IGNORED

Great old cars we have owned

baylensman

I dont remember the Mercury Cyclone, I was only 3 in 69. But I looked them up, and I'd like to have one of them.

Guy I worked with had one back in the early 70's, it was a CJ (Cobra Jet) and it was an awesome car... I always wanted a "Cuda" convertible,,, wow,, that brings back memories just saying that... Remember the show "Mannix" - Mannix drove a Black Cuda Convert that I loved, sheeshhh,, still got the tune of that show swimming in my brain......

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

67 Volkswagen (130hp Dyno tested)

70 MG Midget

71 Volkswagen

76 Datsun B210

79 Triumph Spitfire (bought new and still have it)

74 Volkswagen

81 Volkswagen Sirocco

78 Triumph Spitfire

71 Toyota 4x4 (Hilux) 10,000 off road miles in Iceland in 1 year

87 Ford Tempo

86 Toyota 4x4 (Hilux)

93 Saturn SC2

97 Saturn SC2

00 Dodge Intrepid

99 Mazda Protege5 (ran like a go-cart on steroids)

00 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

02 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner

05 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (still have it)

08 Mazda CX7 (still have it)

Cant find pictures of all of them.

I have a 69 428 CJ Cyclone, that I bought in Dec of 1969. The engine and trans only has 16,000 miles since they were rebuilt, but the body needs a lot of work. This is what it used to look like and I hope one day it will look like this again.

Earl

'32 Ford coupe (still got it)

'49 Chevy pickup "

'34 Chevy Master Sedan "

'03 Chevy pickup "

'06 Mercedes "

'08 Cadillac CTS "

'34 Chevy sedan (wish I still had it)

'37 Chevy 1 1/2 ton "

'38 Chevy coupe "

'46 Chevy C.O.E. "

'47 Olds coach "

'62 Chevy 2 dr. post "

'65 Impala 2 dr. Htp. "

'66 Chevy 3/4 ton "

'68 Camaro 396 SS "

'70 Monte Carlo "

'91 GMC 3/4 ton (my brother now owns)

and a bunch of others: '57 International truck '62 Rambler American, '63 Fairlane wagon, '63 Chevy 1/2 ton, '69 Camaro, '70 Corolla, '81 LeMans, '95 Grand Prix, '98 Monte Carlo

I'm sure I missed a few including some parts cars and other junk I had over the years.

Holy Crap!! that is A LOT of cars...How Old are you !!!!:shock3::shock3::shock3::shock3:

• 1 year later...

Never even knew this thread existed!

Most fun car for me...1960 AH Bugeye Sprite. Bought it in Arizona, 1969, put 40k miles on it in 11 months before being shipped overseas. Sat in dad's garage in N.H., until I came back... Then across country I went to Denver and eventually back to Phoenix. Had 96k on it when I sold it for $2k. I paid $650 for it! All stock.

2nd most fun car was 1973 Opel Manta Rallye. German and handled superbly. Best sports sedan. Nimble and cornered better than Porsche 914. I used to love to leave them in the curves west of Denver.

Good memories...

No pics... I'm not home.

Well my very first car was a 1954 Rambler American S/W, flathead 6, 3 on the tree, built like a sherman tank, wasn't my favorite, just my first. I have 2 that I would like to have again, the first is 62 VW Bug, sunroof, hooker headers, had it during my senior year in high school. It got totaled by a friend, the other is 72 Dodge Charger, 318 cid, auto. I kinda messed it up on a light standard in the middle of I-10 on a rainy night. Never was right got rid of it for a 73 Vega GT. Dont want one again.............lol.

Forgot about the Renault Gordini I had. Toughest car I ever saw. Rear engine Highly tuned. Full belly pan. When we moved to Saltspring my wife at the time took it to north Vancouver to say goodbye to her friend. I later got a call from her saying there was a red light on the dash. I told her to pull into a gas station and have them check the oil and water. The idiot at the station told her it was an air cooled engine ( it wasn't) so it did not need water and the oil was fine. When she got home I heard it a block away and could see the heat waves coming off the car. It had blown a water hose then overheated and burned up all the oil. I waited about 4 hours then fixed the hose and filled it with oil and water and drove it another two years with no problems.

I know you don't want to admit it but I'd guess you were running Slick 50 oil treatment in order for that to happen! LOL

Since I am on the road, I don't have photos available to me.

I financed my education playing in bands and trading cars. Now, being in Kentucky at the time, the "good ol boys" had an affinity for sporty cars, and used their tobacco and coal money to buy them, drive them like the fools they were, and then park them. The great old cars that I bought and sold for a profit while I was in undergraduate school included:

1954 Corvette, White with red. Blue Flame 6

1958 Corvette, Black with red. 283 with 3 speed - needed a fair amount of work

1959 Corvette Maroon with black 283 with 4 speed - needed king pins

1963 Corvette Coupe Marina blue with blue 327/300 with 4 speed

1967 Corvette Roadster BRG with black 427/390 with 4 speed

After I finished school, and got a job, I bought a 1959 AH Bugeye. Like others before, I loved it, but it had to go away because in 1977 I fell in love with an AH 3000 which I still own.

Along the way, we have owned any number of MGB's, and they were great, but had to go away for a profit. While we were being crazy about the Brit cars, a 1967 XKE coupe presented itself. I still have it.

My race cars were "great old cars" too. I still have my Datsun 240Z in GT trim.

Well, lots.

So I'll just throw out my two most favorite.

Truck: 1974 International Scout II with a spring over conversion and 12.50 mud tires. They were from Canadian tires and iirc they were called cats paw, almost looked like skid loader pattern tires. 304 IH v8, 727 transmission, Dana 60 rear and a 44 front. That thing was great. Unstoppable.

Car: (this is gonna sound odd, but...) 1978 TBird. 460 4bbl and c6 transmission conversion. Wasn't really fast in the 1/4, but would go through a couple sets of rear tires in a summer. It was one of the rarer buckets, console and floor shifter interiors. I'd buy it back in less than a second if I ever ran across it again (but its probably razor blades by now). Like d that car more than any of the mustngs I've had or other performance car. I dunno, some cars just speak to you.....

My first car was a 1959 Triumph TR3A . It was a fun little roadster. Next was a 1968 Checker Marathon. This is still my favorite, I used to open the back door and put my Suzuki RM400 dirt bike right in the back seat area :big-grin-emoticon: no need for a trailer. Didn't hurt that I could haul 10 friends from club to club on the weekends :guitarist 2:

Here are names of some of the vehicles I owned over my life time.l

53 Rambler

54 chevy

50 chevy

51 chevy

66 ford fairlane GT

70 Nova (owned 2 at same time, both were green)

64 falcon

69 Road Runner 440 6 pack, ram air

65 T bird

71ranchero

70 olds cutlass

77 olds cutlass

99 merc marquise (see pic below)

05 Avalanche

2011 Avalanche

And then there was my 1934 Frasier Nash (kit car) made out of a VW... (See pic below)

A picture of my 34 Frasier Nash is in the 1984 December issue of the National Geographic's magazine - near center page- going down Bay Street in Savannah, Ga., at the St. Patrick's day parade.

1934 Frasier Nash - Pic taken 1999 in driveway.jpg

HPIM0482.jpg

HPIM0492.jpg

Kewl thread.

My very first car was 1970 Pontiac Strato Chief. Purchased at the ripe old age of 17 for a whopping $75 from a guy who lived at the end of my block. Handed over the money and pushed it down the street into my parent's carport where it sat for 2 weeks while I worked on making it road worthy. Great car, of all I have owned, still my fondest memory.

Thomas

1958dkg_20.jpg

Here are names of some of the vehicles I owned over my life time.l

53 Rambler

54 chevy

50 chevy

51 chevy

66 ford fairlane GT

70 Nova (owned 2 at same time, both were green)

64 falcon

69 Road Runner 440 6 pack, ram air

65 T bird

71ranchero

70 olds cutlass

77 olds cutlass

99 merc marquise (see pic below)

05 Avalanche

2011 Avalanche

And then there was my 1934 Frasier Nash (kit car) made out of a VW... (See pic below)

A picture of my 34 Frasier Nash is in the 1984 December issue of the National Geographic's magazine - near center page- going down Bay Street in Savannah, Ga., at the St. Patrick's day parade.

That Merc was one beautiful car Eck. I remember you posting it for sale on here. Believe it had been your Dad's. If I'd had the money, I'd of paid you a visit. Doug

I had some pretty cool cars that I wish I still had--2--69 dodge Super Bee`s 440--6pac--1 auto-1 -4 speed;4-62 chevy Impala`s--1-ss;69 charger R/T-with power sun roof--one of 38 made still have a 68 Pontiac Lemans that my oldest son is trying to put together with a 455-with 600-650 horse.

At one time I and my 2 brothers had 13 of the '55, '56, and '57 chev's on our yard, one of the 55's was set on a international dually frame, but the car I wish I still had was a '62 Ford Fairlane 500, little 221 cid v8, 3 on the tree, also had a 60 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, dropped the top in feb, and drove around town while it snowed, lots of strange looks. Currently have a 86 Dodge Daytona Pacifica turbo sitting in the garage as a stalled project. GTO, Grand Prix, Mustangs all had homes at our place at different times. Had way too many cars to even remember them all, worked as an automechanic, so I changed cars quite often, not always to the better.

I would like to have a lot of them back now. All I have to do is see an episode of Barrett Jackson and think I could finance 2 retirements of those cars.

My first car a 65 Mustang 272hp/289 4spd car coupe not fastback. 69 Dart GTS 383 4spd car. Also a car I really liked was my 71 Maverick Grabber factory V-8 car with 3spd on floor. After that trany died twice I put a ford 10 bolt top loader in it. Looked like this one http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123498&d=1419908036

Holly.......I would agree completely! I also had a 62 Fairlaine 500 Sport Coupe with that 221 V8. The lobe on the cam that drove the fuel pump kept falling off, so I sold it foolishly. The person I sold it to put a $25 electric fuel pump on it and was set to go. I so wish I had that one back.