OH yea call your cell company and find out about your coverage also. Most times you can get it set up for "international" so it will work up there. If you dont set something up with them ahead of time and you need to use it, the cost is crazy $$$$$ I had mine turned on there with Sprint for like an extra $10 just incase.

Thanks for all the replies. Called my bank and CC co and let them know I was going foreign for a couple days. My travel plan is to enter the "Great White North" around the noon hour tomorrow and I probably will do the ferry, cheap. I looked at crossing Lake Michigan via ferry, but it takes longer and costs WAY too much. I plan on finding Hwy 3 from Marine City for the ride to the Falls. Staying at HoJo's once there, two nights total, leaving Saturday AM. Other than seeing the Falls, have no other plans at this time. Just hoping for good weather, which so far looks promising. I may look into doing a short phone plan switch with Verizon, from looking at their website they charge 89 a min for calls and looks like a quarter per text. Don't know about data charges. Ran out of time yesterday with my last minute preps to stop in at the local office, I'll have to find one on the way. I hope to be on my way in the next 1-1/2 hrours :7_2_104[1]::63:

use your Credit card as much as possible.

your credit card probably is not chipped so there will be a little more fuss but not much

2 Canadian side of the Falls is much nicer

3 Enhanced Drivers license should be enough, but passport speeds things up

4 Bennington, Eat at the station house restaurant

5 get the forms for rebate of GST for goods you buy in Canada

6 Eh is a form of punctuation, not a question

Enjoy

Al

btw what is an "enhanced" License??

It's a special driver's license (costs a little more but less than a pass port) that has all the info attached that a pass port would have. Just flash it at a scanner at the border (U.S. side). I know it's available in Ontario and Michigan. Not sure about other States and Provinces. It's only good for land crossings. Not for flying.